Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region: What would be your gameplan vs. Shelby Valley???
If you were an opposing coach against Shelby Valley in the 15th Regional tournament what gameplan would you use that would give you the best shot at pulling an upset or making it a close game????

Personally I would take my top three ball handlers and the 1st lead I got I would hold the basketball and run as much of the clock as I possibly could every possesion and run something similar to a 1-4 or a 1-3-1 and tell my team to take nothing but a wide open layup. I know how good Shelby Valley is defensively and know this game plan would have too be excecuted to profection but imo thats the only shot anyone has too defete SV in the regional.

I remember when OBI nearly upset Clay County a few years back doing this and the final score was like 16-12.
You Still Have To Get It Across Half Court In The Alotted 10 Seconds...good Luck With That One.
JIMLEE58 Wrote:You Still Have To Get It Across Half Court In The Alotted 10 Seconds...good Luck With That One.
:thatsfunn Yeah thats true.
JIMLEE58 Wrote:You Still Have To Get It Across Half Court In The Alotted 10 Seconds...good Luck With That One.

Attack the press with the dribble..they take few charges and have more trouble trapping the speed dribble. Then continue to attack the basket and draw them in the air as much as possible..they love to contest and block shots. Penetrate to pass and not just stand and pass..they anticipate well. You have to hit open shots and all your free throws. If you can get a few in foul trouble you can make a dent. If the oficials allow them to slap and push on the press as usual then forget it. Sometimes they just shoot and run little offense by freelancing and if they are hitting watch out..but if they are not then you have a slim chance.
Any thing you do against valley has risk... i personally would take my time getting the ball across half court.. sv main game is the guard pressure out front.. after you get the ball across half court you must attack the basket and score quick.keep the ball away from the guard pressure if they run man to man take your guards to the your basket baseline make justice and logan follow you there dont let them setup in the back court and put pressure on you.. make the bigger guys do that. and make your free throws and shoot well from the out side. like i said its all a risk they have good players at least 2 deep on the bench. but you have to take the guards out of the pressure defense if possible .
Don't know if there is a good gameplan for them to get beat in the region. But i think i would pack in a zone and make them hit the outside shot something they have not done well this season. But just like what happened when phelps tried it. Its just a shot in the dark and you may get beat 40.
Get a lead and play stall ball the rest of the game, best chance you have.
Play them exactly the way Perry Central did last week. It seemed to work for them.

Don't turn the ball over, and have someone on your team like Perry's Noble who can knock down a lot of outside shots. Do this, and you have a decent chance.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yep, if you can knock down a bunch of 3's you have a good chance of beating Valley, but that being said, Valley has to be missing any 3's they attempt.
BB5 Wrote:Don't know if there is a good gameplan for them to get beat in the region. But i think i would pack in a zone and make them hit the outside shot something they have not done well this season. But just like what happened when phelps tried it. Its just a shot in the dark and you may get beat 40.

I'll take Hatfield and Elisha from the 3-point line to the free throw line shots all day.
I'd try to score more points than them Big Grin
More Cowbell Wrote:Play them exactly the way Perry Central did last week. It seemed to work for them.

Don't turn the ball over, and have someone on your team like Perry's Noble who can knock down a lot of outside shots. Do this, and you have a decent chance.

This makes a lot of sense. It is going to take a lot of luck, high shooting

percentage, low turnovers, bad night by SV and you might try slipping the refs

a pint before tip-off.(Just Joking)
Put your best athletes on the floor and tell them to play hard. Really it is that simple. All of these plans are good, but to get the suprise on SV just line up and play them hard. Teams with depth will have an advantage as they would have more fouls to give. The only weakness i see is that SV is not physical, play them physical and hard,. This is easier said than done!