Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central 55 Fern Creek 19
Final
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old guy's post:
  • Diogenes
Good job JC!
Congratulations to Johnson Central.
Congratulations Johnson Central!!! Big numbers!
Wow great job Eagles
Johnson Central looked great in this one but definitely need work on their kicking game. The snaps for extra points were erratic, which was not important last night but could be critical in the playoffs. Johnson Central's running backs looked exceptional and Grimm looked good in only his second career sttart at QB.

JC's schedule is going to make it difficult to judge how good this team is as the season progresses. An away game at Ironton will be a tough challenge for the Golden Eagles but aside from that game, the only game on the schedule that may be competitive is the home finale with Belfry. Despite two impressive wins, JC has dropped to 13th in the CalPreps rankings, so the RPI is not likely to help JC in the playoffs.

When his season ended early last season with an injury, Mason Lawson was probably the top running back in 4A. After getting zero carries in the season opener, he rushed once last night for 21 yards and a touchdown. I don't know if Lawson is suffering from some minor injury that is reducing his role on offense, if he will take on a larger role later, or if the coaches are content to having him as insurance against an injury to McCoart and Conley, but I doubt that any team in 4A has more depth at the position than JC. Both Conley and McCoart carried for more than 100 yards in the first half last night as JC had 296 first half rushing yards.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • maximus73
(08-27-2022, 12:53 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Johnson Central looked great in this one but definitely need work on their kicking game. The snaps for extra points were erratic, which was not important last night but could be critical in the playoffs. Johnson Central's running backs looked exceptional and Grimm looked good in only his second career sttart at QB.

JC's schedule is going to make it difficult to judge how good this team is as the season progresses. An away game at Ironton will be a tough challenge for the Golden Eagles but aside from that game, the only game on the schedule that may be competitive is the home finale with Belfry. Despite two impressive wins, JC has dropped to 13th in the CalPreps rankings, so the RPI is not likely to help JC in the playoffs.

When his season ended early last season with an injury, Mason Lawson was probably the top running back in 4A. After getting zero carries in the season opener, he rushed once last night for 21 yards and a touchdown. I don't know if Lawson is suffering from some minor injury that is reducing his role on offense, if he will take on a larger role later, or if the coaches are content to having him as insurance against an injury to McCoart and Conley, but I doubt that any team in 4A has more depth at the position than JC. Both Conley and McCoart carried for more than 100 yards in the first half last night as JC had 296 first half rushing yards.
Was lawsons injury last year severe enough that he’s still recovering, or maybe he didn’t get back with the team early enough to get enough true reps before the season started?
(08-27-2022, 01:34 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 12:53 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Johnson Central looked great in this one but definitely need work on their kicking game. The snaps for extra points were erratic, which was not important last night but could be critical in the playoffs. Johnson Central's running backs looked exceptional and Grimm looked good in only his second career sttart at QB.

Was lawsons injury last year severe enough that he’s still recovering, or maybe he didn’t get back with the team early enough to get enough true reps before the season started?
I have no idea. He is starting on defense. Hopefully, Lawson is  building his stamina, but JC has a great backfield even without Lawson having a larger role. Lawson has also been an outstanding player on defense, so it's great to see him back in the starting lineup, whether he is 100% back to his previous form or not. Coach Peck has the option of slowly increasing Lawson's role on the team if he needs more time to rebuild his stamina.
(08-27-2022, 01:54 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

I have no idea. He is starting on defense. Hopefully, Lawson is  building his stamina, but JC has a great backfield even without Lawson having a larger role. Lawson has also been an outstanding player on defense, so it's great to see him back in the starting lineup, whether he is 100% back to his previous form or not. Coach Peck has the option of slowly increasing Lawson's role on the team if he needs more time to rebuild his stamina.

From what I’ve heard he had a torn ACL. As someone who has also torn their ACL it took a full year and half before I felt like myself mobility wise. I am guessing the coaching staff is going to work him back slowly. They already have two great backs in McCoart and Conley plus Price at fullback to carry the load. They probably don’t want to expose Lawson to a lot of hits this early in the season. I hope he can get closer to 100% by the end of the season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister D's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
(08-29-2022, 12:54 AM)Mister D Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 01:54 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

From what I’ve heard he had a torn ACL. As someone who has also torn their ACL it took a full year and half before I felt like myself mobility wise. I am guessing the coaching staff is going to work him back slowly. They already have two great backs in McCoart and Conley plus Price at fullback to carry the load. They probably don’t want to expose Lawson to a lot of hits this early in the season. I hope he can get closer to 100% by the end of the season.
Thanks. This was my assumption as well. The lineup with McCoart, Conley, and Price are putting up some eye-popping stats. Unless Lawson is determined to play at the next level, serving a limited role on offense may be in his best interest. One of my sons suffered an ACl/MCL tear 8 games into Bill Musick's last season and his knee still gives him problems.