Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Mountain Coaches of All-Time
I will say this, if Hilton had won a conference championship at Pikeville I would be sold on his #1 legacy. However he had an average tenure and never finished any higher than 3rd.
1-Haywood
2-Hilton
3-Holcomb
4-Howard
5-Larkey
Real Badman Wrote:I will say this, if Hilton had won a conference championship at Pikeville I would be sold on his #1 legacy. However he had an average tenure and never finished any higher than 3rd.

In all fairness, the Mid South had some of the better teams in that conferences history over those 3 or 4 years as well. UC alone made it to a title game.
HighViz Wrote:I'm goin with Hilton at # 1.
If he stayed in high school he would have never been caught. Possibly a few more titles too. Breathitt, Bell, Bourbon, Bell, UPIKE, and Taylor... That's a lot of kids from all different walks of life. A lot of Teaching winners!

Haywood at #2
Proven, hard nosed winner

Howard at #3
Great coach- look at his numbers..

Holcomb at #4
Dynasty of 94-95-96-97-02-07
Great offensive mind, changed the game in eky with the help of Hal.

Larkey at #5
Great Coach and excelled in everyplace he landed so far. Rock, Harlan, now to Perry... We shall see if he can get them to buy in....

I don't disagree to putting Hilton at the top. It's a coin flip really.

But what other years would he have won a state title at Bell? Never. Bell moved to 3A and had to contend with Central. Was his presence really going to change those outcomes? Nope. Hilton won three State Titles and did a whale of a job but there is no evidence he would have won anymore if he had stayed beyond 2010. :Thumbs: