Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
49th District
After voting to randomly draw seeds instead of head to head mattering, North Laurel and Clay county have to play each other round 1. While Jackson or OBI will be in the region. Thoughts?
One of the dumbest decisions ever, but it's good news for the other district winners. It will also kill attendance numbers at the Arena this year.
Did they already do the blind draw? That means either Jackson County/OBI/RedBird will be in the regional.

Wow if so
Red Bird plays North Laurel winner plays Clay County, OBI plays Jackson County is what I'm hearing.
Not sure why Jackson Co, OBI & Redbird hadn’t voted for a blind draw before if it was an option. I take it was a majority vote, 3 of 5 schools in district.
Rainingthrees Wrote:Red Bird plays North Laurel winner plays Clay County, OBI plays Jackson County is what I'm hearing.
That is correct. KHSAA should make district seeding mandatory statewide.
The real remedy is to do away with districts all together!!!! Go to a super region format. Every team in the region must play once. Then you don’t have the scheduling and travel woes, plus every game would mean something. Rivalries would take on a new excitement. The super region would be seeded according to your region record and everyone gets to the region.....same amount of time and games but way more excitement. Oh yeah first round games at the higher seed, and the rest at the arena in Corbin!!
Silver hawk Wrote:Not sure why Jackson Co, OBI & Redbird hadn’t voted for a blind draw before if it was an option. I take it was a majority vote, 3 of 5 schools in district.

49th has had blind draw for a long time. I understand both sides of the issue. North Laurel or Clay Co. one will be left out of the Region. On the other hand OBI or Jackson Co. one will get to play in the Region. Guess it depends which school you support as to what side of issue you take. Good Luck to all.:Cheerlead
Van Hagar Wrote:That is correct. KHSAA should make district seeding mandatory statewide.

No Districts, should have the choice. 54th also has blind draw.Confusedhh:
[quote=Sportsfanatic2015]49th has had blind draw for a long time. I understand both sides of the issue. North Laurel or Clay Co. one will be left out of the Region. On the other hand OBI or Jackson Co. one will get to play in the Region. Guess it depends which school you support as to what side of issue you take. Good Luck to all.:Cheerlead[/QUOTE

No they hadn’t had a blind draw in many years. When realignment first happened it was a blind draw, but it has been seeded for I would say at least last 10 years. And, inexplicably, the schools voted 5-0 to go back to seeding next year.
Van Hagar Wrote:[quote=Sportsfanatic2015]49th has had blind draw for a long time. I understand both sides of the issue. North Laurel or Clay Co. one will be left out of the Region. On the other hand OBI or Jackson Co. one will get to play in the Region. Guess it depends which school you support as to what side of issue you take. Good Luck to all.:Cheerlead[/QUOTE

No they hadn’t had a blind draw in many years. When realignment first happened it was a blind draw, but it has been seeded for I would say at least last 10 years. And, inexplicably, the schools voted 5-0 to go back to seeding next year.

Not True, OBI and Red Bird will never vote to seed.
:ChairHit:
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:[quote=Van Hagar]

Not True, OBI and Red Bird will never vote to seed.
:ChairHit:

Check today’s Times Tribune. Unless their reporter WHO WAS AT THE DRAW was drunk, it was a 5-0 vote. Coaches even commented on how surprised they were that it happened. You’re wrong here, same as you were when you said 49th had been using a blind draw for a long time, which everyone who follows that district knew wasn’t factual.
Van Hagar Wrote:[quote=Sportsfanatic2015]49th has had blind draw for a long time. I understand both sides of the issue. North Laurel or Clay Co. one will be left out of the Region. On the other hand OBI or Jackson Co. one will get to play in the Region. Guess it depends which school you support as to what side of issue you take. Good Luck to all.:Cheerlead[/QUOTE

It's been seeded for last 7 years, before that 49th was a blind draw. Oneida and Red Bird would be crazy to vote to seed. That is saying in most years I want to play Clay County or N. Laurel in the 1st round of District Tourney. Not going to happen.
:HitWall:
Happened yesterday. Maybe somebody finally had enough sense to say, you know we’ve got the All-A, which takes in OBI and Red Bird, and now the AA, which takes in Jackson Co., maybe we should just go with whatever spot we’ve earned in the all class tournament.
It was a 5-0 vote to seed next year. Amazing, but a fact.
District championship will be the first round, but runner-up doesn’t make the region. Tough luck, but great win for someone.
I’m pretty sure the 49th seeded, 50th seeded 51st drew and 52nd seeded before the 13th region changes. For all the BGR puppies out there the 50th was Corbin, Knox, Barbourville, Whitley and Lynn Camp. The 51st was Bell, Middlesboro, Pineville and Red Bird. The 49th was Clay, Oneida, Rockcastle and Jackson. The 52nd was Harlan city, Cumberland, Evarts and Cawood.
I am hearing red bird which was one point away from beating burg tonite has some help coming. Obi has the opportunity to do same if they wish. Jackson co well they may get a left over from north so I ain’t sure why the first 5-0 vote in years. Usually 3-2
Jackson is always the swing vote and word is they told OBI and Red Bird before the meeting they were voting for the seed again. RB and OBI then voted for seed knowing it was inevitable. Clay and NL people slandered RB/OBI/JCHS after last vote so perhaps they wanted to avoid being publicly blasted. Funny that when the vote is for a seed that you don’t hear crying and nasty comments from RB/OBI about the other schools.
What I would love to see is consistency across ALL districts. KHSAA could solve that with the stroke of a pen if they would.
Would be nice if they'd seed the regional tournament instead of drawing a champion vs. a runner up. Maybe have the top champion vs. bottom runner up.

Same with state tournament. Whoever wins the 11th and 9th have to play each other. That's a travesty.

Seed it all or don't seed it in my opinion.
JustThinking Wrote:[quote=Van Hagar]

It's been seeded for last 7 years, before that 49th was a blind draw. Oneida and Red Bird would be crazy to vote to seed. That is saying in most years I want to play Clay County or N. Laurel in the 1st round of District Tourney. Not going to happen.
:HitWall:
They shouldn’t have the choice. Drawn districts are terrible. You should have to earn your spot. It’s amazing the KHSAA still allows this non sense
I understand why smaller schools would want this. I myself would rather the head to head games matter.