Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rivalry Question?
I know that it is always huge when two rivals meet up. But, is it just me or does is lose its luster when the teams can play up to 5 TIMES!! This Friday Pikeville will play SV for the third friday in a row. They could possibly meet 2 more times this season. It just seems that it doesn't feel the same as when you may only play the team once a year. I think consolidation has a lot to do with this. You don't have as many schools to play in the area, so you end up playing the same team over and over. What do you guys think?
well the way i fell about it is that even b4 consolidation you play the teams within your distirct 2 times per year and you could meet them again in the all a classic and then again in district finals and then again in regionals so i dont think its uncommon
I never had any problem getting amped for these games. They are all big games no matter what!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think it does. You meet one time a year in football. Everyone gets excited knowing that if their team doesn't win this time they'll have to wait another year to get a chance and have to listen to bragging for a year from their rivals. In basketball and baseball I would say 3 would be the max. Two games to determine seeding and the third being the put up or shut up game. I think when it gets over that amount it does lose its luster.
IMO I think Rivals should only play 1 or 2 times a year, If you play more than that, then it takes all of the intense out of the rivalry
I love it when 2 rivals play...the more the better IMO
If you have quality programs that are in the same district, that means at the very least it should be 3 games in a season. Two regular season games, then the district game. This year is a odd year where they played in the All A against each other. The All A game is the game that may make it be a 5 game season. Who know, this Friday night could be the last meeting between the two for the season, or there could be two more matchups. It depends on how the districts and regions pan out.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
When it comes to Pikeville and Shelby Valley I am always pumped up!!!! So let's play ball.
Allen Central and Betsy Layne played each other 4 times last season. 2 district matchups, All A and again in the 58th district championship. I think every game was a "big" game and both sides were pumped up.
Paintsville can play centrel (johnson) 3 times this year and it's always a big game even if paintsville always kills themSmile
3/4 of SV's last games will have been against Pikeville, if SV would have won the first two games then i think the interest of the rivalry would have went down, but since Pikeville won the last one I that everyone can not wait to see them match up again.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:3/4 of SV's last games will have been against Pikeville, if SV would have won the first two games then i think the interest of the rivalry would have went down, but since Pikeville won the last one I that everyone can not wait to see them match up again.

I agree...
The atmoshpere of the game will be crazy, Pikeville's gym will be packed to the roof... I can't wait.
i think it does lose the luster it like UK and Duke what makes it great is they might play ever 5 or 6 years not that i am comparing Pikeville and SV to that.
Rivalry is a good thing, to a point. It then becomes hatred if the two teams are in the same county, which is not good. Teams from the same district and
region should cheer for each other when playing opposing districts and regions.
But instead most of the time the winning teams are always bragging and putting everyone else down. And in reality, any team can win a game, a tourny, or a championship, it just depends on who's playing the best that night.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I know that it is always huge when two rivals meet up. But, is it just me or does is lose its luster when the teams can play up to 5 TIMES!! This Friday Pikeville will play SV for the third friday in a row. They could possibly meet 2 more times this season. It just seems that it doesn't feel the same as when you may only play the team once a year. I think consolidation has a lot to do with this. You don't have as many schools to play in the area, so you end up playing the same team over and over. What do you guys think?

Very True. I agree!