Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Team in the State
Who do you all think has been the best team in the history of highschool football in Kentucky?
1. 2002 Trinity Shamrocks
2. 2002 Male Bulldogs
3. 2000 Boyle County Rebels
1.) Trinity Shamrocks-2002
2.) Male Bulldogs-2002
3.) Bell County Bobcats-2008
highlands had some good teams but if i had to pick a 4th it would be the Boyle County Rebels team from 2004
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:1.) Trinity Shamrocks-2002
2.) Male Bulldogs-2002
highlands had some good teams but if i had to pick a 4th it would be the Boyle County Rebels team from 2004

I know Bobcat fans hold their 2008 team near and dear but I am not convinced they are one of the top 5 teams to come out of the mountains, let alone the state.

FWIW, of the teams I have seen few of them come close to the Highlands squad led by Lorenzan and Smith. The Brian Brohm led Trinity and Michael Bush led Male are #2 and #3. The 2000 Boyle County team is #4, and the Bailey and Duramus lead Pikeville team rounds up my top 5.
well bryan station had sone of the best teams ever as far as talent D1 and NFL players but they never really put it all together to win it all.
2.) Male Bulldogs-2002
I agree cuz have to put a star around the 2008 bobcats just cause i played......
I hate to bust the Bell County bubble but there isn't enough fingers and toes to count all the Highlands, Trinity, and St. Xavier teams that was better than last years Bell team.
2.) Male Bulldogs-2002

Highlands beat that Boyle team.
Twice.
The Trinity and Male teams of 2002, are lightyears ahead of everyone else in history.

Those were possibly two of the top teams in the Country, and were both Led by future NFL players.
The Iceboxx Wrote:The Trinity and Male teams of 2002, are lightyears ahead of everyone else in history.

Those were possibly two of the top teams in the Country, and were both Led by future NFL players.

I agree. those two have had some really good teams. i would also have to say there is a couple of Boyle county teams that where really really good back late 90s-2002. Highlands has had some good teams as well.
The Iceboxx Wrote:The Trinity and Male teams of 2002, are lightyears ahead of everyone else in history.

I will carry Highlands banner on this one.

The 1998 team finished 15-0 led by Derek Smith and Jared Lorenzan.

Aug 29, 98 Male at St. Lukes Bowl, Beechwood HS 51 - 41 (W)
Sep 4, 98 Campbell County home 88 - 12 (W)
Sep 11, 98 Holmes away 64 - 0 (W) District Game
Sep 18, 98 Newport Central Catholic home 62 - 0 (W)
Sep 25, 98 Scott home 72 - 7 (W) District Game
Oct 2, 98 Conner away 51 - 20 (W) District Game
Oct 9, 98 Covington Catholic home 70 - 26 (W) District Game
Oct 16, 98 Dixie Heights away 41 - 7 (W) District Game
Oct 23, 98 Ryle home 40 - 7 (W) District Game
Oct 30, 98 Simon Kenton away 28 - 12 (W) District Game
Nov 6, 98 East Jessamine home 63 - 12 (W) Class AAA Football Playoff
Nov 13, 98 Dixie Heights home 34 - 10 (W) Class AAA Football Playoff
Nov 20, 98 Covington Catholic home 37 - 14 (W) Class AAA Football Playoff
Nov 27, 98 Sheldon Clark away 44 - 28 (W) Class AAA Football Playoff
Dec 5, 98 Waggener at Ky. Fair & Expo. Center's Cardinal Stadium 56 - 7 (W)

They defeated Male who went on to win the 4A State Title.

Take a moment and look at some of those scores again...:yikes:

62-0 over NewCath
70-26 over CovCath
88-12 over Campbell County (who the week before beat Belfry in the Pike County Bowl)
This thread is hilarious. Ethnocentrism at it's finest.....On a high school level of course. No way to accurately predict who's fielded the best.....
I would say that Bell, Boyle, or either of the Louisville powerhouses (X or Trinity).
Defintely the 2002 Trinity team. That squad would have beaten many NAIA type schools.
I honestly don't see how any of you are actually mentioning Bell County. There is no way their best team in history could defeat the big dogs at their best like St. X, Trinity, Highlands, Male, Manual, etc.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I honestly don't see how any of you are actually mentioning Bell County. There is no way their best team in history could defeat the big dogs at their best like St. X, Trinity, Highlands, Male, Manual, etc.

Yep. Great point. I think that sometimes we get caught up in our own teams and tend to think they may be better than they really are. Trinity would have destroyed Bell County last year. Highlands probably would have too. I don't think there is anything wrong with being very zealous in supporting your team, but a sense of reality must kick in at some point...
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I honestly don't see how any of you are actually mentioning Bell County. There is no way their best team in history could defeat the big dogs at their best like St. X, Trinity, Highlands, Male, Manual, etc.

I have disagreed with you on some things but I agree with you on this one.
I've got to with that '98 Highlands group. Man, were they ever good.

I was fortunate enough to witness the '00 Boyle County team. That team was nearly unstoppable. Anyone else that seen them knows what I'm talking about.

I agree 100% here. I know I'll get dogged for this one, but it's the cold hard truth. That '08 Bobcat team was great, you can't argue with that. I would say they are only a top 10 Mountain team at best though. People that know the history of Kentucky high school football will agree with me here.