Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Pike County Schools
Do they really only have 1 middle school? Their district website only lists one middle school (Belfry) but they have 5 high schools.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:Do they really only have 1 middle school? Their district website only lists one middle school (Belfry) but they have 5 high schools.

That's wrong. Belfry only has one middle school, Belfry Middle, but that's not the only middle school in Pike County.
Belfry Middle is the only 6-8 school in Pike County and has been for a while.

Most other schools in Pike County is P-8
Real Badman Wrote:Belfry Middle is the only 6-8 school in Pike County and has been for a while.

Most other schools in Pike County is P-8
Right. I think there is about 9 elementary schools that are K-8

Plus Belfry Elementary and Bevins Elementary that are K-5 and those kids go to Belfry Middle for 6-8
Do they all have a middle school football team? Or does everbody play middle school football at Belfry middle?
You got belfry, Shelby Valley i think they are made up of virgie and dorton , Pike Central is made up between Mullins P-8 and John Creek P-8, Pikeville i think they are P-8, Phelps i think P-8 East Ridge i think is made up of Elkhorn and millard they all got there football team
Somebody can confirm if that is right
Pre 2005- Every individual school had its own team.

Blackberry
Turkey Creek
[Belfry Middle would start in 05]
Phelps
Feds Creek
Elkhorn City
Millard
Dorton
Virgie
Mullins
Johns Creek

Probably leaving out more than that.

Now the numbers of each school is so small, high schools administer their own teams of which are compromised of their feeder schools
Bevins
Blackberry
Turkey Creek
Runyon
[Belfry Middle would start in 05]
Phelps
Feds Creek
Elkhorn City
Millard
Dorton
Virgie
Mullins
Johns Creek

The schools are currently, and were prior to consolidation, ran by staff within the schools and communities.
Pretty sure Freeburn and Majestic had elementary schools back in the day.
jetpilot Wrote:Pretty sure Freeburn and Majestic had elementary schools back in the day.

They did but I think the kids always played for Phelps at the MS level.
Are students in Pike County schools free to attend the high school/middle school they choose? In other words, as long as they stay in district, they can go where they want?
PCS is open enrollment for in county and city students.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:Are students in Pike County schools free to attend the high school/middle school they choose? In other words, as long as they stay in district, they can go where they want?
Any student can attend the school they choose, but geography makes it impossible for most to attend anywhere other then their home school. There are places in Pike Co that are an hour drive from other districts.