Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a Good Golf Course
Hey Guys,

I need to get my dad out of the house for the day on Friday and am looking for a good golf course where we can go play. I know of Stonecrest, but what are some other great courses within an hour or so of Pikeville?

Thanks
Paintsville is nice and Jenkins course is nice also.
Thanks Rallo. I've played Paintsville so many times during high school matches, but Jenkins might be a good option.

Has anyone played Riverview Country Club in Madison, WV?
You can't play golf Beef, lol.
Not a 1 hour trip but well worth the effort to go play. Hidden Cove in Grayson. Give me a shout if you need a third if you are willing to play with an amateur.Wink

http://golfkentuckylinks.com/Pages/Photo...photo.html
I would not suggest Yatesville this time of year. Great course and pretty tough but we were there in the middle of June and it was absolutely burnt up. The fairway grass crackled under our feet when we walked on it.
Gilbert WV, Twisted Gun. Somewhat of a tough trip but well worth it when you get there. Hardly ever crowded and you can get a round of golf in under 3 hours.
wooderson Wrote:Gilbert WV, Twisted Gun. Somewhat of a tough trip but well worth it when you get there. Hardly ever crowded and you can get a round of golf in under 3 hours.
This is the course I was trying to think of. Heard it was a great course. Thanks!
wooderson Wrote:Gilbert WV, Twisted Gun. Somewhat of a tough trip but well worth it when you get there. Hardly ever crowded and you can get a round of golf in under 3 hours.

i play there twice a week and it is in great shape now. go after 4 pm during the week and you can play until dark for 24 dollars.
yeah, I'm kinda late, but we have 2 couses acoss the state line - Willowbrook Country Club in the Breaks is nice (460 to Regina, 80 thru Elkhorn into Va. to 609, then left for about 2 miles), and Mountaintop, which is past the high school near the WV state line on 83.
VHSL-helper Wrote:yeah, I'm kinda late, but we have 2 couses acoss the state line - Willowbrook Country Club in the Breaks is nice (460 to Regina, 80 thru Elkhorn into Va. to 609, then left for about 2 miles), and Mountaintop, which is past the high school near the WV state line on 83.

mountain top could be the worst course every but was fun to play if they had real greens
The Bull at Boone's Trace is a pretty good course if you want to come to Richmond.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Disc golf at P'Burg haha... But take a cooler at this time of the year! lol

But seriously, Jenkins has a nice course I've heard also.
The course at Grayson is very nice. It's a new state park course and money is no problem as far as keeping it in great shape. Paintsville is so-so, as far as I'm concerned. It's an old course, part of it was built in the 1920's and the other half was built in the 1950's. The majority of their greens are extremely small, some not much bigger than an average tee on most courses. And it's short, about 6200 off the back tees. Morehead's Eagle Trace is a good course, but I haven't played it in a long time. Someone told me the other day that the course at John's Creek is a good one, and not too expensive. I've never played Jenkins, so I can't comment on that one.
The course at Jenkins is good and never crowded. Hidden Cove at Grayson is great. Eagle Trace at Morehead is never kept up very well. Paintsville is not much but that swinging bridge is a trip! Old Silo in Mt. Sterling is probably the best when it is in good shape.
srixon2 Wrote:The course at Jenkins is good and never crowded. Hidden Cove at Grayson is great. Eagle Trace at Morehead is never kept up very well. Paintsville is not much but that swinging bridge is a trip! Old Silo in Mt. Sterling is probably the best when it is in good shape.

That scared the hell outta me.
StoneCrest is my favorite, with the view and how beautiful the course is and how challenging it can be. Allen's "Paul Hunt Thompson Golf Course" is alright for a nine hole course. It would be good for a beginner. Mountain Public Links at Johns Creek, is challenging , but they don't keep it up very good.
blackcat_student Wrote:That scared the hell outta me.
I used to love walking across that bridge in tournaments!

But we ended up at Twisted Gun. This course is in good shape and no one was there. Seems to be a little out of the way and hard to get to but it is up for sale so it will be interesting to see if it can sale and if the new owners can do anything with it. A shame to have such a good course not really getting played.
Hey Beef, come down to Paintsville and we'll drink some cold beer and play a round.
Beef Wrote:I used to love walking across that bridge in tournaments!

But we ended up at Twisted Gun. This course is in good shape and no one was there. Seems to be a little out of the way and hard to get to but it is up for sale so it will be interesting to see if it can sale and if the new owners can do anything with it. A shame to have such a good course not really getting played.

Whoever buys it will lose money, it in BFE
NEXT Wrote:Whoever buys it will lose money, it in BFE
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on who it is marketed towards and what is changed with it. A lot of changes would have to happen but it is possible to make it work if the right people get a hold of it. But as of now it is losing tons of money every year.
When the course at Yatesville gets its grass back I believe it is second to none anywhere in this country