Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayne Co. 62 Rockcastle Co. 27
Quote:
Final
Junior running back Braedon Sloan rushed 16-times for 238 yards with scoring runs of 27, 26, 57 and 67 yards, plus added a TD reception of 37 yards as the Cards used 47-plays to net 490 yards of offense. Senior wide receiver Thomas Spencer added 2-catches for 80 yards and a TD in his varsity debut, as Cards are now 2-1 on the season.
Rockcastle County totaled 302 yards of offense on 64-plays, as junior qb Noah Parkey rushed 12 times for 116 yards and completed 8-21 passes for 81 yards with 2 total TDs in the loss.
Wayne County has some work to do, in the trenches on both sides of the football, but not a bad bounce-back after last week's home loss to Pulaski County.
The Cards travel to Southwestern next week for only the third meeting ever between the two schools, while Rock travels to Adair County.
Rockcastle used to be a team that very few wanted to play.
I was at the game. It was obvious that the Sloan kid was going to be tough to handle from the get-go. I just wish Rockcastle would have shown up in the trenches a little better. My sons and I saw some pancake blocks by Wayne receivers blocking down from the end of the line. As former linemen we usually do a lot of watching the interior line play and that was a little unnerving.
Good luck to both teams on their respective seasons. I hope to see more life out of Rock when I go to the Estill County game in a few weeks. Going to have turn up the attitude and pride a notch when the chips are down.
Congrats Wayne County.
Congrats to Wayne County
How many more years until Mt. Vernon gets a new coach?
FarristownFlyer Wrote:How many more years until Mt. Vernon gets a new coach?

Coaching is not the problem. Talent runs in cycles and Wayne is on a huge upswing right now. The rock will be fine.
PBR Wrote:Coaching is not the problem. Talent runs in cycles and Wayne is on a huge upswing right now. The rock will be fine.

Getting a coaching staff that adequately understands how to both successfully employ, and defend against, an effective passing game would do wonders for the Rockets program.

Parkey has been the head coach since 2008. His record is 66-65 with ZERO regional finals appearances. The problems with the passing game are a big reason why.
Way to go Cardinals!
papagrit Wrote:I was at the game. It was obvious that the Sloan kid was going to be tough to handle from the get-go. I just wish Rockcastle would have shown up in the trenches a little better. My sons and I saw some pancake blocks by Wayne receivers blocking down from the end of the line. As former linemen we usually do a lot of watching the interior line play and that was a little unnerving.
Good luck to both teams on their respective seasons. I hope to see more life out of Rock when I go to the Estill County game in a few weeks. Going to have turn up the attitude and pride a notch when the chips are down.

I'm sad to see that they are down. I thought they were finally moving back up towards the top.
pjdoug Wrote:I'm sad to see that they are down. I thought they were finally moving back up towards the top.

I'm not saying they are "down" Dougie....Wayne County has a pretty good team with an excellent running back. They are just gonna have to find that fire needed by a team that can level playing fields when playing a superior team. Get pancaked during a play....get mad and make the play the next time. I didn't see that. I did see some promise with the Thacker kid running the ball and the coaches boy making some plays out of nothing. Rockcastle was THAT much worse than Wayne or Wayne THAT much better according to the score. After about three touchdowns lead there was some letdown and THAT is , in part, what I'm talking about in needing a little more fire and attitude. I think Rockcastle should have break even season or better this year depending on if they find that fire needed in close games.
papagrit Wrote:I'm not saying they are "down" Dougie....Wayne County has a pretty good team with an excellent running back. They are just gonna have to find that fire needed by a team that can level playing fields when playing a superior team. Get pancaked during a play....get mad and make the play the next time. I didn't see that. I did see some promise with the Thacker kid running the ball and the coaches boy making some plays out of nothing. Rockcastle was THAT much worse than Wayne or Wayne THAT much better according to the score. After about three touchdowns lead there was some letdown and THAT is , in part, what I'm talking about in needing a little more fire and attitude. I think Rockcastle should have break even season or better this year depending on if they find that fire needed in close games.
I wish them the best and hope they get lined out.