Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg Basketball
Is Prestonsburg still playing basketball?

I lived in that area for 5 years and loved watching 15th region basketball but man what is going on with Prestonsburg? I try to keep with all the 15th region teams and I noticed that they have only played 13 games and only have 22 games scheduled. So has Derossett started football practice or something? I always hear that Prestonsburg is a football school but man they have good basketball players, you should care more about your program.

Its not like Prestonsburg is that great of a football program, I mean what have they done in the last 5 or 6 years. 2A isn't that tough.

Pick it up Prestonsburg.
Ive lived in this area for 40 years went to school there and played basketball there..Yes Prestonsburg is a football school..Have they won state in the last 5-6 years? No, but the football program is way ahead of the basketball program and had good success..The last "good" basketball team we had was about 1988-89' and I mean "good" enough to win region..Even then the football program consistently had players from throughout the county who came to Prestonsburg to play football, not basketball..Its a combination of many things, not just one or two.. I doubt anyone would like to see p-burgs basketball program grow anymore than me but its a long row to hoe..There are so many factors involved..
The factors that are involved are the Derossetts...plain and simple. It kills me when people say this school and that school are football schools/basketball schools. Most athletes do not specialize unless they are head and shoulders better in one sport and have a legit chance to play collegiately, or they have been told by a coach to do so. Either way, these schools that have athletes should be able to field competitive sports teams in both basketball and football. You can't tell me Prestonsburg football is so lined with tradition and excellence that those kids just have to be a part of it and nothing else. I can see it at Trinity...or Highlands...but Prestonsburg?? Give me a break! Trinity has both...and they have enough kids to not need the same players to play football and basketball....on the local level, look at the success Johnson Central has had lately in both sports. Until you have an administration that takes all athletics seriously, Prestonsburg will continue to be mediocre.
More than just one factor, if its the derossetts then who are the other "factors" that let it go on? That encourage it to go on? All I know is what Ive seen and exp'd..Take it for what its worth..Everyone is welcome to their own opinion..Id love to see it change but it seems to many folks are happy with it or it would have changed in the last 20+ years..Prestonsburg athletics were like this years before the derossetts took over..
Im not saying anything bad about the program or coach's at all.Im a big fan of the football program.Just that it is the way it is and has been for a long time. Its not a recent development.