Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Bowling!!! Best Ever from the Mountains?
How is everyone forgetting jason jacobs???I guess he was one of the most underated players in the mountains??
Johnny Fairplay Wrote:King Kelly Coleman- the best
Jim Rose- Played for Rupp and semi-pro
Johhny Cox
Richie Farmer
John Pelphrey
Todd May
Ervine Stepp
JR Vanhoose
Jeremy Hall

I would take these guys any day.

I agree in a heartbeat...All great players
konan Wrote:How is everyone forgetting jason jacobs???I guess he was one of the most underated players in the mountains??
Clyde Jacobs
Heres one more Jody Thompson from Feds Creek

This is kinda off topic but I would like to get everyone opinion on why is it that so many great players from eastern ky go to a big school for about a year or so then quit. For example : Jody Thompson @ UK for a yr., Jeremy Hall @ Wisc for yr., Todd May @ UK for yr and Wake Forest for yr, or players like Conley and Bowling went nowhere. Just like to hear ppl's thoughts on this.
already a thread lok for one called whats wrong with Ky boys
Ben Bowling was the best ever to play in the 14th period.
konan Wrote:How is everyone forgetting jason jacobs???I guess he was one of the most underated players in the mountains??

HAHAHA... i guess Double J was forgotten thru the sands of time... mid 90's at Knott Central was when he played right?
Subway Eater Wrote:Ben Bowling was the best ever to play in the 14th period.

You obviously haven't been around too long have you... or know much about mountain basketball and the 14th region...
PoppaBear Wrote:HAHAHA... i guess Double J was forgotten thru the sands of time... mid 90's at Knott Central was when he played right?
Yes i think it was i think he only made it through one year though. I cant believe none of these guys havent heard of the great double j
Here's a few players that haven't been mentioned:

Larry Stamper-Lee County. 6'8, played at UK, started his senior season.

Brian Kiser-Estill County. 6'5 guard. Saw plenty of playing time for Louisville.

Paul Smith-Owsley County, guard. Played for Mississippi St. in the mid sixties, and started his senior year.

Paul Andrews-Laurel County. Played for UK. Hero for Laurel in the state tournament.

Glen Combs-Carr Creek guard. Played in the NBA.

Herbie Stamper-Hindman and Knott County Central. Played at Morehead.

Glen Napier-MC Napier. Great shooter for Morehead.

Rodney Woods-Lone Jack. Big scorer for Tennessee. UK's Rupp always regretted not ecruiting him. He was a thorn in their side everytime they played.

Larry Noble-Breathitt County. Starred for Breathitt's '67 state semi-finalist and also for Austin-Peay.

There's others but I've run out of time....gotta go.
PoppaBear Wrote:You obviously haven't been around too long have you... or know much about mountain basketball and the 14th region...
Shows how much you know.
I just thought I would mention Grady Wallace, many feel he may be one of the best to ever come out of the Mountains.

From the Hearld Leader

Condolences

Grady Wallace, a Betsy Layne High School basketball legend who went on to establish scoring records at the University of South Carolina in 1957, died this month in South Carolina. He was 72.

Wallace was born on Mare Creek in Floyd County. He initially attended Pikeville College and then transferred to South Carolina. He holds the South Carolina records for career scoring average (28.0) and single-season scoring average (31.3). That average of 31.3 points enabled Wallace to beat out Wilt Chamberlain as the nation's leading scorer in 1956-57.

Wallace once held the school single-game scoring record of 54 points. He still holds four of the five highest single-game scoring totals.

There are green roadside signs alongside U.S. 23 in Betsy Layne that identify it as the home of Wallace. He was the first South Carolina player to have his jersey retired.

From the Gamecocks History page

#42 Grady Wallace 1955-57
Wallace, who wore 42, was the first South Carolina player to have his jersey number retired. Wallace averaged an amazing 28.0 points per game in his career and led the NCAA in 1957 with 31.3 points per tilt, edging out Kansas' Wilt Chamberlain. Wallace holds down four of the top six scoring games in school history, scoring 54 points vs. Georgia in his senior year.

Coach Odom reflects on Grady Wallace

Former Gamecock All-American, who led the nation in scoring in 1957, passed away Thursday.

Aug. 17, 2006

With the passing Thursday of one of South Carolina's true basketball legends, Grady Wallace, USC head coach Dave Odom issued a statement Thursday evening.

Statement from Dave Odom "Grady's passing leaves a tremendous void in Gamecock basketball history. The last couple of years I've had the chance to get to know him as a man - something I will always cherish. His accomplishments on the court were many, including leading the nation in scoring in 1957. Still, Grady will long be remembered by all his friends and the Gamecock faithful as a wonderful human being."

Wallace, a USC letterman from 1955-57, was named All-American in 1957 when he led the nation in scoring with 31.3 ppg. Highlights that season included him scoring 54 points at Georgia on Dec. 21, 1956 - second most in school history (only second to John Roche's 56 points vs. Furman on 2/4/71).

His No. 42 jersey was the first jersey to be retired at Carolina and he was a member of the South Carolina Hall of Fame (inducted in 1968).

He still holds the school record for career scoring average (28.0 ppg), single season average (31.3, 1957) and the second best mark for career rebound average (12.8 rpg). He also holds the single season school record for most points scored (906, 1957), most field goals made (336, 1957), most field goals attempted (803, 1957) and most free throws made (234, 1957).
Doc:

Thanks for that info, I have to say that I have heard the name Grady Wallace but I had no idea who he was. Sounds like he was a special player and you have sparked my interest with him.
Charles Thomas - Harlan
Nick Sanford - Cawood
Phil Cox - Cawood
Bruce Mitchell - Lynch
jason jacobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
There are too many good players from the mountains to say this gu is better or that guy is better. They played in different era's. Can't really compare against each other. What you can do is compare what they did after they graduated high school. I'll give you a few names from the 50's & 60's that were really good players. ( Don't like to use the word GREAT to describe players, that word is used way to much these days.)

Alvin Ratliff--Meade Memorial High School 1965--UK 1966--Delta State 1971, All America.
Donis Butcher--Meade Mem. 1958--Pikeville College--NBA Detroit Pistons & New York Knicks.
Charlie Osborne --Flat Gap 1957--Western Ky U. NBA Syracuse
Carroll Burchett--Flat Gap 1956--UK 57-60
Larry Conley--Ashland Tom Cats--1962--UK Member of 1966 Rupps Runts that were beaten by Texas Western In The Championship game.
Grady Wallace--Betsy Layne--1954--Pikeville College--South Carolina.
E.A. Couch--Carr Creek--1957 State Champs--UK one year, got married had to quit team.
Billy Ray Cassidy--Inez--UK
Pete Grigsby--McDowell --UK
There are many more players that went on to play on other levels, Div2, NAIA etc. Too many to mention. This is just a few I could think of off the top of my head.
know one remembers herb stamper maybe alot of people over look him because he played a while back but he holds a lot of records at knott and morehead
magic man Wrote:Jim Rose did not play for Rupp-He played at Western and along with Big Jim Mcdaniels defeated rupp in the NCAA tOURNAMENT

you're right, jim rose signed the day before he was supposed to go to UK and sign with rupp....later in his career he played adolf rupp's team...western won
ervin stepp Mr. Basketball

all those guys idk just look at stats on KHSAA!

OH LOL

I pick OJ mayo once he graduates.....i win in about what 5 months?
Well considering Mayo is from WV and not Kentucky I doubt you would win anything.

And Since Zeke from Cabin Creek is from WV, I doubt you would even win the WV prize
Doc Holliday Wrote:Well considering Mayo is from WV and not Kentucky I doubt you would win anything.

And Since Zeke from Cabin Creek is from WV, I doubt you would even win the WV prize
Actually Mayo lives in Ohio and attends school in West Virginia.
How could you forget Wallace "Wah Wah" Jones from Harlan? He was on a team that won a state title, played at UK and was one of the Fabuolus Five that won an Olympic Medal. He also started and excelled in football and baseball at UK, who in this group had done that?