Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
CovCath
0%
Highlands
100.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic vs. Highlands - Sept. 26
One of the better rivalries in the state. I'll take the Blue Birds in this one by 2 touchdowns.

Thoughts & predictions?
I'll take Highlands by 10.
Highlands
Highlands by two tds
This should be a good game for Highlands but expect the unexpected when these two get together.

Cov. Cath. boast about the super O-line they support this year, as Highlands has a well oiled D-line.
highlands
Highlands by 1. 22-21 on a last second go for two. Don't know if it will be that close but that would be a heck of a game.
Having had a chance to watch both teams at least a couple of times this year, Highlands "should" win this game by 4 or 5 tds. CovCath is very, very slow.

Looking at the only common opponent to date:

A Dixie offense that rang up 47 points on CovCath's D, scored zero points on Highlands starting D. Unless CovCath made a lot of improvements over the the course of two weeks, I believe Highlands should score a bunch of points against CovCath, with or without Josh Conner (who is rumored to be returning to action this week after missing the first 4 games after suffering a broken fib on Highlands first drive against Male in the last preseason scrimmage).

CovCath's O has been able to score points against Dixie, Scott and NewCath (none however against the one strong team they played, Cardinal Mooney out of Youngstown, Oh). Against Dixie, they scored 49. But don't expect to see Highlands secondary allowing CovCath receivers to get behind them the way Dixie did for 3 easy td passes. I also expect Highlands, with its quickness and speed, to have much better success getting to CovCath's qb (Isler) in the pocket. While Isler is blessed with a strong arm, he isn't the best scrambler, so if Highlands can force him out of the pocket, I think we'll see some interceptions. CovCath does have a huge offensive line, but in spite of that, they have at times had trouble running the ball. The matchup of CovCath size on O vs Highlands speed D I think will determine the winner. If CovCath can successfully run the football, force Highlands D to overcommit to stop the run and thus give Isler more time on play action passes, they will be able to keep Highlands O off the field. If they can't run the ball however, it could get ugly fast. And I don't think CovCath is going to be able to run the ball very effectively against Highlands.

On special teams, the nod goes to Highlands. While CovCath has an adequate kicker, he's no where close to the quality of kickers that CovCath has been blessed with recently. Highlands kicker has the stronger leg and probably has been better than 60% at hitting the endzone on kick offs. Highlands speed gives them a big advantage returning and covering kickoffs and punts.

Which brings me back to where I started. Examining these two teams, Highlands is a significantly better team. But as we all know (and were reminded last night when Oregon State upset USC), the better team does not always win. Plus, given the rivalry, I expect CovCath to actually play better than normal. The question is will that be enough to keep the game close. If Highlands gets up first by a couple of tds, it could be a blow out. If they let CovCath hang around for the first half, it could turn into a nail biter.