Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Tournament Schedule
Just curious as to why KHSAA has taken 3 weekends out of the summer travel ball schedule. It seems that there may be a conflict between KHSAA and the Travel Ball people. Does anyone have some intelligent insight as to why the schedule has developed like it has the last year and this year? I thought it is suppose to be about the "Athletes" and not the money. Unless you live in or close to Lexington, spreading it out like they have only cost more for travel and trying to get off work. It just don't make sense to me. Opinions?
I would say it is 2 reasons, 1. Pitching rules and 2. Whitaker Bank Park availability. Just a guess.
To be honest, I can't in anyway imagine "travel ball" would ever cross the mind of anyone working at the KHSAA when making decisions about the high school season schedule.

There has been a movement since 2008 to try and find a way to go to a class system for baseball in order to create a more balanced system. However, the KHSAA has dismissed every proposal that comes their way. That decision DOES have to do with money, but has nothing to do with baseball. I think they are worried if baseball changes then basketball will want to do the same, and there's no way the KHSAA is going to give up the "Sweet Sixteen" format from what it has always been.

Basically, they changed the baseball format as a way to appease the people who are wanting a class system. They believe this will allow smaller schools with less players to use their better pitchers for each game. Actually most states do it this way already with a class system. Each round will be at a different location and then the top two teams in each class meet at their state's designated stadium. For us, it would be Legends Field, or Whitaker or whatever it's called.

For example, if KY had a class system; the district and region would be played as they are now, only the teams would be different based on size instead of geographical location. The winner of each regional would meet at a sectional tournament that consisted of four teams. Two games on Friday and championship on Saturday. That would bring you down to four teams left in each class. Two teams would play a best-of-3 series with one game on Friday night and two(if needed) on Saturday to decide the "Semi-State" championship. I've seen states do it with alternating locations as well as set locations. States that have several "centralized facilities," at the college or minor league level make it fun when they hve set locations. Every year, you would know you were going to EKU, UofL, UK, WKU, Campbellsville, etc.to play the sectional and semi-state series. Anyway, so now you have two teams in each class left, they would meet at Whitaker Park/Legends Field to play for the championship. There would only be four-six games played in the championship, and I think that is what worries the KHSAA. They feel like once they give-in to baseball then it's basketball wanting the same thing and that's where they stand to lose money.

I don't think it has anything to do with baseball. Sorry about the rant. This is how I wish they would do it, but I can't see it happening.
Every time there is a push for classification based on enrollment the KHSAA tries to appease the barking schools.

2010- 16 Regional Champions advance to Applebees Park, now Whitaker Bank Park
2016- New mandated pitch count. So they spread the state tournament out over a couple of weeks

Almost every state in the union, and all baseball organizations prior to high school- Little League, etc., and after high school- college, professional play a SERIES against a team each round, or are in a POOL with other teams in the post season. Single elimination in Baseball seems to be only a KHSAA thing.
This year, it was specific to Whitaker Park availability, however every coach in the state knows that this was a rule built for smaller schools to compete. I coach at last years Finals runner-up, and having our #1 and #2 both available for the semi and finals games. Not every team has the fortune like Trinity to have four #1's. I can also state that not a single player on our roster had any issue with missing summer ball. Trust me, it is a hell of a lot more exciting playing for a State Championship than it is traveling to Florida with win a tee-shirt! With our expanded roster, we had several younger players who knew they were not likely to see any action on the field. But the excitement of the the State experience meant more to those young men than getting valuable playing time with their summer team.
Stardust Wrote:This year, it was specific to Whitaker Park availability, however every coach in the state knows that this was a rule built for smaller schools to compete. I coach at last years Finals runner-up, and having our #1 and #2 both available for the semi and finals games. Not every team has the fortune like Trinity to have four #1's. I can also state that not a single player on our roster had any issue with missing summer ball. Trust me, it is a hell of a lot more exciting playing for a State Championship than it is traveling to Florida with win a tee-shirt! With our expanded roster, we had several younger players who knew they were not likely to see any action on the field. But the excitement of the the State experience meant more to those young men than getting valuable playing time with their summer team.

Dropping knowledge like that is the reason why you get paid the big bucks!!!!

It was fun to be a Camel for those games last season.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed