Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sfms football
Has anyone watched these youg kids play. Why dont they ever get in the paper like other middle school teams, they are the Floyd County Champs.
Does the Raider's coach work for the Floyd County Times?
No.....
Jamie Howell does.
Good luck to all the middle school, you are the foundation for the future. :Thumbs:
These boys need to be recognized. Have they lost a game yet? Hopefully it'll carry on with them throughout high school. Coaches Greg Burke and Chad Hall have really done a good job with them.
They have not been beat yet. They have outscored there opponents 190-30 so far this season.
Have they played any decent competition though? (Johnson County, Belfry, Virgie)?
Was going to play Johnson County, but Johnson County called and said they were playing someone else. Was going to play Virgie and Belfry but never happened. Beat Prestonsburg.
Ohh I see....Well I'm sure they're a great team...I'd love to see them play one of those teams though preferably Johnson or Virgie because those two usually set the standard...Maybe a win, or even a close game with one of those would get them some recognition...
I've watched sfms play and they have some quick talented players. I hope the players keep improving and come out for the high skl team to try an help them in the next couple of yrs.
SFMS defeated Adams (defending Floyd County Champions)
OOPS, hit enter too soon.

Any way,

SFMS defeated Adams(Prestonsburg)(defending Floyd County Champs)
Adams defeated JCMS ( 8th grade)

and I do believe I read somewhere that Adams had also defeated Belfry this season. Not sure if it was 7th grade or 8th grade from Belfry.
Congrats to the young ball players. I believe every local newspaper should have coverage of the ball games even if it is as simple as a score. It means a lot of the kids.
I dont know anything about SFMS but I know that everyone keeps talking Belfry and Virgie being tough..Belfry has been getting thumped on a regular basis and Virgie is VERY BEATABLE....They barely squeaked by Grundy 14-0
they could not run the ball on that team and any team with a bunch of kids who will HIT will give them tremendous trouble....the key to beat them is a good secondary as they have 2 recievers one 6"3 one 6"4 very average talent there just big...a good corner or safety that will unload on them will
make them think too much to catch the ball...this team is very big in size for a middle school team but they arent use to being hit....im not ragging them before somebody starts busting a blood vessel im just giving ya an honest scounting report.....if they venture into floyd county or down to paintsville
theyll get there butt"s kicked..Newsome knows he can be beat this year and theyll bea lot of not knowing" why we couldnt play"....
If they have 2 recivers that are 6'3 and 6'4 someone needs to check some birth certificates.
In Floyd County you cannot turn 15 before August 1 of the current school year. If you reach your 15th birthday before that you are not eligible to play Middle School sports. Do other counties have similar policies?
Not sure but they should
there kids hold back in the 7th im told and some hold back or fail in the 8th.
and yep there a bunch of big kids..my hats off to Greg for getting the kids
that fierd up for football..Shelby Valley will have to benifit from it unless
they goe to Pikeville after they leave Virgie.One kid from last year did that and I would have to say that was a bad blow to SV that kid would be having one heck of a season there....
In Floyd County if you are repeating a grade, you cannot play a sport at the same grade level twice. So if you repeat 7th grade and you played footbal the first year, you are out of football the second year. If you did not play football the first year in 7th grade, you can play the second year in 7th grade. And so on. The only way around it is to be examined by a psychologist/psyciatrist(sp?) and have them determine that you are not socially mature enough to go on. You have to prove that you are staying back for nonsport reasons. Of course, I guess if you want to stay back bad enough, there are Doctors out there willing to help you out. This is adopted Floyd County Board of Education Policy.

The Floyd County Middle School Boys BasketballTournament was placed on hold about 4 years ago for this reason. A court injunction was put in place. The tournament was held up for a week or so because of private school students who had supposedly been 4.0 students but were repeating a particular grade after transferring from public school to private school. The tournament resumed and I don't recall any of the players being determined ineligible that year.
First of all you guys need to get ur facts straight
All of virgie players are legal
Yes, the 6'4 and 6'3 wideouts are holdbacks but they are legal holdbacks
The 6'4 wideout(Ashley Hatfield) which has played half the season as QB because of the injures just turned 14 in july
ANd the 6'3 wideout will turn 15 next year
So all players all legal
next time get your facts start befroe pointing fingers
I dont know who you are telling to get there facts strait BUS but I KNOW THERE LEGAL AND I DIDNT SAY ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY! IF YOUR GONNA SPOUT OFF AT LEAST AIM YOUR SARCASM TO WHOM YOUR PI$$ED AT AT NOT EVERY POSTER...IVE COMMENDED GREG NEWSOM FOR BEING ABLE TO GET THE KIDS TO HOLD BACK..
THE BUS Wrote:First of all you guys need to get ur facts straight
All of virgie players are legal
Yes, the 6'4 and 6'3 wideouts are holdbacks but they are legal holdbacks
The 6'4 wideout(Ashley Hatfield) which has played half the season as QB because of the injures just turned 14 in july
ANd the 6'3 wideout will turn 15 next year
So all players all legal
next time get your facts start befroe pointing fingers

I GOT 2 FAVORITE TEAMS: GRUNDY RISING WAVE AND WHOEVER PLAYS VIRGIE !!!!!
Watch it guys!!

And noone said that they were illeagel holdbacks there BUS....they were just questioning what the rules were in the Pike County system :thumb:

But WELCOME TO THE SITE!!! :Thumbs: