Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic 2018
What do they have coming back? Can they repeat?
Big question mark at qb. They have options. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. They have loads of talent returning. They will be an elite team but likely not as dominant as 2017.
They always are
They have lost all the leaders on offense and defense and in my opinion will struggle due to the fact there is nobody waiting to fill those spots. QB is a huge question mark that will be a growing pain over the next few years. Senior talent has carried this team over the past year. I see this team being knocked out in the regionals. This will be back to what cov cath fans have been used to.
CovCath is loaded on both sides of the ball. 6'5 Mayer and 6'5 Coldiron are both D1 recruits. The entire OLine returns. McGinnis at RB had over 1000 yards. The new qb can run and throw.
UK1fan Wrote:CovCath is loaded on both sides of the ball. 6'5 Mayer and 6'5 Coldiron are both D1 recruits. The entire OLine returns. McGinnis at RB had over 1000 yards. The new qb can run and throw.

Who is the new qb?
Frank Martin Wrote:Who is the new qb?

Either Ruesch who will be a Senior or Sophomore to be Noah Powers.
I expect Cov Cath to repeat.. too much to handle. Disciplined, well oiled machine, too much talent. Expect running clocks against everyone they play again.
I want what you a partaking in...........running clock against everyone?
Didn't have it this year and they were very good, can't see them being better than they were this year.
But then again, I have seen greater things from lesser teams.
Good Luck to Cov Cath, ordered the rings now.
I’m wondering if they won’t utilize a multiple quarterback system. I think they could use several different players according to certain situations that may arise. I guess we shall see.
Could be a real good team and not be close to last year's team.
Cakebattermatters Wrote:They have lost all the leaders on offense and defense and in my opinion will struggle due to the fact there is nobody waiting to fill those spots. QB is a huge question mark that will be a growing pain over the next few years. Senior talent has carried this team over the past year. I see this team being knocked out in the regionals. This will be back to what cov cath fans have been used to.

I think you are wishing more than thinking on this one. :Thumbs:

Cov Cath returns 4 of 5 OLinemen. That's a pretty good building block for any team.

They return 3 of their skilled Offensive players.

They return 4 on the Defensive Side of the ball who started.

Also their placekicker returns.
Hatz Wrote:I think you are wishing more than thinking on this one. :Thumbs:

Cov Cath returns 4 of 5 OLinemen. That's a pretty good building block for any team.

They return 3 of their skilled Offensive players.

They return 4 on the Defensive Side of the ball who started.

Also their placekicker returns.

If you do not think losing a QB the caliber of Mayer is a big impact then you are kidding yourself. Can you name these players or is that what you read somewhere else?
mantax Wrote:If you do not think losing a QB the caliber of Mayer is a big impact then you are kidding yourself. Can you name these players or is that what you read somewhere else?

Simple research.

Go to khsaa website. Pull up starters for the 5A title game. Pull up roster in a different tab.

Cross reference starter with roster to find underclassmen.

No one thinks losing Mayer isn’t difficult but the cupboard isn’t bare. :Thumbs:
If you think Covington catholic isn’t going to be loaded this upcoming season....you aren’t paying attention. They won’t be as dominant as last year for sure.....but they are going to be light years ahead of the last 20 years or so.
Woodsman Wrote:If you think Covington catholic isn’t going to be loaded this upcoming season....you aren’t paying attention. They won’t be as dominant as last year for sure.....but they are going to be light years ahead of the last 20 years or so.

Define the term "loaded". Last years team I would say was "loaded" at all key positions. This years team is going to have a QB that quite honestly is not going to anywhere near what they had last season. That is not a knock on whomever that QB might be, but losing a Division 1 QB that was a three year started is going to have a major impact on your team.
mantax Wrote:Define the term "loaded". Last years team I would say was "loaded" at all key positions. This years team is going to have a QB that quite honestly is not going to anywhere near what they had last season. That is not a knock on whomever that QB might be, but losing a Division 1 QB that was a three year started is going to have a major impact on your team.
Absolutely but whatever qb is used in a given situation has the luxury of state championship line protection and several massive D-1 receivers. Hell, handing the ball of to Casey McGinnis will win a lot of games in and of itself. The colonels will be fine this season. They just need to find what works in given scenarios.
Mantax, I fully acknowledge that Covington catholic has an enormous question at qb. They also have a very dynamic coaching staff that can maximize offensive output. It’s a challenge and an opportunity for them. I don’t see anyone in their region challenging them though. I don’t see it being close really
Woodsman Wrote:Mantax, I fully acknowledge that Covington catholic has an enormous question at qb. They also have a very dynamic coaching staff that can maximize offensive output. It’s a challenge and an opportunity for them. I don’t see anyone in their region challenging them though. I don’t see it being close really

Only time will tell. One very nice season does not make someone completely invincible.
mantax Wrote:Only time will tell. One very nice season does not make someone completely invincible.

No but lots of talent and a phenomenal coaching staff can advance things in the right direction.
CovCath qb already has a scholarship offer to Union College. CovCath will be tough to beat.
mantax Wrote:Define the term "loaded". Last years team I would say was "loaded" at all key positions. This years team is going to have a QB that quite honestly is not going to anywhere near what they had last season. That is not a knock on whomever that QB might be, but losing a Division 1 QB that was a three year started is going to have a major impact on your team.

CovCath is loaded at every position.
Highlands replaced D-1 and all-state qb's for 10 years straight but Cov Cath can't do it once? I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell the Highlands fans. Eviston has built a program not a team and he is a qb guy.
Cov Cath should probably enjoy what they have turned around as a program as it might be changing very quickly with what is going on at the school right now.
plantmanky Wrote:Cov Cath should probably enjoy what they have turned around as a program as it might be changing very quickly with what is going on at the school right now.

What is going on at the school?
Iam4thecats Wrote:Highlands replaced D-1 and all-state qb's for 10 years straight but Cov Cath can't do it once? I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell the Highlands fans. Eviston has built a program not a team and he is a qb guy.

CovCath has 3 qood qbs on the roster.
UK1fan Wrote:What is going on at the school?

The sky is falling and they are getting ready to close up shop
plantmanky Wrote:Cov Cath should probably enjoy what they have turned around as a program as it might be changing very quickly with what is going on at the school right now.

Please provide the details that you have verified so that we may all revel in the downfall of a school that has existed for 93 years.
Cov Cath is loaded, maybe not as much as last year but they have a vary good core group of athletes. They will be tough to beat again this year. They are very good against the run. You better be able to throw efficiently or it's going to be a long night.