Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember Jacob Jenkins?
Remember former Manual High School standout Jacob Jenkins.

This time last year, Jenkins was ranked as the No. 2 senior in the state of Kentucky and had a bevy of Division I schools courting him. But he was injured most of last season at Manual.

The 6-foot-4 Jenkins opted to attend Oakdale (Conn.) St. Thomas More Prep School and on Wednesday signed a national letter-of-intent with Bellarmine.

"It's like a huge weight off my shoulders," Jenkins said this morning. "I can't wait to get back home and get (to Bellarmine). I am so ready to go."

Jenkins, who was considered one of the best shooters in the state when he played for Manual, said the experience of a prep school is "really preparing me."

"I have a lot of study time, the players here are so talented and it's like I already have a college coach," Jenkins said. "I think it's all worked out best for me."

St. Thomas More starts the season with an exhibition game this weekend.

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html
Wow, Bellarmine and number 2 in state as a JR. Isnt that kind of surprising? I know Bellarmine is a very good program but would think he could catch on with a D-1 school of some sort.
People don't realize the extent of Jenkins injury. He had a fracture and a chipped bone in his left foot (elevating foot). He played on it just to give Manual their first back-to-back district titles in years.

Immediately after the season, Jenkins had surgery to remove a bone from the top of his foot. Rehab was extensive and brutal. While he had 9 D1 offers prior to the injury, none were ready to allow him to sign until the question mark of his foot was removed. Bellermine stayed with him as Jenkins opted to prep school and Jenkins committed to the Knights.

Obviously, Jenkins fought back and rehabbed himself back to 110%. Many of the previous schools that had offered came back, including an option to preferred walkon to UL. However, Jenkins chosed to stay loyal and Bellermine is where he will playing.
qryche11 Wrote:Wow, Bellarmine and number 2 in state as a JR. Isnt that kind of surprising? I know Bellarmine is a very good program but would think he could catch on with a D-1 school of some sort.

As it stated in the article, an injury plagued senior season ran a lot of those D1 schools off.