Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Schools coming in the next five to ten years...
I only ask this question because I'm the last two days I have been informed through work of two new high schools being planned in Central Kentucky. Today I was informed Scott County is planning to building a second school and Madison Central is possibly going to be split into two schools.

Judging by the growth in Lexington, especially around Georgetown Road, it can only be a matter of time before another high school is built in Lexington between Bryan Station and Dunbar.

Has anyone heard of any other schools coming in the next five to ten years?
I wouldn't be surprised for there to be a new school in Bowling Green, Lexington, and Louisville. The population surges in all 3 places is going to warrant it.

Plus, there will most likely be several more new schools who are charter schools, in random areas regardless of population.

I honestly won't be surprised to see over 10 new schools in the next decade.
Louisville has several high schools that continue to decline in enrollment. I don't think they've had a new high school in years and probably won't be getting any now unless they replace some of the smaller ones.
There were rumors of one being considered in southern part of Laurel Co. in the last couple years. Don't know if anything ever become of it.
Boone county keeps growing, getting a new middle school for 2018 and I believe another high school is on the horizon.
SomeBunnyFan_10 Wrote:There were rumors of one being considered in southern part of Laurel Co. in the last couple years. Don't know if anything ever become of it.

It'll never happen for fear of multiple things.
Another laurel county high school is badly needed in North Corbin but if they do ever build another they will put it somewhere else in laurel county. My guess would be out on 80 heading to Somerset as a West laurel high school or between wyan pine and keavy.

Corbin will eventually win the battle to annex into laurel county they're just waiting on the right money and politician to change the laws. When that happens there will be an arms race between London and Corbin to see who can annex land faster. 50 years from now you will cross from London city limits straight into Corbin city limits on 25 and i75.

I've never understood why the city of London didn't push for a London independent school in the past 30 years. It would really cut into the county school system.
In the end North would probably still be a 5A school since they have 6A numbers now. South would probably drop to 4A or even 3A and London would be somewhere around a 2A similar to Somerset if I was guessing.
Isn't both laurel county schools in city limits? Does the city reap any benefits from that?

As of right now, a kid that lives behind the KFC in Corbin just outside of city limits and across the laurel county line they have to go to school all the way at South in London.
Those kids aree litterally 5 minutes and about 4 miles from Corbin high school.
On a good day with the ridiculous why 25 traffic between Corbin and London, those kids have to drive all the way to London where South laurel sets about 15 miles down the road which can trake you 30 minutes or longer some days

My guess is by 2050, Corbin will be a 5A school. Whitley still a 5A school. Lynn Camp almost non existent with the annexation of Corbin and a new laurel county school only a few miles down the road.
Cities can annex land but that doesn't change the school district boundaries.
That's how schools like Richmond Madison closed - cities grew but district lines stayed the same.
I know Corbin's school district did get to add some land a few years back, but that's rare. I can't see the state ever letting that happen on a large scale.

I don't think a new city district has been formed in the 40 years since I've been paying attention. Districts close, but they never open.
I would say several independent schools will consolidate in the next 10 years and you will have schools similar to Harlan County, especially in Eastern Ky. It's amazing schools like Barbourville and Pineville are still open.
RicFlair Wrote:I would say several independent schools will consolidate in the next 10 years and you will have schools similar to Harlan County, especially in Eastern Ky. It's amazing schools like Barbourville and Pineville are still open.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the smaller independent schools all around the state be absorbed into the local county school. I know some of those schools have been struggling with money for longer than just the last few years. If that happens, I won't be surprised if there are some teams who are suddenly a lot more of a force in football.
RicFlair Wrote:I would say several independent schools will consolidate in the next 10 years and you will have schools similar to Harlan County, especially in Eastern Ky. It's amazing schools like Barbourville and Pineville are still open.

I think this was a legitimate possibility up until last year. I think the trend now, will be for those independent schools to switch over to charter status. They'll get considerably more state funding that way.
Actually charter schools receive less funding per student than public schools. Not only that, but are charter schools eligible for competition in KHSAA?
HCS Wrote:Cities can annex land but that doesn't change the school district boundaries.
That's how schools like Richmond Madison closed - cities grew but district lines stayed the same.
I know Corbin's school district did get to add some land a few years back, but that's rare. I can't see the state ever letting that happen on a large scale.

I don't think a new city district has been formed in the 40 years since I've been paying attention. Districts close, but they never open.

Corbin will be able to change the boundaries every time they annex.
The reason I brought it up was because of the state law concerning concerning towns and annexation into more than 2 counties.
The only reason North Corbin isn't in city limits is because Corbin already lies in Whitley and Knox county.
North Corbin lies in laurel county and according to state law a city cannot be in more than two counties.
That will change when the right money gets put behind the idea.
RicFlair Wrote:Actually charter schools receive less funding per student than public schools. Not only that, but are charter schools eligible for competition in KHSAA?

I'm pretty sure independent schools have less funding than typical county schools. So although charter schools recieve less than county schools, I think they receive more than independent schools. I may be wrong, most of my information about this issue is second hand.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Corbin will be able to change the boundaries every time they annex.
The reason I brought it up was because of the state law concerning concerning towns and annexation into more than 2 counties.
The only reason North Corbin isn't in city limits is because Corbin already lies in Whitley and Knox county.
North Corbin lies in laurel county and according to state law a city cannot be in more than two counties.

If the state allows that to happen, they would have to spend state money to build a bigger Corbin High School and then waste state money already spent on schools in Laurel County that would be half empty, according to the plan you discussed. It would also set a precedent for doing it other places. I think that's part of the reason there hasn't been a new school district in the state in probably half a century.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Corbin will be able to change the boundaries every time they annex.

The law you're referring to determines what can be part of a CITY and has nothing to do with school districts. A school district can not add additional areas unless it is combine with another school district, and in this case that wouldn't be the case.

So the law changing at some point and allowing Corbin to annex into Laurel - which will likely happen - will have ZERO affect on the Corbin school district.
Great Crossing High School is being built as we speak in Scott County. They will be called the "Warhawks"

The school is scheduled to open August 2019
ProudPanther Wrote:The law you're referring to determines what can be part of a CITY and has nothing to do with school districts. A school district can not add additional areas unless it is combine with another school district, and in this case that wouldn't be the case.

So the law changing at some point and allowing Corbin to annex into Laurel - which will likely happen - will have ZERO affect on the Corbin school district.

I've read all this about Corbin trying to annex into Laurel county, but my question is, why? It's not like they really have a school boundary anyway. Every sport at Corbin has kids from at least 5 other schools. Not bashing Corbin, but it's the truth. But I can guarantee you that Laurel county would never in a million years let Corbin annex into Laurel county. Between the dislike for Corbin and money involved, it will never happen.

As far as the other schools go, I'm pretty sure that they've already broke ground for the other high school in Scott County, and it will open in 2019. That's what I was told by a Scott County basketball player father.
ProudPanther Wrote:The law you're referring to determines what can be part of a CITY and has nothing to do with school districts. A school district can not add additional areas unless it is combine with another school district, and in this case that wouldn't be the case.

Even though I don't agree with Gut that Corbin could expand that much, he is right that the Corbin school district was able to annex some land a few years back, so it is done on rare occasions.
RicFlair Wrote:Actually charter schools receive less funding per student than public schools. Not only that, but are charter schools eligible for competition in KHSAA?

KHSAA is all about money. They make up their own rules . They allow privates therefore they will allow charters
HCS Wrote:Even though I don't agree with Gut that Corbin could expand that much, he is right that the Corbin school district was able to annex some land a few years back, so it is done on rare occasions.

The land wasn't annexed - it was gotten in a court dispute with the Whitley system. There is no such thing as annexation for school districts.

And to answer the other question, the reason that the district border is important, is for tax reasons.
Harlan annexed a small amount of property in Harlan County (Woodland Hills) about 20 years ago, but I agree it is rare.
I think I found this in the state laws on schools:

Information About District Boundaries
Annexation
Because ISDs operate independently of city government and are
governed by different statutes, th
eir boundaries have not expanded
automatically with city boundaries. As discussed in Chapter 2,
KRS 160.045 allows ISDs to annex
property or territory.

While options under KRS 160.045 and KRS 160.048 for district
expansion are available to ISDs
, review of district survey
responses regarding use of the statutes
to expand reveals that this is
an opportunity seldom taken. Of the 43 ISDs, 8 districts indicated
that they attempted to utilize KRS 160.045. Of those, six stated
they were successful (Dawson Springs, Elizabethtown, Jackson,
Owensboro, Russell, and Somerset).
Only one district indicated it
was successful under KRS 160.048 (Bow
ling Green). Two districts
noted that their efforts to annex land were stopped by an agreement
to cease attempts to annex or merge which were built into
nonresident reciprocal agreemen
ts with other districts.
If a school district wants to annex a portion of another school district then the school district is required to get 75% of the property owners signatures on a petition. The property owners are every name listed on every deed for land and/or title for a mobile home as of the date that the petition is submitted. This is not as easy task especially for larger areas. The independent school district typically have a higher tax rate. Property owners without students probably would be reluctant to sign and pay higher taxes.

Building a new school does not require the state pay for the school. New schools are finance usually with a twenty year bond. These are issued locally. The school district has to demonstrate that they can pay the bond payments with the funds that they receive. If a school is at their debt capacity then they can not finance a new building until either their revenue increases or until they have reduced their debt.
The next alignment is going to be very interesting. There will be several changes, particularly in the mountains. As far as new schools, I do look for another school in Laurel Countyin the next 10-15 years.