Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 38 Paducha Tilghman 20
Final..
As predicted Mayfield throttled the run and PT was unable to throw reliably. PT has atrocious special team play. Blistering speed if they get a step but cant overcome the weaknesses. Mayfield looked winded at times, and had a lot of penalties, but found a way to win.
Tica Wrote:As predicted Mayfield throttled the run and PT was unable to throw reliably. PT has atrocious special team play. Blistering speed if they get a step but cant overcome the weaknesses. Mayfield looked winded at times, and had a lot of penalties, but found a way to win.

Agree on PT's special teams.

Mayfield missed a bunch of tackles at the line of scrimmage.

Tilghman is a good team but the lack of consistent passing and reliable special teams play will likely haunt them later.

Mayfield needs to keep improving every week.
Not sure how many times that ball carrier was not wrapped up. Credit hard running from Tilghman but dang stop trying the big hit and just tackle the guy. Do your job!!
Tica Wrote:As predicted Mayfield throttled the run and PT was unable to throw reliably. PT has atrocious special team play. Blistering speed if they get a step but cant overcome the weaknesses. Mayfield looked winded at times, and had a lot of penalties, but found a way to win.

Found a way to win? Lol, PT is lucky it wasn’t worse!
[quote=Tica]As predicted Mayfield throttled the run and PT was unable to throw reliably. PT has atrocious special team play. Blistering speed if they get a step but cant overcome the weaknesses. Mayfield looked winded at times, and had a lot of penalties, but found a way to win.
Cards gunna Card.
Congrats to us, should have been a little bigger margin but number #14 is sweet
Congrats Mayfield. Cards keep flying!
Congrats to Mayfield
I thought it was an impressive showing by the Cardinals. They were a little sloppy with the penalties and had a couple of defensive breakdowns, but, overall, very solid. A few takes from this one:

1) PT is talented and athletic and there running game is legit. They have a QB that can throw it okay, but, mainly shorter, quicker routes and they really aren't able to spread the defense out to open up the run, which could really help that run game. There OL is better than given credit for. Defensively, they have a decent DL and a very good LB group. They have good athleticism and speed in the secondary, but, have to improve there cover skills. They're a legit Top 6 to 10 3a team, capable of beating anyone on a given night, but, I think getting to the semi's is about a cap for them.

2) Mayfield's Stinson is a great HS QB. He is as accurate as any QB I've seen at this level , can make all the throws and they have 3 or 4 WRs that flat out make plays. As good as that air attack is, they have a legit running game, as well. Galbreath isn't very big, but, is fast and runs with more power and determination that you'd expect. Throw in Jackson at 6'1 220 who can take over a game late with a power running game and you've got a 2 headed monster. Then you have Haliburton, who started at RB 2 years ago, who can also give you quality play back there. When you have that kind of depth, balance and playmakers with crisp and precise execution, it's a tough match up and load for anyone. There defense is still a work in progress. They have some breakdowns and miss some tackles, but, it seems every game, that defense gets better and better as the games wear on. It'll take a great team playing at a very high level to knock these guys off.
IIRC PT had a 4th and goal on the 8 and did not try a field goal, so that shows the special teams issues.

PT left 10-14 points on the field, and collectively, gave Mayfield 100+ yards in field position from poor special teams play. For the second year in a row, PT torched Mayfield on a 60 yard TD pass in the opening quarter.

Never seen a Mayfield team with that many penalties (a couple of questionable calls however). But their passing game is top notch, maybe best in class and its really something to see. Mayfield is solid in every aspect of the game and always has outstanding kickers.

PT will win some games, maybe advancing to E-town, but the vulnerabilities will be there for opponents to scout and exploit.
I think this is probably the best PT team we have seen in the 14 year stretch. I think they have good size and athleticism on the line. They have great backs that run hard. They have good receivers and a decent qb. To be able to really shut them down after that first blown coverage early on, I think it says a lot. Remember, one of those scores was after an int after the ball went through 2 MHS receivers into the hands of the dB. They took over around MHS 30 and got 2 huge penalties and a missed tackle by the offensive line to get that score just before the half ended. Also MHS left 2 scores on the field as well. One dropped haplessly through the wr hand.
mysonis55 Wrote:I think this is probably the best PT team we have seen in the 14 year stretch. I think they have good size and athleticism on the line. They have great backs that run hard. They have good receivers and a decent qb. To be able to really shut them down after that first blown coverage early on, I think it says a lot. Remember, one of those scores was after an int after the ball went through 2 MHS receivers into the hands of the dB. They took over around MHS 30 and got 2 huge penalties and a missed tackle by the offensive line to get that score just before the half ended. Also MHS left 2 scores on the field as well. One dropped haplessly through the wr hand.

Not even close to their best team.

The team that took Mayfield to overtime which had Forest and Harmon.

PT should have won that game but for Wyatt's bad play callling in overtime.
Snakesnot Wrote:Not even close to their best team.

The team that took Mayfield to overtime which had Forest and Harmon.

PT should have won that game but for Wyatt's bad play callling in overtime.

Yeah, I forgot about that team. It’s been so long ago. We probably shouldn’t have won that game. They were tough.
Is it true Neely gave himself up rather than run-over a girl kicker?
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Is it true Neely gave himself up rather than run-over a girl kicker?

Yes. When he got to her he quite running.
anyone have game stats passing rushing penalties???
barnabus_c2001 Wrote:anyone have game stats passing rushing penalties???

No stats in either paper.
Stinsons passing numbers had to be gaudy and the receivers yac had to be great and Kylan had to be up there in yards!!!!
You gotta give it to Kade for not turning loose on the kicker. You also gotta give props to that girl for going after him. Makes me wish I filmed that game.
Twitter comments: https://twitter.com/NoBickal/status/1170...90880?s=09