Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iverson tells Grizzlies he'd like to play in Memphis
All-Star guard Allen Iverson(notes) has through representatives told the Grizzlies he would like to play in Memphis, an NBA source told the Memphis Commerical Appeal Thursday.

The high-scoring veteran is a free agent for the first time in his professional career. Iverson, 34, reportedly has only had mild discussions with the Miami Heat since the free agency period began Wednesday. There were also internet reports Thursday that the Chicago Bulls have interest in Iverson.
The Grizzlies had no comment about Iverson's inquiry.

While no deal is imminent and conversations have been only exploratory, Griz brass are said to be weighing the pros and cons of adding Iverson to the team's youth movement, according to the Commercial Appeal.

Iverson would certainly have to take a major pay cut from the $21 million he earned last season with Detroit. It is believed that the Griz would only entertain Iverson at what they'd deem a reasonable price, and if the 13-year veteran agreed to play off the bench.

Those criteria would seem to make Iverson and the Grizzlies a bad fit.
Source: Memphis Commercial Appeal

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/...nba,174594
How would that work with he and OJ?
Stardust Wrote:How would that work with he and OJ?

SD, i really dont know maybe put Mayo as the PG and Iverson at SG?
With OJ, Mike Conley, & newly acquired Quentin Richardson, I just wasn't sure where the fit would be.
Stardust Wrote:With OJ, Mike Conley, & newly acquired Quentin Richardson, I just wasn't sure where the fit would be.

Quentin Richardson has been traded to the Clippers for Zach Randolph
Strikeout King Wrote:Quentin Richardson has been traded to the Clippers for Zach Randolph

I missed that.:Thumbs:
Has the deal been finalized? Grizz roster has all the new players acquired, but still have QR: http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/roster/
Stardust Wrote:I missed that.:Thumbs:

anytime! i dont think the trade is finalised yet bc Richardson is still on the '09/'10 Roster for the Grizzlies but both Grizzlies and Clippers have agreed to the trade according to Espn.com i think the trade happened yesterday or day before.

this is how i see the starting lineup for them next year

C - Marc Gasol
F - Rudy Gay/Zach Randolph
F - Mike Conley
G - O.J. Mayo
G - Allen Iverson (if he ends up there)
Strikeout King Wrote:anytime! i dont think the trade is finalised yet bc Richardson is still on the '09/'10 Roster for the Grizzlies but both Grizzlies and Clippers have agreed to the trade according to Espn.com i think the trade happened yesterday or day before.

C - Marc Gasol
F - Mike Conley
G - O.J. Mayo
G - Allen Iverson (if he ends up there)

That would be in interesting line-up, fun, but maybe too small with the 1-3:

Gasol - 7-1
Gay 6-8 / Rnadolph 6-8
Conley 6-1
OJ 6-4
AI 6-1
anytime! i dont think the trade is finalised yet bc Richardson is still on the '09/'10 Roster for the Grizzlies but both Grizzlies and Clippers have agreed to the trade according to Espn.com i think the trade happened yesterday or day before.

C - Marc Gasol
F - Mike Conley
G - O.J. Mayo
G - Allen Iverson (if he ends up there)[/QUOTE]

heres the link to the Grizzlies/Clippers trade

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4301324
I really don't know if there is a fit for Allen Iverson anymore. He is past his prime and seems to sort of deteriorate the chemistry of whatever team he is on.

Don't get me wrong, his scoring titles prove that he is truly a great, but I just don't see Memphis being a good place for him. Iverson still likes to think he can be the star of a franchise. Rudy Gay is the face of the Memphis Grizzlies and will be for years to come. Gay and Mayo could have a good duo there for the next few years and I think bringing in Allen Iverson would spoil that.

If the the Grizzlies are smart, they'll remember what happened to Detroit after Billups left and Iverson arrived.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I really don't know if there is a fit for Allen Iverson anymore. He is past his prime and seems to sort of deteriorate the chemistry of whatever team he is on.

Don't get me wrong, his scoring titles prove that he is truly a great, but I just don't see Memphis being a good place for him. Iverson still likes to think he can be the star of a franchise. Rudy Gay is the face of the Memphis Grizzlies and will be for years to come. Gay and Mayo could have a good duo there for the next few years and I think bringing in Allen Iverson would spoil that.

If the the Grizzlies are smart, they'll remember what happened to Detroit after Billups left and Iverson arrived.

I agree ODM!!!!!!!!!!GREAT POST!!!:Thumbs: