Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
43.75%
Ashland
56.25%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freshman Kiwanis Bowl:Ashland vs Russell
Who wins?
Thursday October 25th
7:00 PM Kiwanis Bowl
Putnam Stadium
Does anyone know who the play makers are this year for either team?
From what Ive heard about Russell's freshman team, doesnt look good, I think a couple of tough years are coming for Russell after next yr
Russell's Freshman have not played well. Ashland should win.
EkyLb Wrote:From what Ive heard about Russell's freshman team, doesnt look good, I think a couple of tough years are coming for Russell after next yr
Hard to tell. This years sophmore class is pretty good. The Freshman have struggled but two of the better athletes have missed either most or the entire season because of injuries.

I do agree that every school has up and down cycles. Its hard to judge sometimes though. As I remember this years juniors were one of those groups that wasn't supposed to be that strong. Ashland was heavily favored but Russell upeset them in the Kiwanins Bowl. Now this group of juniors has turned out to be pretty good. You never know.
travis edwards is the play maker for russell's team on both sides of the ball
I wouldn't judge the future of the Devils based on one freshman team. Yes, it doesn't help that you don't have 10 surefire studs on the team, but freshman teams rarely show true strength. Varsity teams have three grades to find the best players, freshman teams only have one. Think about it. You can have a good runningback, quarterback and receiver on the frosh team, but if you are trying to protect them with substandard lineman, then it will not be pretty. Next year, take these same players and give them senior linemen, and you are good again.

First year head coach Shawn Moore is doing a commendable job. The team is improving each week and hopefully they can pull off another improbable upset like what happened two years ago. There is not alot of depth or skill on this Russell frosh team, but if they can put together a good game, then they have the capability of winning.

On a side note, Ashland should be worried. I've heard Coach Moore is putting in the Tony Franklin system for this week. Also, his defensive players are so small, he's created a 13 man defensive package and since they are so small, you think there are only 11 out there.
Why did Steve Hicks step down?
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Why did Steve Hicks step down?
IMO He never should have had that job.
He's now coaching the JV team.
DevilsWin Wrote:IMO He never should have had that job.

That's a little harsh. He did lead Russell to the last three (straight) K-bowl victories.
Sponge Bob Wrote:He's now coaching the JV team.

Thanks I didn't know that.
Sponge Bob Wrote:That's a little harsh. He did lead Russell to the last three (straight) K-bowl victories.
Maybe, but I still think he was the wrong hire.
Who would have been the right hire? I don't remember many people lining up to ask for the job.
Sponge Bob Wrote:Who would have been the right hire? I don't remember many people lining up to ask for the job.

I'm not gonna debate this any longer so the thread stays on topic.
Whatever, brother. You are the one who started the thing by saying what you said when someone simply asked why the guy didn't coach the frosh team anymore. I just think if you are going to call the poor guy out like that on a public forum, you should finish it.
i think the russell boys may actually win if they get there mind in the game
i see those kids and they never seem like they have football on there minds
i no it is a hard age with girls and new schools but , they have to step up some time
dundee Wrote:travis edwards is the play maker for russell's team on both sides of the ball
Travis is a tremendous athlete. He has all the physical tools.
DevilsWin Wrote:IMO He never should have had that job.
I think he did a very good job with the freshman while coaching them. He also does a good job now with the JV kids.
If Travis Edwards can get healthy, I think he can be just as good, if not better, than his brother Chad.
I volunteered to coach the freshman this year but was never called, Moore was a dead lock for the job if he wanted it, then BOO would get it next if Moore did not take it.
I would love to have them, But I will wait and see.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Sponge Bob Wrote:If Travis Edwards can get healthy, I think he can be just as good, if not better, than his brother Chad.
I agree. There is ALOT of potential there.
Ashland-14
Russell- 6

Edwards- player of the game on defense-Russell
?????????- player of the game on offense-Russell

I dont know who picked the players of the game, but Joel Korzep had 5 sacks or stops behind the line of scrimmage, ran the ball IMPRESSIVELY,, and had no fumbles.

The offensive player of the game for Russell had 2 or 3 fumbles tonight....
I dont understand....
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Silly Ashland people pick these awards. I'm sure they don't even watch the Russell players. They get to the end of the game and while deciding who should be players of the game simply look at a roster and say, "I think I heard his name called a couple of times, let's pick HIM". No offense to the Conley kid, he did have a few good runs, but the Korzep kid should have been either offensive player, defensive player, or both.
Agreed Spongebob !!!!!!
DevilsWin Wrote:I'm not gonna debate this any longer so the thread stays on topic.

You are just mad cause you didn't get it.