Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Team in your School's History?
What is the best team in your school's history? Should cause some interesting debate. :popcorn:
Likely for Pikeville, was the 1957 3rd place finisher at state back when they played consolation games. Other teams have had better records, in terms of wins, but that was the most successful team.
For June Buchanan, it's the 2007 team. One of the most talented high school basketball teams the mountains have ever seen. That team had 8 players that either went on or could have went on to play college basketball.
Ours might be this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
I know of some good early P-burg teams but right off the top of my head probably the 88'-89' team that won region..With Scott Hall,Chris Slone and them boys..Good team, not much on ol Gordo the coach personally but anyway..
This year's team is the best Purples team ever.
I went to 3 high schools.
Hazard I would say the 1955 team. the last time they won the state title. girls basketball the 1997 team the last time they won the state title.

Perry Co Central. I have to say the 2002 team. they won 26 games in a row. and went 26-2. if they didn't got the big head that team could have went to state semi easy that year. girls is the harder one. I would have to put the 2002 team at number one.

Leslie Co. the 1990 team, the only team to went to the sweet 16. girls it have to be last year team. i don't remember a lot of there girls teams.
For Hazard I agree with the 1955 team that won the state title. I really liked the 2004 team that won the All A state title.
Hazard - 1986 & 1955
My dad says the 1964 Hazard team was the best. Jim and Chester Rose and Freddie Hogg.
Perry Central - Any team that Ben Bowling played for.
I went to Harlan. I'd say the State Champion team Wah Wah Jones played on would have to be considered (1944?). In recent years, the 93-94 team that won the Class A State Championship and made a run in the Sweet 16 (semis?) would be the best in my opinion.
I think the 1994 team for Harlan was the best, but the 1995 team made it to the state final four.
Harlan County - 2013
Cawood - 1978, 1983 or 1986
Evarts - 1983
Cumberland - 1985 or 1984
Harlan - 1995, 1994 or 1944
Shelby Valley - 2010 State Champions obviously, but would be a fun conversation to see what people think about some of the other teams from Shelby Valley, Virgie, Dorton. Because if you include feeder schools then it would be hard to go against a couple of those Virgie teams.
1994 Allen Central! You could make a strong case for that team being one of the two best teams in the state that year. Lost to Fairdale (eventual champs) after star guard Jeremy Hall (played at Wisconsin) was injured in first half.