Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 28 Bowling Green 7 - Highlands Wins 5A State Championship
Final.

About as expected. Bluebirds add another trophy to the case.
ouch
That sucks. I was rooting for Bowling Green, LCA, & of course Belfry. Whats the chances alll three getting beat. I feel extra bad for Bowling Green, cuz they've been to the finals three years in a row, and three years they've been runners up. I don't know about them, but this losing stuff leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. All the boys need to remember what getting this close and letting it slip away feels like all the way til next year. Let it be what drives you in the wieght room. Let it be what makes you hungry for next year. Don't stop until you get back on top, and even then, don't let up. Congrats on a good season & good luck next year Purples
Congrats Highlands on yet another STATE TITLE!!
mrfootball03 Wrote:That sucks. I was rooting for Bowling Green, LCA, & of course Belfry. Whats the chances alll three getting beat. I feel extra bad for Bowling Green, cuz they've been to the finals three years in a row, and three years they've been runners up. I don't know about them, but this losing stuff leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. All the boys need to remember what getting this close and letting it slip away feels like all the way til next year. Let it be what drives you in the wieght room. Let it be what makes you hungry for next year. Don't stop until you get back on top, and even then, don't let up. Congrats on a good season & good luck next year Purples

Those were very kind words Mr. Football. Highlands linemen and linebackers were a little too much for the guys to handle tonight. Their Qb is a player and a half. But don't feel too sorry for the Purples. They have several lineman and position players returning. Bowling Green has won at least 10 games in a season 18 out of the last 20 years. Hopefully they will be back soon.
adopted purple Wrote:Those were very kind words Mr. Football. Highlands linemen and linebackers were a little too much for the guys to handle tonight. Their Qb is a player and a half. But don't feel too sorry for the Purples. They have several lineman and position players returning. Bowling Green has won at least 10 games in a season 18 out of the last 20 years. Hopefully they will be back soon.

I didn't get to stay and watch the game due to having to get back home before it got too late, but I listened to it on the radio all the way home. It sounded like the QB for FTH was a dandy. Also sounded like in the second half that BG made some adjustments and never quit. I was glad to hear when the BG QB ran it in to finally get the Purples on the board.. Glad they kept fighting and didnt just pack it up when they were being stopped..
Congrats HIghlands & a great season to Bowling Green
Congrats Bluebirds!
Way to go Birds in bringing back the trophy after a far too long title drought (5th longest in school history). They came prepared and would not be denied. It was perhaps one of the most solid performances I have ever witnessed in high school football. The Birds executed well, and kept the vaunted Purple Passing game at bay (3 Int.) while also rackin up some yards in the air themselves. They completed their goal of a perfect season and can claim their place among the many great teams of Highlands storied history. Lets celebrate and focus on bringing some more back!!!!

And great job by Bowling Green, 3 years being shut out is a tough cookie to chew but as said before, let it motivate you and sometimes 4th time is the charm.
Congrats Highlands.
Congrats Highlands on yet another state championship.
Congrats Highlands!
CakeEater88 Wrote:Way to go Birds in bringing back the trophy after a far too long title drought (5th longest in school history). They came prepared and would not be denied. It was perhaps one of the most solid performances I have ever witnessed in high school football. The Birds executed well, and kept the vaunted Purple Passing game at bay (3 Int.) while also rackin up some yards in the air themselves. They completed their goal of a perfect season and can claim their place among the many great teams of Highlands storied history. Lets celebrate and focus on bringing some more back!!!!

And great job by Bowling Green, 3 years being shut out is a tough cookie to chew but as said before, let it motivate you and sometimes 4th time is the charm.

We only missed two years and both years we were eliminated by the eventual state champions. Not exactly a drought even by our standards.:confused:
It was just an interesting factoid I had read recently stating that the title "drought" from 2004 to 2007 is tied for the 5th longest gap between championships. No harm intended. Big Grin
BG was never really in this game.
Congrats Highlands for winning the 5A State Championship Game.
Bowling Green ran into a very very good Highlands team. Their linemen and linebackers were better than advertised. That QB Cecil is one of the smartest players I've seen in a while. They were the best team in 5A no doubt and very possibly 6A as well. Bowling Green lost 30 seniors last year and 17 this year. I think they will be alright. They have some young kids coming up over the next few years that I think will bring one of those big trophies back to Bowling Green. But this is definately the year of the Highland Bluebirds. Great job.
adopted purple Wrote:Bowling Green ran into a very very good Highlands team. Their linemen and linebackers were better than advertised. That QB Cecil is one of the smartest players I've seen in a while. They were the best team in 5A no doubt and very possibly 6A as well. Bowling Green lost 30 seniors last year and 17 this year. I think they will be alright. They have some young kids coming up over the next few years that I think will bring one of those big trophies back to Bowling Green. But this is definately the year of the Highland Bluebirds. Great job.

I didn't make it to the Highlands/Central game so I can't compare that one. But I did see the rest of the games and didn't see a better defense played against the Birds. With the exception of the "Hail Mary" BG did a great job of keeping Highlands in check. What made the Hail Mary work was the one thing that drives a DB's coach nuts, they let the receiver get behind them. Once that happened, all he had to do was pull it in.

Congrats to the Purples, you had a great season and should be considered one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the state regardless of class.
Greetings!

I want to let everyone know of a great website dedicated to the Fort Thomas Highlands Bluebirds! The site is called 'Birds Words, and the web address is:

http://www.highlands-bluebirds.com

About anything you could ever want to know about Highlands football is on this website. Enjoy!
jbwill2 Wrote:Greetings!

I want to let everyone know of a great website dedicated to the Fort Thomas Highlands Bluebirds! The site is called 'Birds Words, and the web address is:

http://www.highlands-bluebirds.com

About anything you could ever want to know about Highlands football is on this website. Enjoy!
You could never get away with this on some other websites. I hope you stick around on this one.
FBALL Wrote:You could never get away with this on some other websites. I hope you stick around on this one.
I look forward to following the 2008 football season with you all!