Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Members Read!
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:That's true you are right, but sometimes if you instill in them what is important and what is not at an early age, they are more likely to take that into their teens. Their personality may make it hard, but they know from you have taught them at an early age that it is just simply not important what other people say about you. I guess you can never tell what they will think when they get older though can you? haha..

I will leave it at this. I have a child that lets everything that someones says to tell them bother them and I PROMISE you that is not the way they were raised or myself and it makes me crazy that they do CARE about what other people say. I have said to them a THOUSAND time who cares what they think and still can not undersand why they do, BUT THEY DO. That is the point i am trying to make. If you think that you can control EVERY behavior and personality of your child then i hope you are bette then me. Good Luck!
basketballfan000 Wrote:I think you are right but as you said you are a parent and it does not matter what they think but the quilty of their life. I am sure you might have a different outlook in 8 or 10 years and it is your BOY that is being bashed on this site. No matter if he laughs at it and it TRUELY does not bother him, I PROMISE you it will not be funny to you no matter how HARD you think you are.

You are probably right on that!Cool
I just try to think, "What if that was my kid they where talking about?" I agree in the fact that a player went 3-20 then they should here about it. To me that is basketball. But to say that a player can not make it at the other level is not necessary. I know that i am old but anyone that rememberes the Unforgetables knows that in reality the core of the team would not have been at UK but look at what they done. If there is one thing i have seen in sports is that you can not measure a players work ethic and desire to win. On another different topic, I have ALWAYS said that it does not mean as much for someone else to put the UK shirt on then to a Kentuck boy. I promise you that meaning and desire are more important then talent. I think that team proved it.
basketballfan000 Wrote:I just try to think, "What if that was my kid they where talking about?" I agree in the fact that a player went 3-20 then they should here about it. To me that is basketball. But to say that a player can not make it at the other level is not necessary. I know that i am old but anyone that rememberes the Unforgetables knows that in reality the core of the team would not have been at UK but look at what they done. If there is one thing i have seen in sports is that you can not measure a players work ethic and desire to win. On another different topic, I have ALWAYS said that it does not mean as much for someone else to put the UK shirt on then to a Kentuck boy. I promise you that meaning and desire are more important then talent. I think that team proved it.

The "Unforgettables" were a great team. The only that worries me is when my kid screws up, he will hear from me, so no one else needs to put their two cents in , haha. See i'll get in trouble won't I? haha. I agree with you a player that is looking for a scholarship will find it devastating to hear people say they will never make it, but like I said if they are strong enough to feed off of that, then it only helps them to hear that, and that is what I want mine to be. I want him to feed off of negativity, and turn it to a positive in how he approaches everything.
Here is the way I see it...

I have no problem with some saying that a player won't be as good or they're not as good as some may think. But the script is flipped when someone says that this player sucks, or something to that degree. That is a big no, no.

But in the insiders point of view it looks like someone is bashing, but from an outsiders point of view its just criticism. Both (criticism & bashing) can be quite confusing.
I wish you the best of luck but i hope that i dont offend you when i say that i have seee MANY players quite playing becaue of their parents because know matter what they do it is not good enough. I have kids say to me, I love basketball, but i can not take it anymore from my parents. At some point, don't they suppose to have FUN playing. I will say this and i hope that you don't take it as negative but if you have that attitude towared your child then i dont think they will play long. Not to play doctor, your child just wants your approval and if you are on them after every game then what do you expect? I have seen kids have great games, asst. steals, rebounds, etc and the parent rip them. I went to school with a kid that was a great point guard but his dad thought that he should score more. He would get almost 10 assist a game but his dad would rip him. He quit playing.
blackcat_student Wrote:Here is the way I see it...

I have no problem with some saying that a player won't be as good or they're not as good as some may think. But the script if flipped when someone says that this player sucks, or something to that degree. That is a big no, no.

But in the insiders point of view it looks like someone is bashing, but from an outsiders point of view its just criticism. Both (criticism & bashing) can be quite confusing.

Yeh I agree so many people see things different from one comment to the next that there has to be some sort of guideline to go by, or could just get out of hand quick. That's the only way to really police it at all.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:The "Unforgettables" were a great team. The only that worries me is when my kid screws up, he will hear from me, so no one else needs to put their two cents in , haha. See i'll get in trouble won't I? haha. I agree with you a player that is looking for a scholarship will find it devastating to hear people say they will never make it, but like I said if they are strong enough to feed off of that, then it only helps them to hear that, and that is what I want mine to be. I want him to feed off of negativity, and turn it to a positive in how he approaches everything.

Good Luck, I hope he has that ability because if he does not then it will be like watching a bad movie of a parent pushing their kd to much. I am sorry if I offend you but i have seen it to much and you seen to think that you can control everthing. Like YOU said if he SCREWS up you will let him know. I am not trying to play psy. but to me that is when they need to hear positve things from you. They are player, they know they screwed up, they dont need their parents to remind them.
basketballfan000 Wrote:Good Luck, I hope he has that ability because if he does not then it will be like watching a bad movie of a parent pushing their kd to much. I am sorry if I offend you but i have seen it to much and you seen to think that you can control everthing. Like YOU said if he SCREWS up you will let him know. I am not trying to play psy. but to me that is when they need to hear positve things from you. They are player, they know they screwed up, they dont need their parents to remind them.

You didn't offend me, but you don't know me that well to say that I want to control everything. You have me pegged way wrong on that one. Wanting him to succeed and controling everything are two different things. I'm not even close to being as bad as you make me out to be.
Everyone has a different opinion and so you can't just make this a site of positive happy comments. BUT unfortunately there are some people on here that are just young kids that want to make ridiculous and crazy comments about other schools and players. And there are some adults as well doing the same thing. How do you monitor or control this?? I guess you don't! But I would hope that any players reading the comments made on this site would know to ignore most of it. If they don't something is wrong. It isn't like this is a site of sports journalists or anything. Most people on this site have no basketball expertise and are just stating raw opinions. I mean geez, all it takes to be a member is to sign up! This site has some knowledgeable people on it and then it has a lot of bashers too. That's just the way it is.......
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:You didn't offend me, but you don't know me that well to say that I want to control everything. You have me pegged way wrong on that one. Wanting him to succeed and controling everything are two different things. I'm not even close to being as bad as you make me out to be.

That is true!! and i am sorry but i just dont want to see another player go though what i have seen. I dont care what anyone thinks the only person that a player care about is their parents opinnion. Just remember that when you are telling them all the things they did wrong, be sure to include the things they did right.
Well this one certainly took a turn for the worse.

Irregardless of how some people perceive their thoughts and comments the final decision is this.

There will be no bashing of players tolerated.

You may say that you don't think said player is a good player. You may say you don't like him. Just keep it civil.

What will not be tolerated is saying that player x sucks and has no right to put on team y's jersey. I'm sorry but if kids are getting college looks and the may get the opportunity to get a free education no matter what school then good for them.