Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking News: Junior To Hendricks
SportsFan80 Wrote:BCF4L said it correctly, Earnhardt will be sub par with Hendrick equipment. Johnson and Gordon are the bread winners for them and thats how it will be even with Earnhardt on board. They wont take away anything from those two drivers just to make Earnhardt a winner. He should know that himself, he is now a joke and possibly even a jerk. I dont see him keeping many fans after this.

Junior is a talented driver whose been racing junk the past few years at DEI. Kyle Busch is a hot-headed half-cocked shotgun that's been winning because he has great stuff, not because he's a great driver. I think Junior will have tremendous success in quality Hendrick machines and he's gonna be just as good as Johnson/Gordon. Fans will flock and change their opinions about Gordon/Johnson once Junior starts winning.

Fact is, everyone loves a winner, just look at the Yankees. It's easy to root for them and "good ol' boy" Junior fans will soon find that if you can't beat'em, join'em.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:give it a year or so, then he'll be wishing he would have figured out a deal to drive for Gibbs.

I don't think so. For Junior to move to JGR, that operation would have had to start a fourth team from scratch (meaning unknown chemistry, no owner's points to fall back on and unproven equipment). The 5 operation is a known quantity, and Alan Gustafson is a helluva crew chief. You're also looking at the probability of a sponsor with shallower pockets than Anheuser Busch.

Quote:I think he would have worked much better with Tony, Denny Hamlin and JJ Yeley (who has matured, having a solid season and is EVERY BIT the driver Junior is)

No, he isn't. He will never win at the Cup level.

Quote:I think he went out of his own way to steer clear of RCR (another better fit than Hendrick) just because he wants to stay that far away out of his daddys shadow

You are definitely on to something there. He's very aware of the comparisons fans make between him and his late father, mainly because he makes those comparisons himself and far more harshly than you do. A new-from-scratch team at RCR would also face the same problems as a new-from-scratch team at Gibbs.

My guess is that the National Guard deal goes away from the 25 after this year (all military sponsorships are year-to-year), with the Kellogg's/Carquest colors going there. The 5 team is where Hendrick Motorsports started (with Geoff Bodine, ironically) and I guarantee Hendrick wants that team to be a marquee operation again.
i respect your opinions, I really do. Although the only gripe I have with what you write is, of all things, the JJ Yeley comment, lol...I think Yeley will be a fine driver with another year or so under his belt. He's made some huge strides this year and I think he'll continue to be better. I agree with you that he wont be championship material, but I still have my doubts that Junior will ever win a championship as well. I think Junior is a GOOD driver, not a GREAT driver. I do think he's in a much better position now, but like I said, practically anything is better than DEI. I still believe that Hendrick got the best end of the deal, and thats just because he can get rid of that pain in the ass Kyle Busch, among everything else..I absolutely agree with you that Alan Gustafson is a great crew chief, and will benefit Junior greatly. Junior needs to break away from ALL FAMILY. As far as the comparison to JGR/Hendrick, Id still go with Gibbs though, lol..Gordon and Johnson are champions, yes, but give it a little time and we can say the same about Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin. All in all though, its been an eye opening turn of events for NASCAR this week..
TomSportsHack Wrote:I don't think so. For Junior to move to JGR, that operation would have had to start a fourth team from scratch (meaning unknown chemistry, no owner's points to fall back on and unproven equipment). The 5 operation is a known quantity, and Alan Gustafson is a helluva crew chief. You're also looking at the probability of a sponsor with shallower pockets than Anheuser Busch.

No, he isn't. He will never win at the Cup level.

You are definitely on to something there. He's very aware of the comparisons fans make between him and his late father, mainly because he makes those comparisons himself and far more harshly than you do. A new-from-scratch team at RCR would also face the same problems as a new-from-scratch team at Gibbs.

My guess is that the National Guard deal goes away from the 25 after this year (all military sponsorships are year-to-year), with the Kellogg's/Carquest colors going there. The 5 team is where Hendrick Motorsports started (with Geoff Bodine, ironically) and I guarantee Hendrick wants that team to be a marquee operation again.
Well first off, the little comment about everyone loves a winner just look at the yankees. I hate the damn yankees, always will. Hoss is right though, Junior will never win a championship, no matter where he goes.
Well Im not happy about this but in all honesty I dont blame JR one bit. Hendrick has the best thing going in racing right now. The 5 car is a quality car that is currently in the top 10 in points inspite of Kyle Busch wrecking every other race. Imagine what JR could do in that car with Gustafson calling the shots? To all the people that have basically accused JR of commiting sacriledge heres some trivia for you: Who was the first driver to win a NASCAR race for HMS?...........Dale Earnhardt SR. Juniors Grandfather Robert Gee worked at Hendrick as well when they started so JR has some ties to the orginization. Im still not a Gordon or Johnson fan and I never will be. Im not a Kevin Harvick or Tony Stewart fan either does that mean I cant root for JR if he went to RCR or Gibbs? In short...NO! Some of you guys need to quit drinkin JRs sponsor so much its killing youre ability to rationalize.LOL! Now with all that being said the first time JR pulls over to let the 24 or 48 win is the last day I root for him. To be honest I dont think well see that.
Here's something for those Fairweather Johnson types ... you know, the ones who can't believe that Junior would join up with "the enemy" and say they "just can't pull for Junior no more."

Rivalry? What rivalry?

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJo...061407.htm
If Dale Jr. would have joined Gibbs, JJ Yeley would not be there. Gibbs stated that he did not plan on starting a 4th team. Rumors floating around the garage were that JJ Yeley would be leaving JGR and joining another team, opening up the 18 car for Jr. to drive. This year is the final year in Yeleys contract with Gibbs. Obviously, all of that fell through when Gibbs said they would not have Budweiser as a sponsor.
I, for one, am glad Jr. didn't go to JGR seeing as to how I dislike Jr., and love Tony and Denny. IMO, JGR is just fine the way it is.
BCF4L Wrote:Oh there's no doubt Jr. will keep the fans. Nothing will ever change that. You will just start seeing Jr. fans jumping on the Gordon and Johnson bandwagon. Now you know as well as I do, if you like Jr., then the majority hates Gordon. It won't be like this for long. People will sing praise for Gordon and Johnson. Example: Paul Menard and Martin Truex Jr. Neither of these guys are what you say great drivers, but they have a huge fan base strictly because they are teammates of Jr. Most Junior fans really have no idea what racing is all about, and instead just root for him because they had heard of his daddy. So, because of this, they will root for whoever is his teammates simply because they have never heard of anyone else besides people that are directly related to Jr. in some way.

I WILL STAND AND CHEER EVERY TIME JR. PASSES EITHER ONE! As for Truex not being a good driver. Please, He is in the top ten in points right now and is improving every week. He dominated the Busch till the day he left. I love JR. But, he better watch out for Truex cause now he is the top dog at DEI and will be much better now that JR. is gone.
OffTheHook Wrote:I WILL STAND AND CHEER EVERY TIME JR. PASSES EITHER ONE! As for Truex not being a good driver. Please, He is in the top ten in points right now and is improving every week. He dominated the Busch till the day he left. I love JR. But, he better watch out for Truex cause now he is the top dog at DEI and will be much better now that JR. is gone.
I never said he wasn't a good driver. Every driver in NASCAR is a good driver or else they wouldn't be there. I just don't consider Truex the cream of the crop. Whether he becomes a top driver is up to him, but one thing is for sure, Truex will lose fan support with Jr. switching to Hendrick.
BCF4L Wrote:I never said he wasn't a good driver. Every driver in NASCAR is a good driver or else they wouldn't be there. I just don't consider Truex the cream of the crop. Whether he becomes a top driver is up to him, but one thing is for sure, Truex will lose fan support with Jr. switching to Hendrick.

I don't see it. IMO his fan base will get a little bigger.
OffTheHook Wrote:I don't see it. IMO his fan base will get a little bigger.
I can't see that happening. The only reason fans like him now is because he is apart of Dale Jr.'s team. Once Jr. is gone, noone will care about Truex.
Well, I know one fan he won't lose. I think he has a bright future.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Well Im not happy about this but in all honesty I dont blame JR one bit. Hendrick has the best thing going in racing right now. The 5 car is a quality car that is currently in the top 10 in points inspite of Kyle Busch wrecking every other race. Imagine what JR could do in that car with Gustafson calling the shots? To all the people that have basically accused JR of commiting sacriledge heres some trivia for you: Who was the first driver to win a NASCAR race for HMS?...........Dale Earnhardt SR. Juniors Grandfather Robert Gee worked at Hendrick as well when they started so JR has some ties to the orginization. Im still not a Gordon or Johnson fan and I never will be. Im not a Kevin Harvick or Tony Stewart fan either does that mean I cant root for JR if he went to RCR or Gibbs? In short...NO! Some of you guys need to quit drinkin JRs sponsor so much its killing youre ability to rationalize.LOL! Now with all that being said the first time JR pulls over to let the 24 or 48 win is the last day I root for him. To be honest I dont think well see that.

Good post. As Rick Hendrick pointed out in the news conference, these guys are "teammates" until they get on the track and then it's every driver for themselves.

Also, I agree with Tom about Junior moving to the #5. It was the first car number Hendrick owned and he will not trade the #5 for #8 for the sake of Junior's branding image. Hendrick (or Junior I can't remember which) elluded that he would drive a number between 5 and 25. Well, that only leaves 5, 25 and the 8 if there was a trade. Would they do something like "08"? According to Jayski.com, that number is open.
Budweiser has sponsered #25 Bud chevy before why not again the# does not mean much to me.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Well Im not happy about this but in all honesty I dont blame JR one bit. Hendrick has the best thing going in racing right now. The 5 car is a quality car that is currently in the top 10 in points inspite of Kyle Busch wrecking every other race. Imagine what JR could do in that car with Gustafson calling the shots? To all the people that have basically accused JR of commiting sacriledge heres some trivia for you: Who was the first driver to win a NASCAR race for HMS?...........Dale Earnhardt SR. Juniors Grandfather Robert Gee worked at Hendrick as well when they started so JR has some ties to the orginization. Im still not a Gordon or Johnson fan and I never will be. Im not a Kevin Harvick or Tony Stewart fan either does that mean I cant root for JR if he went to RCR or Gibbs? In short...NO! Some of you guys need to quit drinkin JRs sponsor so much its killing youre ability to rationalize.LOL! Now with all that being said the first time JR pulls over to let the 24 or 48 win is the last day I root for him. To be honest I dont think well see that.
i agree.
This is a great move, Hendricks will be the best team hands down. I'm tired of everyone hating Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson just because there not southern hicks. Get over yourselves and get ready to see some greatness in 08'!!
The more I think about this situation. The best analogy I can think of is its like Coach K coming to coach at UK. None of us would be crazy about it at first but we know the results would be phoenominal.
just seen on espn that Rick Hendrick is going to try to make a deal with DEI to buy or trade for the #8.
JR signs with Sony eletronics Budweiser still up in air.