Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All-Time Johnson Central Team
who would be your all-time lineup at JC? give a me a lineup and 5 or 6 pitchers. also, name some bench players too.

Just some names I would throw out are Willie Blair, Heath Castle, and Shawn Hall.
Gotta throw Harry Meek in there also.
Probably one of the best all-around baseball players to come out of that school.
EastKyMiner Wrote:who would be your all-time lineup at JC? give a me a lineup and 5 or 6 pitchers. also, name some bench players too.

Just some names I would throw out are Willie Blair, Heath Castle, and Shawn Hall.

Other than the pitchers you named. I would throw out Mike Conley (73-76), Mike LeMaster (81-84), Alex Ward (93-96), Adam Blanton (01-05), and Matt Fyffe (03-07).
I think you could throw out the other Blanton brother. Pretty good pitcher when I watched him in the region tournament.
I know he's wasnt a player but you cant have an all time JCHS team with out him...
Joe Taylor!!!!
Derek Preston (1990), Mitchell Johnson (1990), Tim Pelphrey (1990)
Willie Blair - P
Heath Castle - P
Mike Hall - P
Sean Hall - P
Mike LeMaster - P
Matt Fyffe - P

Harry Meek - SS
Larry Stacy - C
Wayne Arrowood - CF
Mitch Johnson - RF
Donnie Hackworth - 3B
Derek Preston - 1B
Craig Delong - 2B
LF - ???? Still up in the air on that spot.

I'm sure I have forgot a few names. Just drawing a blank right now.
OffTheHook Wrote:Willie Blair - P
Heath Castle - P
Mike Hall - P
Sean Hall - P
Mike LeMaster - P
Matt Fyffe - P

Harry Meek - SS
Larry Stacy - C
Wayne Arrowood - CF
Mitch Johnson - RF
Donnie Hackworth - 3B
Derek Preston - 1B
Craig Delong - 2B
LF - ???? Still up in the air on that spot.

I'm sure I have forgot a few names. Just drawing a blank right now.
I think that's a pretty good list OTH. I dont think that he probably got the recognition that he may deserve, but I thought that Jeremy VanHoose was about the most patient, disciplined and confident batter that I have seen play at JC. He was not a real athletic player,( that could be his only determent), but maybe the best pure hitter I have seen play at JC. He just had an incredible knack of understanding the art of hitting. Perhaps he could fit in the roster somewhere. I should also have mentioned Mike Hall previously. I overlooked him, but he should be there. Thanks for mentioning him. There is also another catcher that played at Central a few years ago that may be the best catcher to come out of Central, but his name is escaping me right now. How about some help with that one, someone? His name's right on the tip of my tounge. Timmy Baldwin also signed to play at Morehead as a catcher.

He didn't play at Johnson Central , but did for Oil Springs, but Charlie Adkins could have been the best pitcher to come out of Johnson County, period. I know Willie made it for 10 seasons in the bigs, but Charlie was well on his way with the Reds, before his arm injury.

I also want to throw in a little biased plug for Adam Blanton. While all of the names that you have listed are very deserving, I think there is an arguement for his inclusion . He had to defeat 3 straight ranked teams his junior season to get Central to the final 4, and in doing so was untouchable and dominating for 4 straight post season games. After almost 40 years of the schools existance , and as many good players that have come through Johnson Central, he is the first to ever win a sectional game and is still the only one to ever win a state tournament game. Nobody in the history of Johnson Central has ever been able to accomplish what he did his junior season. Had it not been for his back injury causing him to miss his senior season he more than likely would have been at UK, because they did in fact make him an offer after his junior season. Even with all that, he was still offered by Marshall an opportunity to transfer 2 seasons ago, but declined. He was also the Mid South Conference Pitcher of the Week twice just this past season playing for the #6 ranked team in the country, and it's quite possible they will be even better this season. After having to miss his senior season with a broken back and after undergoing elbow surgery to miss another season in college, he is still able to hit 93 on the gun. Incredible for a 5'9", 175 pounder. Going into his junior season he has a 10-4 career college record. Considering all of that I might slide him into Mike LeMaster's spot if you are going with just 6 pitchers. But never the less, and not meaning to slight him in any way, because Mike is a great choice, is a good friend, and was a great pitcher in high school.
like I said, I was drawing a blank and thank you for pluggung it with a few deserving names. Yes, you are right about Adam. The other kid I think you may be talking about was Shane Sturgill I believe. But, I think I would still take Larry Stacy. Just my opinion though.

As for Adkins, Collins and Setser. For sure some of the best from the county. I was just going by the thread of JC players.

Still having trouble with another deserving OF though. Give me a hand.
OffTheHook Wrote:like I said, I was drawing a blank and thank you for pluggung it with a few deserving names. Yes, you are right about Adam. The other kid I think you may be talking about was Shane Sturgill I believe. But, I think I would still take Larry Stacy. Just my opinion though.

As for Adkins, Collins and Setser. For sure some of the best from the county. I was just going by the thread of JC players.

Still having trouble with another deserving OF though. Give me a hand.
No it's not Shane that I am thinking about. Several catchers before him.

Some of the best players from their eras would be Mike Conley, Jack Wireman, Jerry Pelfrey, and Scott Murray. As a matter of fact, I might put Scott at second on the alltime list and move Delong to the outfield.
willie blair-p
heath castle-p
grap-p
mike hall-p
adam blanton-p
matt fyfe-p

donny hackworth & kevin stacey-c
mo hall-1st
harry meek-ss
craig delong-3rd
mitchell johnson-cf
2nd?
lf?
rf?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I think that's a pretty good list OTH. I dont think that he probably got the recognition that he may deserve, but I thought that Jeremy VanHoose was about the most patient, disciplined and confident batter that I have seen play at JC. He was not a real athletic player,( that could be his only determent), but maybe the best pure hitter I have seen play at JC. He just had an incredible knack of understanding the art of hitting. Perhaps he could fit in the roster somewhere. I should also have mentioned Mike Hall previously. I overlooked him, but he should be there. Thanks for mentioning him. There is also another catcher that played at Central a few years ago that may be the best catcher to come out of Central, but his name is escaping me right now. How about some help with that one, someone? His name's right on the tip of my tounge. Timmy Baldwin also signed to play at Morehead as a catcher.

He didn't play at Johnson Central , but did for Oil Springs, but Charlie Adkins could have been the best pitcher to come out of Johnson County, period. I know Willie made it for 10 seasons in the bigs, but Charlie was well on his way with the Reds, before his arm injury.

I also want to throw in a little biased plug for Adam Blanton. While all of the names that you have listed are very deserving, I think there is an arguement for his inclusion . He had to defeat 3 straight ranked teams his junior season to get Central to the final 4, and in doing so was untouchable and dominating for 4 straight post season games. After almost 40 years of the schools existance , and as many good players that have come through Johnson Central, he is the first to ever win a sectional game and is still the only one to ever win a state tournament game. Nobody in the history of Johnson Central has ever been able to accomplish what he did his junior season. Had it not been for his back injury causing him to miss his senior season he more than likely would have been at UK, because they did in fact make him an offer after his junior season. Even with all that, he was still offered by Marshall an opportunity to transfer 2 seasons ago, but declined. He was also the Mid South Conference Pitcher of the Week twice just this past season playing for the #6 ranked team in the country, and it's quite possible they will be even better this season. After having to miss his senior season with a broken back and after undergoing elbow surgery to miss another season in college, he is still able to hit 93 on the gun. Incredible for a 5'9", 175 pounder. Going into his junior season he has a 10-4 career college record. Considering all of that I might slide him into Mike LeMaster's spot if you are going with just 6 pitchers. But never the less, and not meaning to slight him in any way, because Mike is a great choice, is a good friend, and was a great pitcher in high school.
Mark Shortridge I think is the catcher you're talking about. He's was in the 1995 class.
Don Carlo Wrote:Mark Shortridge I think is the catcher you're talking about. He's was in the 1995 class.

Yes, that's who I was meaning. Thanks!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:No it's not Shane that I am thinking about. Several catchers before him.

Some of the best players from their eras would be Mike Conley, Jack Wireman, Jerry Pelfrey, and Scott Murray. As a matter of fact, I might put Scott at second on the alltime list and move Delong to the outfield.

Scott belongs somewhere on the team. Mr. Kimball, very few on here are old enough to have seen him play. But we did. I remember catching Scott in his backyard with only a mask and glove, no chest protector or shin guards. Scared me to death.
THOMCAT Wrote:Scott belongs somewhere on the team. Mr. Kimball, very few on here are old enough to have seen him play. But we did. I remember catching Scott in his backyard with only a mask and glove, no chest protector or shin guards. Scared me to death.
There is no doubt that Scott was one of the best baseball players (and athlete in general) to ever come out of Johnson Central. Like you said there is just not very many people on this a board that are old enough to have ever have watched him play. He was as smooth as silk, in all that he did on the baseball field. Scott was a humble sort of guy, never the type of guy that sought the limelight, and that may be a reason as to why he has never gotten a lot of hype and recognition. Scott played SS, but it is hard to put him over Harry, so I would give him the other side of the middle infield on my all time team.

If nothing else, he would for sure be on the all time Sitkee Senators team.Big Grin Smile
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Yes, that's who I was meaning. Thanks!

Mark Shortridge was probably the best hitter I've seen wearing a Central uniform, as well as best catcher. I only go back to 1990 or so, but still. He was a heck of a player.

If that team could've figured out how to hit Curnutte's curveball against Lawrence County in the '95 sectionals...you would've heard his name a lot more. But they were a team of destiny, Lawrence County that year.
I can't believe Josh Banks name hasn't been mentioned