Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simpson picks up scholarship offer from UC
Posted by RyanErnst at 1/22/2009 12:59 EST on Cincinnati.com

According to Simon Kenton football coach Jeff Marksberry, SK junior running back and defensive back Miles Simpson (below) received a scholarship offer from the University of Cincinnati. Simpson, the Enquirer player of the year, also has offers from Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville and Central Michigan.

Simpson (6-2, 195), helped the Pioneers to a Class 6A state runner-up finish last season. He led Northern Kentucky with 2,309 rushing yards, 41 total touchdowns and 264 points. The point total tied him for 10th place in the state's single-season record book.
That's awesome.
Do you know who is leading for his services? I hope its the Wildcats. The cats need another quality back because D.Locke may not be healthy next year.
UK has expressed interest and was one of the first schools to make an offer to Miles.

Schools that have made offeres: UK, UC, Louisville, Indiana & Central Michigan. Others who have formally shown interest, but have yet to make offical offers are Duke & Nebraska.

Coach Nord of Louisville has been the most recognizable face at Simon Kenton games. The interesting thing about that is Coach Nord is the Tight-End's coach. Miles is 6-2 195, so I would be hard pressed to see him be recruited as a TE. It was Coach Nord that recruited Zach Kiernan from Newport Catholic two years ago as a TE, so it would not surprise me if they look at him for a receiver/slot guy.

Indiana appears to be the only school that would be open to Miles potentially getting playing time on the defensive side of the ball. Miles acclaim is for his running game, but he was as good if not better Safety as a running back.
Stardust Wrote:UK has expressed interest and was one of the first schools to make an offer to Miles.

Schools that have made offeres: UK, UC, Louisville, Indiana & Central Michigan. Others who have formally shown interest, but have yet to make offical offers are Duke & Nebraska.

Coach Nord of Louisville has been the most recognizable face at Simon Kenton games. The interesting thing about that is Coach Nord is the Tight-End's coach. Miles is 6-2 195, so I would be hard pressed to see him be recruited as a TE. It was Coach Nord that recruited Zach Kiernan from Newport Catholic two years ago as a TE, so it would not surprise me if they look at him for a receiver/slot guy.

Indiana appears to be the only school that would be open to Miles potentially getting playing time on the defensive side of the ball. Miles acclaim is for his running game, but he was as good if not better Safety as a running back.

Thanks for that information. Sound like the kid is a well rounded athlete. And I agree, he is probably too small for a TE. Sounds like the perfect size though for a slot receiver depending on his speed and acceleration. Kentucky could use him at either position, RB or WR.. I don't think Kentucky would have recruited him as safety, could be wrong though, they already have decent experience and depth at the safety spot nexy year

He kinda puts in the mind of David Jones but he is considerably taller at 6'2. David was a beast of a running back for Beflry. He ended up being a quality defensive back for the Cats. Either way, I hope he stays in the state. It's nice to see the great players stay home to represent the state of Kentucky, be UL or UK.
I think this is just the tip of the iceberg in the recruitment of Simon... if this kid takes hsi time through the process he will have a very impressive list of schools to choose from.
This kid is the real deal. I've seen him play a couple of times.

I agree with Stardust. He is probably a better safety than he is a running back. I mean that as a compliment. I think the sky is the limit for him.
I've wathced this young man play since he was a 7th grader. He is extremely well grounded and has an excellent attitude about the game and more importantly, his academics. His father, former college runningback from Newport, has been an extremely possitive influence and role model to Miles.

IMO, he stays home, whether that be UC, UK UofL. For similar reasons, he chose to stay in school with his friends at Simon Kenton. He played KHSAA football growing with with the Ft. Mitchell Raiders, which is a feeder for both the Dixie Colonels and the Beechwood Tigers. Because of Kenton open school district policy, he could have attended either school, but chose to stay attend SK.

One would only have to look back three years ago to see that SK was at the bottom of 6A football in NKY to see what Miles has meant to Coach Marksberry and the SK program.

He draws tremendous similarities to Shaun Alexander with his build and desire. I've seen them both in a single football game: catch, run, INT return and SPT return for a TD.
FBALL Wrote:This kid is the real deal. I've seen him play a couple of times.

I agree with Stardust. He is probably a better safety than he is a running back. I mean that as a compliment. I think the sky is the limit for him.

I sure hope UK can land this kid. You all got me excited talking about him. Will keep my ears open.. He was a senior this year, right?
He was a junior this year.
FBALL Wrote:He was a junior this year.

Yes, Junior. Should be on the short list for the candidate's of Mr. Football next year along with another 2,300+ yard back and Junior Charles Quainoo from Boone Co. 6A is loaded with talented running backs for 2009, including Austin Johnson of Campbell Co who will likely be a 1,200 yard back in the Camels "Pass-First" offensive scheme.
FBALL Wrote:This kid is the real deal. I've seen him play a couple of times.

I have seen him play since the 8th grade, and to me he is a RB, and can be a great one, but I do not know if he is fast enough for a D1 back, looks good in 6A games, but that is not SEC football, if not RB I like him at LB, but he has taken Sk to a new level, he is a great player and I also love to see him play at UK.
Good News
I have seen him first hand ovr the last few years, bing on the field next to him. Physically he has a body for the college football.

I think he can play at the D1 level. Speed is not an issue for him, it is good enough for a D1 running back.

I agree with some of the other posts, he is as good on the defensive side of the ball as the offense.

I've really not seen how well he can catch the ball. Simon Kenton did not have much of a passing game against Campbell County this year.