Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
KHSBCA All-State Selections
Seems like southeastern Kentucky always gets the bad end of the deal when these teams are named every year. There are very good and deserving players from this area that get always get left out. Not exactly sure how the selection process works I actually have no idea how it works) but it seems like something that can be improved upon. Any thoughts?
It is one of those things that will always be controversial. Coaches vote on it and they can only vote on players they are familiar with. And you can't go by stats on it either because we know how some stats are reported.
(06-12-2024, 11:37 AM)Bluecat Wrote: It is one of those things that will always be controversial. Coaches vote on it and they can only vote on players they are familiar with. And you can't go by stats on it either because we know how some stats are reported.
Good response. I get what you are saying on stat reporting can't always be relied upon as being accurate. Maybe that is something that could be coordinated better through the KHSAA for ALL sports. Have someone responsible for reviewing reported stats for obvious errors. I understand they couldn't review every single game thoroughly. But they could at least catch the obvious incorrect reporting like a pitcher throwing 70 innings in one game on less than 100 pitches. Because at some point, stats should be looked at for players the voting committee are unfamiliar with in order to try to be fair about things instead of Lexington and Louisville schools trading votes with each other to get all their players on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MayorofFlavortown's post:
  • Bluecat
(06-12-2024, 12:47 PM)MayorofFlavortown Wrote:
(06-12-2024, 11:37 AM)Bluecat Wrote: It is one of those things that will always be controversial. Coaches vote on it and they can only vote on players they are familiar with. And you can't go by stats on it either because we know how some stats are reported.
Good response. I get what you are saying on stat reporting can't always be relied upon as being accurate. Maybe that is something that could be coordinated better through the KHSAA for ALL sports. Have someone responsible for reviewing reported stats for obvious errors. I understand they couldn't review every single game thoroughly. But they could at least catch the obvious incorrect reporting like a pitcher throwing 70 innings in one game on less than 100 pitches. Because at some point, stats should be looked at for players the voting committee are unfamiliar with in order to try to be fair about things instead of Lexington and Louisville schools trading votes with each other to get all their players on.
This is what hurts our eastern KY athletes. They get the same exposure and we have some real good players left off these lists year in and year out. Unless I overlooked someone, I only saw one 14th Region player in Huff from Knott. I feel there should have been multiple players. And I am sure there was some from other eastern ky regions that were left off as well.
I also read somewhere that one Region's Player of the Year didn't even make honorable mention and that one region was not represented at all. I think the 14th & 15th both should have more kids on the list, even if it's for honorable mention.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MayorofFlavortown's post:
  • Bluecat
(06-13-2024, 10:25 AM)MayorofFlavortown Wrote: I also read somewhere that one Region's Player of the Year didn't even make honorable mention and that one region was not represented at all. I think the 14th & 15th both should have more kids on the list, even if it's for honorable mention.
Powell had a phenomenal year winning 2A State. They didn't even have a player on the list unless I overlooked them. 

Is it just a senior list or can any HS player make it. If that is the case then that may be why the 14th missed out on some as a lot of their top players are underclassmen. Really not sure how it goes.
Isn’t the KHSBCA list just a group of coaches that pretty much vote for their players, and NOT All coaches are members the KHSBCA?
(06-16-2024, 11:00 PM)HappyPappy Wrote: Isn’t the KHSBCA list just a group of coaches that pretty much vote for their players, and NOT All coaches are members the KHSBCA?
Pretty much. If you don't pay the dues to be in KHSBCA you can't vote.