Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best coaches in the mountains
Phillip Haywood- Belfry
Jim Matney- Johnson Central
Wayne Mills- Knox Central
im goin with coach hall before he quit coaching football for the cardinals
TheyKnowMe Wrote:LOL!!!!:thatsfunn Hager at Belfry? Why in the world would he do that. Funniest thing I heard on BGR.

Matney
Hager
Haywood

Because thats where he came from.. Thats his alma-mater
i agree
TakeItToTheHouse Wrote:Holcomb
Koogler
Hilton
Haywood
Mills
Old Timer Wrote:First of all...congrats to Jenkins!
You guys are making this thread a farce.

Come on Guys, get real.

Your in the playoffs congrats,
I guess next someone will say Jenkins has the best lineman, rb, WR, etc in the mountains.
I know you are excited and all but the thread is called "Best coaches in the Mountains".

A 3-6 season doesn't make one a great coach...most places it gets you fired.

:devilflam whats your problem old man!? do you have something against jenkins or what. whats wrong with this boys giving there coach, that took them to the playoffs the first time in 12 years, a little support? they have an opinion just like everyone else. want you let them feel good about there self for once. :redboxer: oh by the way Im not a player or a coach im just a fan!
Just my opinionSadI also do not consider Russell to be the mountains)

1. Phillip Haywood, Belfry- Two State Titles, 3 Runner-Ups, Successful at 3A and 2A, Program seems to only be getting better and stronger, helped bring unbelievable facilities to a small school. Top 5 winningest coach of all time.

2. Mike Holcomb, Breathitt- 3 State Titles, turned small Breathitt into a state power

3. Hilliard Howard, LCC- More so on his past laurels at Pikeville where at the time of his retirement he was the ELITE coach in the mountains. Has LCC on the right track. Legend.

4. Dudley Hilton, Bell Co.- Won state title at Bell, maintained Bell as the top 3A program in mountains for years. Top 5 winningest coach of all time. In short stint at Knox Central, he revitalized a dying program.

5. Kenny Roark, Middlesboro- State title, has maintained Middlesboro as a power at both 1A and 2A.

6. Jim Matney, Johnson Central- The best of coaches with no titles. Took hapless Sheldon Clark and completely built them from bottom, has immediately established Johnson Central as a pwoerhouse. No title... YET... once he gets one I would easily list him ahead of Hilton.

7. Tom Larkey, Rockcastle- No State Titles, but has led the Rockets to the Title Game. Defensize guru!

8. Shawn Hager, Sheldon Clark- Best young coach in the mountains, huge future ahead of him and truly cares for his players.

9. John Derrossett, Pburg- Has taken the Blackcats to the promised land, no state titles. Gets the most out of his team, but has had history of having REALLY down years and controversy.

10. Chris McNamee, Pike Central- Excellent coach, just not alot of administrative help at Pike Central. Built Hawks to formidable standards before going to Pikeville..now must rebuild again. Great mind, needs help.
Matney
Relying in great part on Orionspi's excellent analysis, here is my list:

1. Haywood - 5 times to the show/ 2 titles / near the top of winningest coaches of all time / stellar (perhaps the best) repuation for running a class program in the state / arguably did more with less than Holcomb (talent wise)

2. Holcomb - 3 titles / produced some awesome teams / took advantage of unbelievable run of Quarterback talent and made Breathitt Co football as exciting as anyone in the state

3. Hilton - 1 title at Bell and another at Bourbon (very impressively) / uncanny reputation for developing a great gameplan /

4. Howard - 3 Consective titles / Had Pikeville ranked in the USA Today top 25 NATIONWIDE during the title run!!!!!!!!!!!! / frankly, is currently dealing with some tarnish on his legacy / Letcher Co. Central has facilities and enrollment, Howard needs to produce

5. Larkey - Rockcastle Co has consistenly been a contender to make a run for the title in 3a, getting there recently only to run headlong into Boyle during it's dynasty run / Outside Legar, Rock has had few super-talented players, yet simply produce / have outplayed Bell in recent vintage

6. Matney - Has the potential to rank #1 on this list / only time will tell / matney is in a position in which he has a large enrollment, good support, and talent / look for JC to be a top 10 team year in and year out in 4a
orisonspi Wrote:Just my opinionSadI also do not consider Russell to be the mountains)

1. Phillip Haywood, Belfry- Two State Titles, 3 Runner-Ups, Successful at 3A and 2A, Program seems to only be getting better and stronger, helped bring unbelievable facilities to a small school. Top 5 winningest coach of all time.

2. Mike Holcomb, Breathitt- 3 State Titles, turned small Breathitt into a state power

3. Hilliard Howard, LCC- More so on his past laurels at Pikeville where at the time of his retirement he was the ELITE coach in the mountains. Has LCC on the right track. Legend.

4. Dudley Hilton, Bell Co.- Won state title at Bell, maintained Bell as the top 3A program in mountains for years. Top 5 winningest coach of all time. In short stint at Knox Central, he revitalized a dying program.

5. Kenny Roark, Middlesboro- State title, has maintained Middlesboro as a power at both 1A and 2A.

6. Jim Matney, Johnson Central- The best of coaches with no titles. Took hapless Sheldon Clark and completely built them from bottom, has immediately established Johnson Central as a pwoerhouse. No title... YET... once he gets one I would easily list him ahead of Hilton.

7. Tom Larkey, Rockcastle- No State Titles, but has led the Rockets to the Title Game. Defensize guru!

8. Shawn Hager, Sheldon Clark- Best young coach in the mountains, huge future ahead of him and truly cares for his players.

9. John Derrossett, Pburg- Has taken the Blackcats to the promised land, no state titles. Gets the most out of his team, but has had history of having REALLY down years and controversy.

10. Chris McNamee, Pike Central- Excellent coach, just not alot of administrative help at Pike Central. Built Hawks to formidable standards before going to Pikeville..now must rebuild again. Great mind, needs help.

gah what a post! lol
Two words. Sidesaddle Jack!!!!! Pride of Elkhorn City
orisonspi Wrote:4. Dudley Hilton, Bell Co.- Won state title at Bell, maintained Bell as the top 3A program in mountains for years. Top 5 winningest coach of all time. In short stint at Knox Central, he revitalized a dying program.

Coach Hilton has never coached Knox Central.
Stumpjumper Wrote:Coach Hilton has never coached Knox Central.
Actually I do stand corrected.... I was almost positive that Hilton took over for one year at Knox Central after retiring from Bell somewhere in the 1998-2000 seasons when Tom Greer was the headman at Bell... but after researching he never did. I knew he was supposed to be the head coach there one year.

My mistake... good call Stumpjumper
Coach Hilton won a state championship with Bourbon County the year Greer was coach at Bell.
Stumpjumper Wrote:Coach Hilton won a state championship with Bourbon County the year Greer was coach at Bell.
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a stir though before Hilton came back to Bell where he was planning on coaching at Knox Central?

BTW, that championship at Bourbon is one of the greatest coaching jobs I have ever seen.. further solidified by the fact that the program was was weak wehn he arrived and is horrbile now... to push that team to a title was special.
I agree with ospi--but I'd like to throw Jay Cobb in there. No titles but has won nearly evrywhere hes been. Classy guy as well.
orisonspi Wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a stir though before Hilton came back to Bell where he was planning on coaching at Knox Central?

Possibly, Hilton likes to leverage his negotiations and it helps if you can go in with an offer from another team. Probably what you are remembering is that Hilton did informally interview for the KC job before Wayne Mills was hired. Tom Larkey also interviewed and was actually much closer to accepting than most people would believe. Either of those two would have been a great hire for the Panthers although I think when all is said and done Mills will turn out to be an outstanding choice.
well i think that mark johnson is a good coach but i think Coach Hall is a very good coach...and Coach Brown is very good