Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking Regions
How do you think the region's rank from strongest to weakest? Below are my picks.

#1- 11th region (no brainer, no other region comes close)
#2- 7th region (another no brainer)
#3- 10th region (weighted heavy by Mason Co.)
#4- 6th region (3 good teams)
#5- 9th region (watch out for Holmes)
#6- 2nd region (most balanced region at the top)
#7- 3rd region (another region with lots of balance)
#8- 4th region (is this the year someone knocks off Warren Central?)
#9- 5th region (top three teams are very balanced)
#10- 13th region (no clear cut favorite here)
#11- 14th region (JBS and Hazard, then a huge drop-off)
#12- 8th region (redistricting made this tough region into a patsy)
#13- 1st region (not much to write home about in the far west)
#14- 12th region (same as the 8th, redistricting done this region in)
#15- 16th region (Elliott Co keeps the 16th from being dead last)
#16- 15th region (after Paintsville and Shelby Valley there aint much there)

What are your picks?
I won't criticize your list too much since I'm not posting my own, but I am surprised to see the 14th at #11 and the 15th at #16 using the same logic for both regions. Are you saying that JBS and Hazard are that much better than Paintsville and Shelby Valley?
The King Wrote:I won't criticize your list too much since I'm not posting my own, but I am surprised to see the 14th at #11 and the 15th at #16 using the same logic for both regions. Are you saying that JBS and Hazard are that much better than Paintsville and Shelby Valley?

and from what ive seen lately they are alot of teams getting the upset over the favorites, namely JBS.
The King Wrote:I won't criticize your list too much since I'm not posting my own, but I am surprised to see the 14th at #11 and the 15th at #16 using the same logic for both regions. Are you saying that JBS and Hazard are that much better than Paintsville and Shelby Valley?

The 14th has Letcher Central also, taking both hazard and JBS to overtime.

IMHO the 15th is as good or better than the 14th and 16th.
In my mind I would say that:
The top teams in these two regions, JBS and Paintsville, are about the same.
I'm also going to put the #2 teams, Hazard and Shelby Valley, about equal.
The difference is the rest of the region. While both regions have a very big drop-off in quality after the top two teams. I'm going to say that the 14th is better than the 15th in the middle of the pack. For example:
Perry Central is a few points better than Pikeville
Letcher Central is a little better than Allen Central
Cordia is significantly better than Belfry, etc...
NEXT Wrote:The 14th has Letcher Central also, taking both hazard and JBS to overtime.

The same Letcher Central that lost to East Ridge by 7...
NEXT Wrote:The 14th has Letcher Central also, taking both hazard and JBS to overtime.

IMHO the 15th is as good or better than the 14th and 16th.
The 15th may be as good as the 16th if not for Elliott Co. Like Mason Co in the 10th, the 16th is weighted heavily by Elliott Co.
rojas Wrote:Perry Central is a few points better than Pikeville

Except that Perry Central just lost on Tuesday to Pikeville by 11...
This is a good discussion.
The King Wrote:Except that Perry Central just lost on Tuesday to Pikeville by 11...
You may have a point on those two. Pikeville may be a little better than I thought.
And I'm not saying that the 15th is better, because I'm not so sure that they are...
Also, Cordia defeated Allen Central by 11 early in the season...
rojas Wrote:In my mind I would say that:
The top teams in these two regions, JBS and Paintsville, are about the same.
I'm also going to put the #2 teams, Hazard and Shelby Valley, about equal.
The difference is the rest of the region. While both regions have a very big drop-off in quality after the top two teams. I'm going to say that the 14th is better than the 15th in the middle of the pack. For example:
Perry Central is a few points better than Pikeville
Letcher Central is a little better than Allen Central
Cordia is significantly better than Belfry, etc...

Evidently you don't follow basketball very well. In the 15th the other night Pikeville won over Perry Central by 11 points. Or you don't kn ow much about the 15th region. Go back and do your homework before you make predictions.
I think the 13th and 12th regions are the weakest in the state. No teams in either region stick out as a power. Drop them to 15th and 16th.
I'd say 12th is the weakest...13th doesnt got a powerhouse team but they got 6 or 7 teams that could win that region IMO.
MVP2 Wrote:I'd say 12th is the weakest...13th doesnt got a powerhouse team but they got 6 or 7 teams that could win that region IMO.
Put them at 15th.
rojas Wrote:How do you think the region's rank from strongest to weakest? Below are my picks.

#1- 11th region (no brainer, no other region comes close)
#2- 7th region (another no brainer)
#3- 10th region (weighted heavy by Mason Co.)
#4- 6th region (3 good teams)
#5- 9th region (watch out for Holmes)
#6- 2nd region (most balanced region at the top)
#7- 3rd region (another region with lots of balance)
#8- 4th region (is this the year someone knocks off Warren Central?)
#9- 5th region (top three teams are very balanced)
#10- 13th region (no clear cut favorite here)
#11- 14th region (JBS and Hazard, then a huge drop-off)
#12- 8th region (redistricting made this tough region into a patsy)
#13- 1st region (not much to write home about in the far west)
#14- 12th region (same as the 8th, redistricting done this region in)
#15- 16th region (Elliott Co keeps the 16th from being dead last)
#16- 15th region (after Paintsville and Shelby Valley there aint much there)
I agree with first 6.
But I would put
#7- 4th reg.
#8- 5th reg.
#9- 3rd reg.
#10- 15th reg.
#11-14th Reg.
#12-8th reg.
#13-16st reg.
#14-1st reg.
#15-13th reg.
#16-12th reg.

What are your picks?

:Thumbs:
I would put the 13th well ahead of the 15th. The 13th has no great teams but about 1/2 dozen good teams. The 15th only has two good teams.
rojas Wrote:I would put the 13th well ahead of the 15th. The 13th has no great teams but about 1/2 dozen good teams. The 15th only has two good teams.
Well.....The top 2 teams from the 15th would beat the snot out of every team in the 13th. Allen Central and Pikeville are as good as anyone in the 13th. I will give you that the 13th is stronger than the 15th after the top 4 teams, and if you think that just because the 13th's worst teams are better than the 15th's worst teams so that makes the 13th stronger.....

Smile Smile Smile ...

Well....go ahead and think it!
rojas Wrote:I would put the 13th well ahead of the 15th. The 13th has no great teams but about 1/2 dozen good teams. The 15th only has two good teams.
Pikeville beat Shelby Valley in the All A, then turned around and took Paintsville to 2 overtimes in the finals. How can you say it is just a 2 team region? On any night, Pikeville can beat anyone.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Pikeville beat Shelby Valley in the All A, then turned around and took Paintsville to 2 overtimes in the finals. How can you say it is just a 2 team region? On any night, Pikeville can beat anyone.
I think he basis it on the fact that the 13th has more teams that have a chance at winning their region. The 15th realisticly has only 4 teams that could win it.
But if yourregion(13th for example) has a lot of mediocre teams then they have the strongest region....no matter how sucky they actually are.Big Grin J/K
I agree that Pikeville could beat any team in the region on any given night, although the 15th is really a two team region, I think if you play the regional tournament 10 times, Valley or Paintsville will win 9 out of 10 times and pikeville/allen central would win 1 out of 10, no other team is really contention of running off possible back to back wins over these teams.

But that is why they play the tournament, look at last year when Clark County upset Mason County in the 10th region.
If Pineville or North Laurel were in the 15th region they would probably be the 3rd best team in the region. In the 13th they may be no better than the 7th and 8th best teams in the region.
If your counting Letcher as a threat in the 14th then you have to count Knott and Cordia.