Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Postseason Play... Right or Privilege???
Right: Morally good, justified, or acceptable.

Privilege: A special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.

My question to the BGR population..... Is postseason play a Right or a Privilege?

To my knowledge... in every other KHSAA sanctioned sport, including team and individual competitions, everybody gets at least one post-season game/contest. In 4A, there will be five teams that will miss the playoffs beacuse of their W/L records.

That means that the KHSAA would only allow the best teams/individuals based on their W/L records in postseason play for every other sport OR make a provision to allow the other football teams that aren't going to make the playoffs this season get at least one post season game. Fair is Fair.

In my opinion, Postseason play IS AN EARNED PRIVILEGE!!!! Nobody has ever been given the right to play for the state championship just because. I wasn't given my current career status, I had to EARN IT! That is a major problem that we are seeing on a regular basis with young offenders in my line of work. They think that everything should be handed to them without asking and it had better be right now. Why in the world we are allowing teams in the postseaon play without winning a game is beyond me. That has NO positive effect, on any level. Not winning a single game, and then being awarded goes against the whole purpose of playing sports and competition.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Any sports that are on the T-Ball age group should be more focused on getting the kids introduced to the sport. No so much on a winner and a looser.

But when kids get in to 4th grade and above.... there is no reason that each sporting contest doesn't have a winner and a looser. I do agree with modified rules for certain sports to keep kids from getting hurt OR when a better team is up 50+ points on a not so good team & letting every kid that comes out for the team get at least 1 full period/inning of play per game. I know it happens in every school in the world, but the coaches have their picks of who they play regardless if they are good or not... and sometimes there are better players on the bench simply because of politics.

Life is not fair. You won't always feel like a winner. You won't always be able to enter a "Cheat Code" for your problems....
Sports are a great teacher of life lessons.

There is no way anybody that played any high school sport(s) can't say they aren't a better person for it.
Another way to beat the same dead horse. Every year there are multiple threads where couch coaches are complaining about the 6 class system. It is fair, it works, the kids are having fun. Why should we change it for the pleasure of a bunch of has beens or never was'?
Idc if there 3,000 classes and every kid plays one on one rise and shine games on a 5x5yd field. Playoffs should mean something. Take the top 2 in each district, extend the season by a week or 2 and be done with it.
In an ideal situation ever playoff team would have to have at least one District win and at least one Non-District win from a class of equal or greater size to qualify.

Unfortunately that ain't happening.
Earn your keep!!!
^ I know it's a different animal and I'm kicking a dead horse but, should high school basketball teams "earn their keep" to play in district tournaments? Don't they ALL get a shot at the State Championship by automatically entering post season play?
mysonis55 Wrote:Another way to beat the same dead horse. Every year there are multiple threads where couch coaches are complaining about the 6 class system. It is fair, it works, the kids are having fun. Why should we change it for the pleasure of a bunch of has beens or never was'?

Truer words have never been spoken.

Whats all the constant year after year whining about?
I know for a fact that the kids don't mind playing the extra games. Call me crazy, but I bet the ENJOY it.
The playoffs are really easy to understand in this state compared to others.

If a one seed beats a four seed 100-0 in the first game, who cares. The younger players that don't see much time gets into the game. If the four seed knows there going to get killed, nobody is stopping them from forfeiting if they want to.

The state will never be perfectly aligned unless there is a 5 class system.
And that is never going to happen. 6 classes are here to stay. Might as well get use to it.
Idc how many classes there are as ive mentioned before and tbh, it doesnt matter much to me if its automatic or earning your way in. My only issue is that there is one class, i believe its 5A in which one team WILL NOT make the playoffs under any circumstances. Correct me if I am mistaken on that.

But i think its 5A in which district A has 3 teams and district B has 6. The district B's 5th seed plays as district A's 4th seed, while district B's 6th seed does not make the playoffs.

If I am wrong, please someone tell me so. Bit if I am correct, then that is BS if 220 teams make the playoffs automatically, but 1 team doesnt if they finish last. It will kill me to be that team. What if they work their butts off and that district is decided by tie breakers and then another class has 2 or 3 ZERO win teams make the playoffs yet a 4-6/5-5 team that just so happened to lose all but one of their district games have to set at the house?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Idc how many classes there are as ive mentioned before and tbh, it doesnt matter much to me if its automatic or earning your way in. My only issue is that there is one class, i believe its 5A in which one team WILL NOT make the playoffs under any circumstances. Correct me if I am mistaken on that.

But i think its 5A in which district A has 3 teams and district B has 6. The district B's 5th seed plays as district A's 4th seed, while district B's 6th seed does not make the playoffs.

If I am wrong, please someone tell me so. Bit if I am correct, then that is BS if 220 teams make the playoffs automatically, but 1 team doesnt if they finish last. It will kill me to be that team. What if they work their butts off and that district is decided by tie breakers and then another class has 2 or 3 ZERO win teams make the playoffs yet a 4-6/5-5 team that just so happened to lose all but one of their district games have to set at the house?

There are more than one team that doesn't make the playoffs.
Class 1A and 6A are the only two classes with 32 teams where everyone make the playoffs. In the other classes, teams have to miss because some districts have more than 4 teams. In class 5A, as you stated, there will be 4 or 5 teams that don't make it. Two teams from district 7 alone will not go.
I stand by my five class comment. If you broke the state into five classes, there would be enough teams to make every district have at least one, maybe two teams who wont make the playoffs. It also makes each class much more competitive. I also stated every team would have to play where there enrollment put them no matter the case. Geography would be a problem.
But, as I said, the six class system is staying, its not going anywhere, and fans sure aren't going to make it change. This is the SCHOOLS AND COACHES who vote on this.
Up until 3/4 years ago, maybe longer, it was the top two teams. Then realignment, extended season, starting middle of Aug. I personally like WV point system. I believe they have 3 classes. If a 1 class beats a 3 class they get extra points. If a 3 beats a 1 no extra points. End of season w/l and points added up for playoffs. Maybe someone from WV could shed some light.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:Up until 3/4 years ago, maybe longer, it was the top two teams. Then realignment, extended season, starting middle of Aug. I personally like WV point system. I believe they have 3 classes. If a 1 class beats a 3 class they get extra points. If a 3 beats a 1 no extra points. End of season w/l and points added up for playoffs. Maybe someone from WV could shed some light.

For a couple of years, they changed the playoffs to where teams from the same district played in the first and second round to determine the district champion. Then, you went on to the region title game to play the winner from the opposite district.
I think they only done that for two years, like in 06 and 07. It was set up similar to basketball.

As for the two teams comment, there has always been four teams from each district making the playoffs in the four class system up until now. I don't ever remember only two teams from each district being taken
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:For a couple of years, they changed the playoffs to where teams from the same district played in the first and second round to determine the district champion. Then, you went on to the region title game to play the winner from the opposite district.
I think they only done that for two years, like in 06 and 07. It was set up similar to basketball.

As for the two teams comment, there has always been four teams from each district making the playoffs in the four class system up until now. I don't ever remember only two teams from each district being taken
When I played in the 70's it was the top two from each district and I think there was only 4 classes, but I may be wrong on classes.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:When I played in the 70's it was the top two from each district and I think there was only 4 classes, but I may be wrong on classes.

That was before my time friend Confusednicker:
You stated "up until 3/4 years ago"

And in the 70's, if im not mistaken, it was only a 3 class system.
Not before my time.
One team per district from 1959 to the late 70s, then there were some sub-districts for a few years, until the mid 80s.
Three classes until 1975, but 3A was Louisville only.
I certainly prefer the old 4 class system and how it worked compared to this 6 class system.

First round of the playoffs now are just a tune up game for the next round 90% time.
You guys are under the impression HS football is for you like the nfl. I may be mistaken but I believe KHSAA sports are for the students. Even the ones who are on bad teams or are on very good team and never get to play. Give the kids a chance to play.

I feel for the kids left out. Usually just means their program will continue to tank.
I like the present system. More kids make the playoffs. Other than 1A and 6A you don't have mismatches between schools enrollment wise. It is amazing how close the enrollments are in the other classes. Not perfect but nothing is.
Top 2 teams from each district should go. A winless team or a 1 win team w/ no district wins has NO BUISNESS being in the playoffs.
I have to ask......

If teams are left out of the playoffs in football because of their record, then why do no other sports have teams to miss postseason play because of their record?

Fair is Fair.

- Make Postseason play an EARNED PRIVILEGE for every KHSAA sport based on their W/L record.
OR
- Allow every football team at least one postseason game like every other sport gets, no matter their W/L record.
Just consider yourselves lucky in the state of Kentucky to have the system you have. I coached in Kentucky after being in Indiana for my entire life and loved the system. I ended up back home in Indiana and I am with a good program. Being with a good program is where the problem lies.

In Indiana, the playoff is a blind draw. Every single team makes the playoffs and then ping pong balls (like the lottery) determine who plays who and where they play. If you are a terrible team you like it because you have a chance to draw another bad team and possibly get a playoff win. When you are with a good program like I am fortunate enough to have been, you hate it because you get screwed more often than not. This year, we got screwed (as we have the past 4). We finished 3rd in our conference at 6-2 and drew the second place team for the first round, on the road of course. If we win? A date with the 1st place team. Meanwhile, the 4 other teams in our sectional? All losing records, meaning the third round of the playoffs will feature a team with a losing record against a minimum 8 win team.

I'll take Kentucky's system any day!
KYcoach Wrote:Just consider yourselves lucky in the state of Kentucky to have the system you have. I coached in Kentucky after being in Indiana for my entire life and loved the system. I ended up back home in Indiana and I am with a good program. Being with a good program is where the problem lies.

In Indiana, the playoff is a blind draw. Every single team makes the playoffs and then ping pong balls (like the lottery) determine who plays who and where they play. If you are a terrible team you like it because you have a chance to draw another bad team and possibly get a playoff win. When you are with a good program like I am fortunate enough to have been, you hate it because you get screwed more often than not. This year, we got screwed (as we have the past 4). We finished 3rd in our conference at 6-2 and drew the second place team for the first round, on the road of course. If we win? A date with the 1st place team. Meanwhile, the 4 other teams in our sectional? All losing records, meaning the third round of the playoffs will feature a team with a losing record against a minimum 8 win team.

wow that is tough. I like our system and who cares these are kids that are getting to experience a big trip to get them out of the area. Some kids that may be the only chance they will ever get to travel.
KYcoach Wrote:Just consider yourselves lucky in the state of Kentucky to have the system you have. I coached in Kentucky after being in Indiana for my entire life and loved the system. I ended up back home in Indiana and I am with a good program. Being with a good program is where the problem lies.

HAHA

That sounds awful

If memory serves me correctly...
Didn't Lawrence County have to travel to Mayfield for a playoff game??? This was Kentucky's trial on the blind draw that lasted one season.
If we went by the old rules the 1 loss Cooper team that made the state game would have missed out. They lost a 3 way tie breaker and ended up 3rd in the district. Even though they lost to Bowling Green that was a great run and a special team.
I do not think post season play should be a right......

Call me old.
I agree with Granny. I liked it much better when only the winner and runner-up went to the play-offs. Guess I'm old, too.
For all of those who disagree with the current system and would like to see it changed back to the old way, tell your coach and AD.

Some of you act like this is the KHSAA. The SCHOOLS are the one who voted for this. The KHSAA takes votes every few years to see if coaches want to keep it the way it is or do it differently.

Last year, they once again voted to keep 4 teams from each district in the playoffs, and this was not a close vote. In fact, the schools overwhelmingly favor the current structure.
30-70 year old BGR keyboard warriors will have no effect in the way the game is played.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:If memory serves me correctly...
Didn't Lawrence County have to travel to Mayfield for a playoff game??? This was Kentucky's trial on the blind draw that lasted one season.

The year was 1991. MHS 21 LC 18 was the final score.
Just my personal choice. It fits well with the "give 'em all a trophy for participating" era.I am well aware that this matter is voted on by the schools, as it should be.