Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 35 Russell 7
voice of reason Wrote:[Image: http://i57.tinypic.com/34otul5.gif]

:yikes:
Russell hasnt beat anybody all year the 8-2 record is deceiving.
Mason, Fleming and Ashland are all pretty good teams. Greenup has a tough defense just no offense to go with it. To say they beat nobody is hyperbole.
No. Mason and Fleming are not good at all Ashland gets worse every week.
I think Pikeville is much improved this year over last year. Much more physical on defense than a year ago.
FBALL Wrote:I think Pikeville is much improved this year over last year. Much more physical on defense than a year ago.

FBALL,

In your opinion, who are they comparable to in our area (or any team you've watched this season), & if you feel they have a weakness, what would it be?
I think they are very similar to Raceland speed wise but a little more physical. If they have a weakness it is a lack of size. I think making sure you go north and south on them is something that can be taken advantage of and play action from power sets.

Offensively they are very solid and balanced. My opinion I would make them beat me throwing down the field. But it's really a pick your poison kind of thing.
I wasnt that impressed with Pikeville. They have a few nice players. Yes they beat Russell by a wide margins, but let's look at a few things that created that. Pikeville was fired up going for an undefeted season, Russell came out flat, played like the weren't into the game. Poor special team play put Pikeville into scoring position on two kickoffs. And on that end of the first half bomb, I don't know if anyone else noticed it but it looked like Russells secondary was moving into a different coverage and got caught out of position. And Russell was missing a starting kinsman and their top back played very little, thus really hampering their ability to keep Pikevilles offense off the field. How would Pikeville perform against a good team without one of there starting kinsman and without Estepe and that team going for an undefeted season? You get my point. Russell is playing mostly soph's and juniors so they're very young and running a new system. No sour grapes though, Pikeville won,Russell lost. I'm glad to get the serious with Raceland back, but id live for Russell to get one more shot at Pikeville next year.
mightydog Wrote:I wasnt that impressed with Pikeville. They have a few nice players. Yes they beat Russell by a wide margins, but let's look at a few things that created that. Pikeville was fired up going for an undefeted season, Russell came out flat, played like the weren't into the game. Poor special team play put Pikeville into scoring position on two kickoffs. And on that end of the first half bomb, I don't know if anyone else noticed it but it looked like Russells secondary was moving into a different coverage and got caught out of position. And Russell was missing a starting kinsman and their top back played very little, thus really hampering their ability to keep Pikevilles offense off the field. How would Pikeville perform against a good team without one of there starting kinsman and without Estepe and that team going for an undefeted season? You get my point. Russell is playing mostly soph's and juniors so they're very young and running a new system. No sour grapes though, Pikeville won,Russell lost. I'm glad to get the serious with Raceland back, but id live for Russell to get one more shot at Pikeville next year.

Really?? Lol A team had a shutout against you goin into the 4 qtr. and they wer just avg? They dominated special teams and they were just ok? We moved the ball on you at will and we had average play calling? If all that makes us average and boring then ill take it. Another thing, if all that is true, and pikeville is just eh, what does that make Russell?
I was impressed with Pileville. Special teams played a huge role in getting them the lead. I thought both teams moved the ball pretty well. Pikeville did what counted though and put it in the endzone. Russell had three first half possessions end inside the Pikeville 25. Panthers made the big plays and the Devils didn't. Pretty much sums it up.

Thought both teams pulled back in the second half.
Mastadon89 Wrote:Really?? Lol A team had a shutout against you goin into the 4 qtr. and they wer just avg? They dominated special teams and they were just ok? We moved the ball on you at will and we had average play calling? If all that makes us average and boring then ill take it. Another thing, if all that is true, and pikeville is just eh, what does that make Russell?

It makes them very young and inexperienced. Russell moved the ball on you guys to. a blown pass coverage, a special teams play, and a score against the jv team led to three easy scores. Theres 21 points right there. Russell had the ball inside Pikevilles 25 three times in the first half. with Russells better blocking linman out and our best rb hurt they just had a hard time getting the tough yards. Like I said, you take away one of your better lineman, and Estep or your best running back and see what happens when you play Raceland. You think you win without them? in a small school any injury to a key player is crucial because of lack of depth.
Any time someone starts their excuses with "the other team was fired up, we were flat", like mightydog did, get ready for an excuse-fest. Truth is, Pikeville could name the score and did. Actually Pikeville was a little sloppy on offense, which is to be expected with the last 4 weeks being an open date and 3 district games where the starters played a half and didn't break a sweat. And Pugh hadn't seen any tough minutes since the Belfry game. But the defense looked very good again. Conley with 36 yards in the first half and then Russell is down 28-0 before their offense runs a play from scrimmage in the 2nd half, of course it is wise to sit him. He wasn't effective in the first half and the game is over before Russell runs a play in the second half. Way to take care of business Panthers and keep rolling!Confusedinglepar
jetpilot Wrote:Any time someone starts their excuses with "the other team was fired up, we were flat", like mightydog did, get ready for an excuse-fest. Truth is, Pikeville could name the score and did. Actually Pikeville was a little sloppy on offense, which is to be expected with the last 4 weeks being an open date and 3 district games where the starters played a half and didn't break a sweat. And Pugh hadn't seen any tough minutes since the Belfry game. But the defense looked very good again. Conley with 36 yards in the first half and then Russell is down 28-0 before their offense runs a play from scrimmage in the 2nd half, of course it is wise to sit him. He wasn't effective in the first half and the game is over before Russell runs a play in the second half. Way to take care of business Panthers and keep rolling!Confusedinglepar

Well we will see what Pikevilles excuses are after losing to Raceland again. you may keep rolling until then. Im sure if two of your starters were out nothing would be said except the better team won. Yeah Conley wasn't effective because he was nursing an injury. Im done here. ill just wait and enjoy your loss to Raceland, again.
mightydog Wrote:Well we will see what Pikevilles excuses are after losing to Raceland again. you may keep rolling until then. Im sure if two of your starters were out nothing would be said except the better team won. Yeah Conley wasn't effective because he was nursing an injury. Im done here. ill just wait and enjoy your loss to Raceland, again.

Lol! Sour grapes.
mightydog Wrote:It makes them very young and inexperienced. Russell moved the ball on you guys to. a blown pass coverage, a special teams play, and a score against the jv team led to three easy scores. Theres 21 points right there. Russell had the ball inside Pikevilles 25 three times in the first half. with Russells better blocking linman out and our best rb hurt they just had a hard time getting the tough yards. Like I said, you take away one of your better lineman, and Estep or your best running back and see what happens when you play Raceland. You think you win without them? in a small school any injury to a key player is crucial because of lack of depth.
If that is the case, what is your excuse for Korzep and McKee being held well below their rushing averages as well? They both appeared healthy, both have almost the same number of carries and yards on the season as Conley, McKee came in averaging almost 100 yards a game passing, to go along with his rushing average hog, and was held to 41 yards passing. Our QB had 149 yards passing on 7-10 completions, so don't blame the rain/wet ball. Russell is a good team. We've given them their credit and will continue to do so. But don't make excuses. You all have a lot more depth than we do, surely one of those on the sideline would be an adequate backup for your best lineman? With that much depth, there has to be someone else close enough in talent to keep it from being a huge drop off.
I seem to remember Pikeville playing a game without their starting RB. About 3 hours on the road against an undefeated team. Could someone refresh my memory how that one went?

Doesn't matter. Panthers beat Russell. Both at home and on the road. By a combined 56 points. Unfortunately the series is over for now. Now, if PHS is fortunate enough to see Raceland, another game will happen that has nothing to do with this one. Rams would be a great test for a Panther squad that has passed every test thus far. It has been a fun ride! Enjoy it, everyone! Hail Pikeville!
Pikeville is very good with a lot of weapons. They will not be an easy out for anybody.
Pikeville and Raceland would be worth the price of admission and then some. Two excellent programs with outstanding defensive teams too, should be a classic. Game at Pikeville is worth 7 points for Pikeville at least and that might just be about the margin of victory. I like this Raceland team more than some of the others I have seen with great records in the past, this team seems to have really good leadership and a lot more focus from game to game. Whoever wins this one will have earned it because I don't think either team will make a lot of silly mistakes.
Raceland/Pikeville will be a war.
Pikeville and Raceland will match up well with each other. Both have very quick defenses all over the field, and both have balanced offenses. Pikeville has a real good special teams unit, not sure about Raceland in that area. Both teams have played tough schedules as well. Both teams are well coached with capable coaching staffs. If/when they meet, it's going to be one game to remember.TongueirateSho
mightydog Wrote:It makes them very young and inexperienced. Russell moved the ball on you guys to. a blown pass coverage, a special teams play, and a score against the jv team led to three easy scores. Theres 21 points right there. Russell had the ball inside Pikevilles 25 three times in the first half. with Russells better blocking linman out and our best rb hurt they just had a hard time getting the tough yards. Like I said, you take away one of your better lineman, and Estep or your best running back and see what happens when you play Raceland. You think you win without them? in a small school any injury to a key player is crucial because of lack of depth.

You know mighty dog it doesn't matter if Alabamas offense of line was playing last Friday night. If you run the spread you have to be able to pass the football. A five man line cannot block 7 or 8. It's absurd to think that all game long you are going to be able to successfully run the ball against a good team who stacks the box. Russell's passing offense is extremely poor and ineffective. I remember teams Ivan had that were more balanced than this one. Russell is much improved but they will be in trouble again in the playoffs when they meet someone who can stiffle the run. A better pikeville team and lack of balance is what lost that game, not the offensive line (who everyone is always so quick to blame). What about our defense who didn't seem to want to stop anyone all night???
Can't disagree maniac. They didn't throw the ball well at all. They came out and laid an egg, it happens to good teams at all levels. If you remember Russell last state team in 05 got throttled by a mediocre at best Boyd
County team. It just looked like they didn't want to be there Friday night, and the mental lapses that led to easy scores kinda proves that. This game is over, let's move on to the playoffs and get on a roll.
mightydog Wrote:Can't disagree maniac. They didn't throw the ball well at all. They came out and laid an egg, it happens to good teams at all levels. If you remember Russell last state team in 05 got throttled by a mediocre at best Boyd
County team. It just looked like they didn't want to be there Friday night, and the mental lapses that led to easy scores kinda proves that. This game is over, let's move on to the playoffs and get on a roll.

That's just the way it is in football. Russell has a fine team, but just flat out got beat by a better team that night. Just take your loss, and move on.
Any excuse will never erase the loss. Best of luck to Russell in the playoffs.