Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes vs. Memphis Central (TN) 12/12
Holmes meets Memphis Central Saturday night at Warren Central at 6:30.

Memphis Central is the #6 team in TN and is led by 6'7 sophomore Jarnell Stokes, who is rated the #3 sophomore in the country. Central also boasts several other D1 prospects in 6'4 Tim Peete (3* Tulsa commit) and 6'4 sophomore Andre Applewhite who is making a name for himself nationally after having a big summer on the AAU circuit.

Thoughts?
Big question in this one is will Elijah play? Sounds like Central has some size and his shot blocking/altering presence in the middle defensively will be needed and his new found physical play in the middle will be a key to try to get some of the tree's from central in foul trouble. JJ, Eli, and Rico all have to be healthy and playing for this team to be a complete team, you can beat St. Henry or Newport without one of them but to compete with quality teams they all have to be there.
I agree, without Elijah, they don't appear to have the dominate presence in the paint that they will need. I think Holmes takes this one as another learning experience, and again will have played a team better than any team they will face in the State this year.
MC by 8
Just spoke with one of the Holmes players and Eli will play tomorrow night against Central.

I think the Dogs come out and take this one as Elijah will look to get back out there and make a statement against another big name player. He shut down Bowman's touted big man, holding him to just 8 points. I expect him to play with a vengeance and dominate inside once again.

The key to this game is guard play. Holmes has shown that down low they're very solid, but it's the guards who have hurt them in their first three games. JJ, Avery, and Slusher all three need to step it up in this one to win.

I expect an up and down game with both teams trying to get out and run and use their athleticism. As Stardust said, this will likely be a better team than anyone else they see in state.

I'm taking the Dogs:

Holmes- 65
Central- 61
I'm going to say that Holmes will win this one by 5.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Just spoke with one of the Holmes players and Eli will play tomorrow night against Central.

I think the Dogs come out and take this one as Elijah will look to get back out there and make a statement against another big name player. He shut down Bowman's touted big man, holding him to just 8 points. I expect him to play with a vengeance and dominate inside once again.

The key to this game is guard play. Holmes has shown that down low they're very solid, but it's the guards who have hurt them in their first three games. JJ, Avery, and Slusher all three need to step it up in this one to win.

I expect an up and down game with both teams trying to get out and run and use their athleticism. As Stardust said, this will likely be a better team than anyone else they see in state.

I'm taking the Dogs:

Holmes- 65
Central- 61
You seem to make a lot of contradicting statements, Wildcat, on another post you commented Pittman did not guard the Bowman big man, what was his name, Marrero? You stated they did not guard each other and, after a 12 point first half what did Pittman score in the second, 3 or 4? So far this year Holmes has not lived up to your hype!!
dortonite Wrote:You seem to make a lot of contradicting statements, Wildcat, on another post you commented Pittman did not guard the Bowman big man, what was his name, Marrero? You stated they did not guard each other and, after a 12 point first half what did Pittman score in the second, 3 or 4? So far this year Holmes has not lived up to your hype!!

Actually, I stated they didn't guard eachother in the second half. Pittman was on Marrero the whole first half and got Marrero in foul trouble so he was forced to sit since he had no answer for Eli.

In the second half Rice was switched to Marrero and he was shut down by him as well.

Also, Pittman didn't touch the ball nearly as much in the second half as he did the first half. Kind of hard to score when you aren't getting the ball.

Holmes hasn't lived up to my hype? They've played 3 games and the one they lost was a 2 point loss to a team that is the #1 team in the state for their class. Bowman is a very good team and if you watch the game you'll see Holmes simply shot themselves in the foot.

You have to realize Holmes is playing 5 new guys this year (Avery- transfer, Slusher- limited action last year, Mayfield- 5 mpg last year, Mcclendon- FRESHMAN, Hayes- no varsity action at all unless it was a blow out). They started off slow like this last year too and in the third game of the year blew Scott Co out of the gym. It takes time for a team to gel. Championships aren't won is December my friend.
One thing that is sticking out to me is how well Holmes shoots the ball. On the other hand the turnovers have come in bunches. That's to be expected early with the loss of Riley. As this team gels and find an identity they will be scary good. Rice will be key for Holmes and I look for him to move into the starting line up. He simply brings more to the table than Avery and Slusher. IMO if Holmes continues to bring Rice off the bench it will only hinder the growth of this team.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Actually, I stated they didn't guard eachother in the second half. Pittman was on Marrero the whole first half and got Marrero in foul trouble so he was forced to sit since he had no answer for Eli.

In the second half Rice was switched to Marrero and he was shut down by him as well.

Also, Pittman didn't touch the ball nearly as much in the second half as he did the first half. Kind of hard to score when you aren't getting the ball.

Holmes hasn't lived up to my hype? They've played 3 games and the one they lost was a 2 point loss to a team that is the #1 team in the state for their class. Bowman is a very good team and if you watch the game you'll see Holmes simply shot themselves in the foot.

You have to realize Holmes is playing 5 new guys this year (Avery- transfer, Slusher- limited action last year, Mayfield- 5 mpg last year, Mcclendon- FRESHMAN, Hayes- no varsity action at all unless it was a blow out). They started off slow like this last year too and in the third game of the year blew Scott Co out of the gym. It takes time for a team to gel. Championships aren't won is December my friend.

Great post KY. It's a long season and the goal for Holmes in Dec. is to just get better going into Jan.. Holmes is loaded with talent, it only a matter of time before it clicks. Henley is getting a lot of young guys game experience early which will be key moving forward. You have to get the young guys ready in case one of the big three gets in foul trouble.
dortonite Wrote:You seem to make a lot of contradicting statements, Wildcat, on another post you commented Pittman did not guard the Bowman big man, what was his name, Marrero? You stated they did not guard each other and, after a 12 point first half what did Pittman score in the second, 3 or 4? So far this year Holmes has not lived up to your hype!!

Exactly, I noticed the same thing on a couple of posts but maybe it makes him feel better afterwards.
tezzy859 Wrote:One thing that is sticking out to me is how well Holmes shoots the ball. On the other hand the turnovers have come in bunches. That's to be expected early with the loss of Riley. As this team gels and find an identity they will be scary good. Rice will be key for Holmes and I look for him to move into the starting line up. He simply brings more to the table than Avery and Slusher. IMO if Holmes continues to bring Rice off the bench it will only hinder the growth of this team.

Holmes shot the ball extremely well from outside last night. 6 players combined for nine 3 pointers.

I agree once they find their identity and gel, they are going to be scary good. They've had spurts this season and shown flashes but haven't put a complete game together yet.

I agree Rice will be key for Holmes. Anytime you can bring a guy off the bench that's going to give you 8-12 ppg, it's a big factor. I think Rice is better suited off the bench though. He played well in a starter role last night with Pittman out but I think Henley simply doesn't want his two biggest players starting together because of the potential scenario of getting both in foul trouble early. Rice is hands down the more talented player of the trio and provides more scoring than the other two. The only thing keeping Rice out of the starting line up right now is his defense. One thing I can say though is his rebounding has gotten better from game to game.

Honestly, he plays more than Slusher as it is so it doesn't really matter if he comes off the bench. K will continue to step up as the season progresses and I think eventually he could work his way in to a starting role.

tezzy859 Wrote:Great post KY. It's a long season and the goal for Holmes in Dec. is to just get better going into Jan.. Holmes is loaded with talent, it only a matter of time before it clicks. Henley is getting a lot of young guys game experience early which will be key moving forward. You have to get the young guys ready in case one of the big three gets in foul trouble.

Develpoing experience and depth in December is much more important than wins and losses. Henley is doing a tremendous job with getting the younger guys experience and seeing how they perform in certain situations.
justabballfan Wrote:Exactly, I noticed the same thing on a couple of posts but maybe it makes him feel better afterwards.

See post #8 and get your facts straight before you get on here calling people out.
central 69
Holmes56
cats15 Wrote:central 69
Holmes56

I doubt very seriously Holmes loses by 13.

IF they lose, it'll be a close game...within 7 or 8.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Holmes shot the ball extremely well from outside last night. 6 players combined for nine 3 pointers.

I agree once they find their identity and gel, they are going to be scary good. They've had spurts this season and shown flashes but haven't put a complete game together yet.

I agree Rice will be key for Holmes. Anytime you can bring a guy off the bench that's going to give you 8-12 ppg, it's a big factor. I think Rice is better suited off the bench though. He played well in a starter role last night with Pittman out but I think Henley simply doesn't want his two biggest players starting together because of the potential scenario of getting both in foul trouble early. Rice is hands down the more talented player of the trio and provides more scoring than the other two. The only thing keeping Rice out of the starting line up right now is his defense. One thing I can say though is his rebounding has gotten better from game to game.

Honestly, he plays more than Slusher as it is so it doesn't really matter if he comes off the bench. K will continue to step up as the season progresses and I think eventually he could work his way in to a starting role.

Develpoing experience and depth in December is much more important than wins and losses. Henley is doing a tremendous job with getting the younger guys experience and seeing how they perform in certain situations.

Finally we disagree on something lol. I actually think Rice is better suited to start. Just hear me out for a second. He is a young emotional player who has been waiting on this chance since 8th grade. He has been in the Holmes system practicing with the varisity longer than any current player on Holmes roster. He has to feel slighted. He knows he is better than Slusher and Avery. I think him seeing them being introduced as a starter is effecting his effort. It has to ware on you mentally, when you work hard for three years wait on your shot and when the time comes you have to come off the bench. I understand the point you make about foul trouble, but a 17 year old kid doesn't see it that way. Basketball is part mental and something like this can defeat a kid before he even steps on the court. I could be off base here, but I just don't understand how a transfer who is not giving you any production starts over a key member of a state championship team. But than again I'm a homer when it comes to Rice because he is a relative of mine. I would like to see what MHAB7878 thinks of this.
Wow, this is getting interesting. As I have stated before I dont think that this game will be lopsided either way due to both teams athleticism, and with Eli playing I like Holmes to win by a slim margin. As far as Holmes not living up to the Hype this season, that is interesting, they are 3 games into the year, they have a 15 point win, 19 point win, and a 2 point loss. I mean hey they lost there 2nd game last year by double digits to an in state team so if you ask me to lose by two to the #1 team in there class in Indiana is an overall improvement.

However I do agree that there are still kinks to work out, and guard play is one of the main ones. I have stated several times Rico at the point is not what I would like to see, however I didn't coach a team to a 36-2 mark and a state championship last year either. Henley will whip these guys into shape again, I don't see anyone in the 9th beating them, and once they get to Rupp they have the experiance and talent to take them a long way! How long of a way, well that is to be determined in March, not December!
tezzy859 Wrote:Finally we disagree on something lol. I actually think Rice is better suited to start. Just hear me out for a second. He is a young emotional player who has been waiting on this chance since 8th grade. He has been in the Holmes system practicing with the varisity longer than any current player on Holmes roster. He has to feel slighted. He knows he is better than Slusher and Avery. I think him seeing them being introduced as a starter is effecting his effort. It has to ware on you mentally, when you work hard for three years wait on your shot and when the time comes you have to come off the bench. I understand the point you make about foul trouble, but a 17 year old kid doesn't see it that way. Basketball is part mental and something like this can defeat a kid before he even steps on the court. I could be off base here, but I just don't understand how a transfer who is not giving you any production starts over a key member of a state championship team. But than again I'm a homer when it comes to Rice because he is a relative of mine. I would like to see what MHAB7878 thinks of this.

I don't think you're off base at all. Very legit points.

I told you after the Beechwood game that I felt K played bad in the first half because he was simply lacking the confidence and swagger that he had last year. Once he got on the board and got those first points out of the way, you could see a change in his game big time.

I'll be the first to admit that I was surprised when I first saw Holmes this year and Rice wasn't starting. I don't see how you can keep a kid like him out of the starting lineup.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks, starting with tonight. I spoke with K yesterday and told him now is his time to step up and he knows what he needs to do.
If I can weigh in on the Rice situation, I think he is a starting caliber player, I also think he can and will get starting minutes as the 6th man. I think off the bench he is an emotional player who provides a spark and is a legit scoring threat off the bench. Alot similar to he and Housely's role last year.

However, if Holmes had more depth at the C/PF position, I think him and Eli would be a great starting front court. However I see Henley's reasons not for starting him. If you start them both and they pick up some cheap one's early where does he go next???

I think there will be alot of times you see Eli and Rice on the court at the same time, I think Rice will play starter minutes most of the season, but I also agree with the concious decision Henley has made not to start them both.

I fully agree that he is a better player than Slusher and Avery as well