Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic 67 - St. Henry 58 (OT) All 'A'
Newport Central Catholic 67 St. Henry 58 (OT)

Newport Central Catholic 11 11 14 15 16 67

St. Henry 14 10 14 13 7 58

All 'A' Classic 9th Region Semifinal at Newport Central Catholic
Newport Central Catholic (9-7) -- Meyer 4, Pangallo 5, J. Geisler 14, Connor 7, M. Geisler 25, Moore 1, Ollberdine 11.
St. Henry (10-9) -- Volv 5, Hills 4, Swikert 16, Speed 12, Bessler 6, Zumdick 10, Dault 2, Barnett 3.
The Touchstone Energy All "A" Classic Ninth Region final will be an all-Newport affair - in Newport - and a rematch of one of the season's best games, all wrapped into one.

Newport Central Catholic outlasted St. Henry 67-58 in overtime in Friday night's second semifinal game at Newport. Awaiting the Thoroughbreds in the championship game is rival Newport, the team that beat them on a buzzer-beater earlier this month.

"That was a tough loss, because we're such big rivals," said NewCath senior Matt Giesler. "We're looking for revenge."

Giesler scored 12 of his game-high 25 points in overtime.He made eight of nine free throws in the extra frame.

The lopsided overtime period was an anticlimactic ending to a back-and-forth game. There were six lead changes and seven ties in regulation.

"It was the best game we've played all year, and we knew that's what we were going to need," NewCath coach Grant Brannen said. "I knew it was going to be a back-and-forth battle. We got up early and they came back. Then we came back and they came back. But that's how St. Henry's teams are. They're going to fight until the end."

With 2:43 to play in regulation, NewCath held a 49-42 advantage, the biggest lead of the game to that point. But the Crusaders ended the fourth quarter on a 9-3 run, capped by a Cameron Speed drive and layup with four seconds remaining, to tie the score 51-51.

"I thought he was going to shoot a 3-pointer, because that's what the play was designed for," St. Henry coach Dave Faust said. "But he was smart enough to take it to the basket."

NewCath called a timeout with three seconds remaining, then another when St. Henry's defense prevented an inbounds pass. Senior guard Jeramie Connor got off a halfcourt shot at the buzzer, but it was off the mark.

And then NewCath's superior size, and the 6-foot-3 Giesler took over.

"We knew they had mismatches inside," Faust said. "And they did a great job getting the ball where they wanted it."

Giesler scored six of the Thoroughbreds' first eight points in overtime. His 3-point play midway through the period gave NewCath a 59-53 lead.

"As a senior, I thought I needed to step up and take the game into my hands," Giesler said. "I just tried to get the ball and be strong with it. Then I just had to make my free throws and it was game over."

Joey Swikert led St. Henry with 16 points. Giesler's younger brother Jake Giesler, a sophomore center, chipped in with 14 points and 11 rebounds.

The game was a rematch of last year's semifinal, when St. Henry beat NewCath en route to the title. That loss ended the Thoroughbreds' string of four straight Ninth Region titles. They'll attempt to win their fifth in six seasons at 7:30 p.m. today.

"Newport is very, very talented," Brannen said. "They deserved to win the last time. They came out with more fire and more passion. (Tonight) is going to be a battle. There's going to be a big crowd. It's going to be a battle of Newport."

http://preps.cincinnati.com/nky.aspx