Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
59th and 60th
With consolidation and the reduction in the numbers of high schools maybe its time to do away with basketball districts all together. Maybe its time to just start tournament play with a seeded 16 or 17 team regional tournament.
What is the point if this really? the whole thing seems stupid to me. And from what Iv heard the 59th is going to be a 6-team district next season. I think it will be the orginals ER, Pville, and SV with the addation of PC, Belfry, and Phelps.
warriorpride Wrote:What is the point if this really? the whole thing seems stupid to me. And from what Iv heard the 59th is going to be a 6-team district next season. I think it will be the orginals ER, Pville, and SV with the addation of PC, Belfry, and Phelps.

Yea that is actually official. It will be a trial year next year just for basketball and then they will reevaluate it at the end of the year to see if it worked. However, there will only be one district in Pike County next season in basketball.
Let me add to this thread some understanding. The Board of Control at the KHSAA make all final decisions. When the schools met at Magoffin County High School on May 2 there were THREE KHSAA BOC members there. The 13-14th region BOC member, the 15-16 BOC member, and an at large BOC member. There were pricipals, and AD's, and some coaches from all 15th region schools. Julian Tackett and the KHSAA Commisioner, Bridget DeVries, were there. There were Superintendents from Pike, Floyd, Magoffin, and Johnson county. They all made a decisions based on what they though was best financialy for all schools as far as travel wtihin the region. They also took into acount the tradition of schools and disticts. There was not a perfect choice to be made. They did try however, to make the best choice for our STUDENT ATHLETES and our children. No one person had the opportunity to make a decision for everyone. Each school and district had the opportunity to voice their concern(s). No school was coming over fron the 14th, they will have this problem (less than 16 teams) soon enough. There was great dialoge at this meeting and great leadership to make these hard decisions. Sometimes when we don't understand something we call it stupid or unfair. This will work because the aformentioned people will make it work for our schools and athletes.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I posted about a proposed "all Pike County" district months ago and no one liked it. There's no need for 3 team districts. I like the idea of having Pike County with one district, and either drop the Piarist School in the 58th or 57th when they field a team.

One things for sure, having 10 teams make the regional with "play-in" games kinda waters down the Regional tournament in my opinion. Why have district tournaments? Who's not getting in?

Excuse me, but don't ya think the 57th is just a bit crowded already. Give me a break!
Blackwater Wrote:Let me add to this thread some understanding. The Board of Control at the KHSAA make all final decisions. When the schools met at Magoffin County High School on May 2 there were THREE KHSAA BOC members there. The 13-14th region BOC member, the 15-16 BOC member, and an at large BOC member. There were pricipals, and AD's, and some coaches from all 15th region schools. Julian Tackett and the KHSAA Commisioner, Bridget DeVries, were there. There were Superintendents from Pike, Floyd, Magoffin, and Johnson county. They all made a decisions based on what they though was best financialy for all schools as far as travel wtihin the region. They also took into acount the tradition of schools and disticts. There was not a perfect choice to be made. They did try however, to make the best choice for our STUDENT ATHLETES and our children. No one person had the opportunity to make a decision for everyone. Each school and district had the opportunity to voice their concern(s). No school was coming over fron the 14th, they will have this problem (less than 16 teams) soon enough. There was great dialoge at this meeting and great leadership to make these hard decisions. Sometimes when we don't understand something we call it stupid or unfair. This will work because the aformentioned people will make it work for our schools and athletes.

Thanks for this post; it is the most informative, well-thought out post about this topic. If, as you said, the primary purpose - what is best for the student-athletes- is kept in mind at all times, then anyone involved should want to make it work.
I also say thanks for the post......... Big Help...
Super District meeting over and I believe it looks like a dud... It was all about getting these 6 teams playing each season for econ reasons. All they did was mess over East Ridge and Pikeville. Two divisions east and west. SV, East R, and Pike in one and other 3 in the other. Each division gets a #1 seed and auto into regional. Belfry, Phelps, and Pike Ct. Great deal for Belfry, Pike C., Phelps......... How do they come up with this as being the fair thing for all 6 schools.... Same old story.. Maybe East Ridge could go to Va. and play. I hope there is more to this that I do not understand, I will be waiting to see..
I am just wondering Why BELFRY gets the Shaft again...(as in the PCB) it was our turn to Host the District..and the POWERS THAT BE decided it would be best to hold it at PIKE CENTRAL... hmmm whats up with that???
The division deal was proposed by a coach from the 59th. This proposal passed with all but ONE coach voting yes. East Ridge may go to Va. and play...but they voted YES on this proposal.
friendofbelfry Wrote:I am just wondering Why BELFRY gets the Shaft again...(as in the PCB) it was our turn to Host the District..and the POWERS THAT BE decided it would be best to hold it at PIKE CENTRAL... hmmm whats up with that???

Because the "powers that be" absolutely hate Belfry and only support people with the same agenda and when a lot more figure that out some things will change............
BlueSky Wrote:Super District meeting over and I believe it looks like a dud... It was all about getting these 6 teams playing each season for econ reasons. All they did was mess over East Ridge and Pikeville. Two divisions east and west. SV, East R, and Pike in one and other 3 in the other. Each division gets a #1 seed and auto into regional. Belfry, Phelps, and Pike Ct. Great deal for Belfry, Pike C., Phelps......... How do they come up with this as being the fair thing for all 6 schools.... Same old story.. Maybe East Ridge could go to Va. and play. I hope there is more to this that I do not understand, I will be waiting to see..
IMO, this is a horrible plan!!!

With divisions each getting a #1 seed, the "super district" could conceivably send a #1 seed to the regional tournament that is not one of the top 2 teams.

Why not take the top two from the district tourney Winner and Runner up as the 2 number ones with the other two semi finalists also advancing?? At least, the # 1's are decided on the court rather than in a meeting where politics dictate the divisions.
That is a very good question....
Thanks, that is some of the questions I was hoping to get answered. If East Ridge is happy playing Shelby 2 times each year to determine the #1 seed and we certainly should not be against it. Go East Ridge..
NEXT Wrote:Because the "powers that be" absolutely hate Belfry and only support people with the same agenda and when a lot more figure that out some things will change............

Everyone always HATES the WINNER... no matter what it may be. Like as said Before TRUE BELFRY FANS follow the PIRATES.. so why not make as much money off of the TRUE BELFRY fans as POSSIBLE!:mad:
I have nothing but RESPECT for Belfry. They have great programs and first class in all they do... And I am not from that side of the mountain as they say...
FOX SPORTS Wrote:IMO, this is a horrible plan!!!

With divisions each getting a #1 seed, the "super district" could conceivably send a #1 seed to the regional tournament that is not one of the top 2 teams.

Why not take the top two from the district tourney Winner and Runner up as the 2 number ones with the other two semi finalists also advancing?? At least, the # 1's are decided on the court rather than in a meeting where politics dictate the divisions.
According to an eyewitness, Pikeville's coach made this proposal but it was shot down very quickly. I guess that could be expected with Pike Co.'s AD and Superintendent running the meeting!
Not ALL of Pike County is happy with this deal...even some that HAD to vote for it..
bball fan Wrote:According to an eyewitness, Pikeville's coach made this proposal but it was shot down very quickly. I guess that could be expected with Pike Co.'s AD and Superintendent running the meeting!

They are doing what is in the best interest of those 2 gentlemen and the BOE members that are up for re-election.....not the kids.

I know several Pike County coaches that are not happy, and some that were even told vote this way or look for another job.................
If so, WHAT a DISGRACE!
Then they will call it the 59th and 1 half disrtict
This is a big mess!