Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Washington, WV 27 Ashland 26
I think Ashland will continue to have offensive problems as long as they continue to use two offensive coordinators. How do they handle the play calling? Does Dowdy call a play in and then Tackett calls one in? It just doesn't seem very efficient to me. No bashing, just my opinion.
rn4ever Wrote:BAKER isn't ashlands only option. We scored even when you claim he got "no touches"! What's the point in Ashland being so excited about their great backfield if they don't use them correctly. Quintons lack if touches didn't lose the game. Every team knows he's gonna get the ball and keys in on him. Giving the same kid the ball every play (or even majority of the plays) is gonna eventually bite Ashland in the butt (especially after playing these same teams for years)! We have to mix it up. There's no reason not to we have other boys just as good. The coaches know that. We lost because of some sloppy game play and HORRIBLE special teams defense. No excuses.
actually he got very few if any touches in the second quarter and we did not even get a first down let alone score in that quarter. This was after he rushed for almost 100 yards in the first quarter alone and we had our only td of the first half.
Agreed not sure how they do it but both have put their own spins and plays in the play book which is only more confusing to the different packages and players sets. Ashland burned all 3 of their timeouts last night in the first half due to wrong personal or alignment problems.
rn4ever Wrote:BAKER isn't ashlands only option. We scored even when you claim he got "no touches"! What's the point in Ashland being so excited about their great backfield if they don't use them correctly. Quintons lack if touches didn't lose the game. Every team knows he's gonna get the ball and keys in on him. Giving the same kid the ball every play (or even majority of the plays) is gonna eventually bite Ashland in the butt (especially after playing these same teams for years)! We have to mix it up. There's no reason not to we have other boys just as good. The coaches know that. We lost because of some sloppy game play and HORRIBLE special teams defense. No excuses.
Definitely not the only option but kid is the best player on the team and a D1 bound. Quit trying to spread teams out and trick people. Line up and play smash mouth. Baker is hitting the holes hard he will create his own space get a hat on a hat let Prince, Sutton, Baker, and Long go to work.
21 -178 Baker, 9-74 Prince, 7-66 Long, 7 -23 Sutton. First 3 averaging almost a 1st down with every touch.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I will go more with poor play. 4 fumbles one being a bad hand-off and the other a pass thrown behind the line of scrimmage. As well as an interception leading to three turnovers. And then allowing a kick return td under a minute to go and having the returner in your arms but just not tackling. Comes down to poor execution sloppy play and one sloppy coaching decision not to squib kick. I'd say we played pretty poorly and got beat by a GW team that got spanked 59-14 the week before. Absolutely no improvement tonight at all. Make no mistake this is not the GW teams of years past.

Very astute analysis. I am convinced that tomcat722000 is not the typical Ashland fan. He doesn't wear blinders.

I am getting the feeling that there is, among you Ashland posters, a lack of love for your Coach Love. Am I wrong? With the exception of Johnson Central and, maybe, Ironton, your schedule is as soft as Charmin for the remainder of the season. Your record should be good. But, sooner or later, you play CovCath or FTH and your season abruptly ends.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Very astute analysis. I am convinced that tomcat722000 is not the typical Ashland fan. He doesn't wear blinders.

I am getting the feeling that there is, among you Ashland posters, a lack of love for your Coach Love. Am I wrong? With the exception of Johnson Central and, maybe, Ironton, your schedule is as soft as Charmin for the remainder of the season. Your record should be good. But, sooner or later, you play CovCath or FTH and your season abruptly ends.
I think Tony love has done a decent job. Especially with how inexperienced his teams have been. He's trying to cut down on the two way players and it is making Ashland thin right now especially on the defensive side of the ball. I think you have to look at it as sacrificing some short term wins for long term improvement. We will see in the next couple of years if he and his staff can develop enough good players to pull this off.
I like him ,definitely question of few of his decisions but he knows more about what's best for the Tomcats then I do. Hope his 2 headed OCs work out but I don't think it's working out right now. I love that he is trying to build depth and play a lot of players keeping kids from having to go both ways.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Very astute analysis. I am convinced that tomcat722000 is not the typical Ashland fan. He doesn't wear blinders.

Well no kidding. Just about everybody's season ends when they play CovCath or FTH.

One thing you and I completely agree on is that Ashland fans can seem to grasp that it's a different world than it was 50 years ago. Ashland is no longer a big school and they should measure success differently.
T-CATS Wrote:21 -178 Baker, 9-74 Prince, 7-66 Long, 7 -23 Sutton. First 3 averaging almost a 1st down with every touch.

That's plenty of carries for Baker. He was cramping in the second half.
T-CATS Wrote:I like him ,definitely question of few of his decisions but he knows more about what's best for the Tomcats then I do. Hope his 2 headed OCs work out but I don't think it's working out right now. I love that he is trying to build depth and play a lot of players keeping kids from having to go both ways.

Ashland is averaging nearly 35 points a game. The offense and it's coordinators are doing just fine.
Leaping Lee Wrote:Ashland is averaging nearly 35 points a game. The offense and it's coordinators are doing just fine.
don't let the numbers lie.there are some problems only 7 points against Raceland in first half and only 6 against GW. Penalties and using all three timeouts in the firs quarter cause we are in the wrong formation. Things like this need to be fixed.
T-CATS Wrote:Definitely not the only option but kid is the best player on the team and a D1 bound. Quit trying to spread teams out and trick people. Line up and play smash mouth. Baker is hitting the holes hard he will create his own space get a hat on a hat let Prince, Sutton, Baker, and Long go to work.

TCats are you always this obnoxious with your posts? I don't understand how a TEAM can have only 1 great player. He is a great RB... that's what he does... but there are quite a few more kids out there with equal athleticism. Great player yes! BEST on the team...no. Why...BECAUSE ITS A TEAM! Without the other players he wouldn't be who he is! He's a kid. And for anyone to put that kind of pressure on him or any other kid is wrong. And despite what you apparently think he isn't the only player D1 bound. It'll all sort itself out in the end.
Should have won this game.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:don't let the numbers lie.there are some problems only 7 points against Raceland in first half and only 6 against GW. Penalties and using all three timeouts in the firs quarter cause we are in the wrong formation. Things like this need to be fixed.

So the second half doesn't count? Just a reminder every lineman for Ashland is a first year starter.
Leaping Lee Wrote:So the second half doesn't count? Just a reminder every lineman for Ashland is a first year starter.
never said that. Just pointing out some fallacies in looking only at the numbers. The numbers say everything is fine. The eye test says there are some links that need fixed before district play.
rn4ever Wrote:TCats are you always this obnoxious with your posts? I don't understand how a TEAM can have only 1 great player. He is a great RB... that's what he does... but there are quite a few more kids out there with equal athleticism. Great player yes! BEST on the team...no. Why...BECAUSE ITS A TEAM! Without the other players he wouldn't be who he is! He's a kid. And for anyone to put that kind of pressure on him or any other kid is wrong. And despite what you apparently think he isn't the only player D1 bound. It'll all sort itself out in the end.

Excellent post. Baker is a good running back. There are multitudes better than him in high schools around the Commonwealth and around the country. But, he is certainly good- for this area. Ashland's success will depend on much more than Baker. Long appears to be a good pickup. It would be a shame for them to waste him but that could easily happen. Prince does a decent job as do many more on the roster. Teams win and teams lose. It is a team sport.

I think history is clear that Ashland's season will result in, most likely, a runnerup in the district to Johnson Central. The other district teams are ultra weak non entities. And, there should be a first round win against one of the weaker teams from up north. Then it all ends with a lopsided loss to CovCath or FTH. That is how it always goes and there is no reason to believe it will be any different this year. Still, winning 7 or 8 games is probably good for Ashland.

As Leaping Lee so astutely posted, Ashland's status in area sports isn't what it was 50 years ago. Those days are relegated to the history books. Unfortunately for current players, too many of Ashland's fans still live in the distant past in regard to area sports. As Simon and Garfunkel so aptly sang, "Joltin' Joe has left and gone away".
It's a team sport for sure and Baker or Long or Prince or Sutton or anyone else is only as good as their line in front of them. Hope we have multiple D 1 kids on our team. Harry don't you have a NCC thread to comment on or FTH which by the way they aren't sounding like the FTH teams of the past.
T-CATS Wrote:It's a team sport for sure and Baker or Long or Prince or Sutton or anyone else is only as good as their line in front of them. Hope we have multiple D 1 kids on our team. Harry don't you have a NCC thread to comment on or FTH which by the way they aren't sounding like the FTH teams of the past.

Now, now, T-CATS. Let's wait and see who is playing in late November. My NCC, CovCath, and FTH will still be putting on their pads. Your boys will not.

Why post on your threads? You, of course. After some of your silly posts about NCC and your smoke blowing in other areas, it becomes a bit of a lark fencing with you. That goes for most Ashland posters in most any sport. However, that doesn't apply to tomcatfan722000 or to Leaping Lee both of whom seem to live in the real world.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Now, now, T-CATS. Let's wait and see who is playing in late November. My NCC, CovCath, and FTH will still be putting on their pads. Your boys will not.

Why post on your threads? You, of course. After some of your silly posts about NCC and your smoke blowing in other areas, it becomes a bit of a lark fencing with you. That goes for most Ashland posters in most any sport. However, that doesn't apply to tomcatfan722000 or to Leaping Lee both of whom seem to live in the real world.
I love you optimism about NCC but by the sound of their threads they are a team of turmoil, and keep posting Ashland won't be playing in November so I can pull them back up when your wrong.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Excellent post. Baker is a good running back. There are multitudes better than him in high schools around the Commonwealth and around the country. But, he is certainly good- for this area. Ashland's success will depend on much more than Baker. Long appears to be a good pickup. It would be a shame for them to waste him but that could easily happen. Prince does a decent job as do many more on the roster. Teams win and teams lose. It is a team sport.

I think history is clear that Ashland's season will result in, most likely, a runnerup in the district to Johnson Central. The other district teams are ultra weak non entities. And, there should be a first round win against one of the weaker teams from up north. Then it all ends with a lopsided loss to CovCath or FTH. That is how it always goes and there is no reason to believe it will be any different this year. Still, winning 7 or 8 games is probably good for Ashland.

As Leaping Lee so astutely posted, Ashland's status in area sports isn't what it was 50 years ago. Those days are relegated to the history books. Unfortunately for current players, too many of Ashland's fans still live in the distant past in regard to area sports. As Simon and Garfunkel so aptly sang, "Joltin' Joe has left and gone away".

There are not numerous in the state better than Baker at the running back position. In the nation sure, but not in Kentucky.
T-CATS Wrote:I love you optimism about NCC but by the sound of their threads they are a team of turmoil, and keep posting Ashland won't be playing in November so I can pull them back up when your wrong.

You must have attended a government school because you don't comprehend well. I said "play in late November" not "play in November". Most all ll of them will be playing a bit in November.

You surely aren't saying that Ashland will defeat FTH or CovCath, are you? If you are so implying, you know why I like to "debate" you. It is amusing.
Leaping Lee Wrote:There are not numerous in the state better than Baker at the running back position. In the nation sure, but not in Kentucky.

You may be right. Kentucky isn't known for good running backs.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:You may be right. Kentucky isn't known for good running backs.
best one has got to be Shaun Alexander from Boone county right? Doesn't he still have the NFL record for td's in a season?
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:best one has got to be Shaun Alexander from Boone county right? Doesn't he still have the NFL record for td's in a season?

There have been very few, if any, running backs in the Commonwealth who could compare with Shaun Alexander. Alexander prepared well for the pros by playing for a bigtime college team. Those of today, at best, end up at UK. Playing for Alabama and playing for UK are two different worlds.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:There have been very few, if any, running backs in the Commonwealth who could compare with Shaun Alexander. Alexander prepared well for the pros by playing for a bigtime college team. Those of today, at best, end up at UK. Playing for Alabama and playing for UK are two different worlds.

Shaun Alexander was not only a top notch RB at all levels but he seems to be an even better individual. Not once did you ever see him without a huge smile on his face. You can probably answer this one better than I can. It may be folklore but rumor had it that he was interested in UK but they did not recruit him. Who was the moron at UK that passed up on him? It worked out best for him and am glad to say he was and continues to be a shining light for Kentucky High School sports.
DALE Wrote:Shaun Alexander was not only a top notch RB at all levels but he seems to be an even better individual. Not once did you ever see him without a huge smile on his face. You can probably answer this one better than I can. It may be folklore but rumor had it that he was interested in UK but they did not recruit him. Who was the moron at UK that passed up on him? It worked out best for him and am glad to say he was and continues to be a shining light for Kentucky High School sports.

I don't know Alexander but do know a number of his family. Apparently, there is some truth in your post. However, Alabama was clearly a fine choice to prepare him for the future. And, from all indications, he is a fine human being.
Sweet victory by GW! Congrats on the win!
Ashland will, I am certain, be fine by Central week. We look forward to it. As always. Is the game of the year on the JC calendar, annually.