Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's going on in Martin County?
region Wrote:Martin County has to build a new school or remodel one.

Priorities people!

No one is going to pay Coach Smith locally (Pike, Johnson, Floyd, Lawrence) what he is making in Martin Co.

Question is, do you coach for love of the game or just the money......

The question is not whether one coaches for love of the game or for money.

The question is whether one is being fairly compensated for the time and effort put forth in the position for which compensation is being given.

I don't understand how some can question the sincerity of others and the reasoning behind why they do what they do, when those questioning the loyalty and dedication would not accept less compensation for their efforts in their chosen profession.

It is easy to expect others to sacrifice when the sacrifice does not affect the one expecting the sacrifice. Some expect much more from others than they are willing to give themselves.
Can't believe people would pay these amounts of money to coaches. Colleges do this,but they have sponsors and t v pay. High schools depend on tax money for academics. I think Pike County coaches get 3500.00 and 10 extended days pay. Cheating our children is what it sounds like.
The statement of 26,000 cut was not all from coaching. Smith does not earn 20,000 from coaching. That amount included cuts he would lose from his extended days due to his teaching/administration job in addition to what he would lose from his coaching stipend. Besides who do you know that was an assistant at a D1 college, head coach at a D2 and accomplished what he has in the short time he has bn at SC? Come on man!!:rockon:
oliver67 Wrote:The statement of 26,000 cut was not all from coaching. Smith does not earn 20,000 from coaching. That amount included cuts he would lose from his extended days due to his teaching/administration job in addition to what he would lose from his coaching stipend. Besides who do you know that was an assistant at a D1 college, head coach at a D2 and accomplished what he has in the short time he has bn at SC? Come on man!!:rockon:

Not disputing what he has done,just saying high school coaching pay should be the same for all. The other jobs are usually just a title and nobody can do anything about that. Glad to hear he's not making $20,000.00 to coach.
The problem is, when you praise mediocrity, there’s no way to distinguish excellence and outstanding effort, over average participation. If losers get the same reward as winners, “What’s the point of challenging yourself to be a winner if the rewards are all the same? I guess you are one of those that believe that all should get a trophy for participating....and btw, that coach actually DOES those job titles he has daily....just ask the kids there at his school
Then go back to college and coach.

Coach Smith is a good coach, maybe the best in the 15th right now, but in no way is he worth an extra $20k a year.
Where I'm from administrators are not allowed to coach. And they shouldn't. If the job is done right they don't have time. It's too demanding. It's what pays the most. Some districts pay their coaches well....some don't. Some get compensated under the table. Politics play a huge roll in most hirings. Athletics is important but it should never take precedence over academics. It's getting out of hand.
Can you not read? Smith does not get paid an extra $20,000 to coach...:insane:
What exactly are his "duties" then?

Last I heard he did not have a Master's Degree nor did he have any administration papers.
Fromthebleachers Wrote:Where I'm from administrators are not allowed to coach. And they shouldn't. If the job is done right they don't have time. It's too demanding. It's what pays the most. Some districts pay their coaches well....some don't. Some get compensated under the table. Politics play a huge roll in most hirings. Athletics is important but it should never take precedence over academics. It's getting out of hand.

Agree 100%.
smiths job isnt even paid for by the school system. A grant from the state pays his salary. Smith deserves every penny he makes as do all our coaches. This day and time its becoming increasingly difficult to coach kids and they deserve all the money they get. Basketball and football are mostly year round too with all the training and summer work our coaches put in they earn their pay. A school cannot be successful without extracurricular activities and it looks like the new super dont like them too much. I reckon he illegal sent out pay cuts without board approval and none of the pay cuts took place. but i think the board has until june 14 to vote on the cuts and the way they operate im sure they will take all that time.
region Wrote:What exactly are his "duties" then?

Last I heard he did not have a Master's Degree nor did he have any administration papers.

If I remember correctly on the school's letterhead he is listed as the School Culture Director or Coordinator???
throw deep Wrote:If I remember correctly on the school's letterhead he is listed as the School Culture Director or Coordinator???

Wouldn't you love to see the description of duties for that job.