Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New coach at Shelby Valley???
DonaldDuck Wrote:I think it is hard to do much better considering that the only two passing plays out of their primary offense was called out by the defense before the play even started. I know that a lot of teams use the box being stacked as an excuse, but it got to the point where most teams were not playing a safety against this team. There may have been 3 to 4 different pass plays they ran all year. Just saying, it's kind of tuff when the defense knows exactly what you're doing and even lets you know before the ball is snapped.
Hey Donald, can you clowns give this a rest for a few days? Coach Stepp's Mom DIED suddenly Saturday. The funeral is tomorrow, then the Clown College can get back to work. :please:
Wildcat FB Parent Wrote::HitWall: You misunderstood. The first year Norman was there the team was awesome. The first season those who had assisted Saunders was allowed to have input and the boys knew the plays they were taught and played them The season was good because it was after that season that Norman decided to play coach. I repeat Stepp is a fantastic coach and has provided the team and community with dedication a coach should have. He is well respected and appreciate and has built back the community support Saunders had prior to Norman tearing it down. Yes, I hear there are a few parents with issues but most of the time we all know its a parent issue thinking their child should see more playing time etc. Again, IF Stepp leaves (which I would hate to see that happen) Valley would be lucky to have someone like Saunders to step in. As long as the next coach gets the support of the BOE, School and community that Stepp has had this team has a good looking future. The team has several guys that have potential and even more with dedication to the game. I wish them the best I enjoy seeing the team play as long as they don't ever have anyone back like Norman.

Say what you want Norman took that program to a new level. He was organized and demanding. Sounds like you have a personal issue. You can't name one thing he did that tore the team down or the community!
"Under Norman they would have lost to a grade school team because he demanded they play "his" plays. The boys could have coached themselves better. They knew football better than he but he was overly aggressive and threatening therefore they played as he said play and lost as he knew best how to do. My rant is over. Thanks and have a nice day."

Norman had been a very successful offensive coordinator before he came to SV and a successful head coach so why would he suddenly be so bad? You can't name anything specific and that is why you keep speaking in general statements. None of this is true![/B]
It doesnt matter if you run the ball or pass the ball if you dont have the players and the system to have a strong team.

I remember when Shelby Valley used to run the spread and pass every down..if I am not mistaken Belfry set a record with 8 INT's in a single game.

The problems at SV over the deacdes can be placed squarely on:
- Constant coaching turnover effecting the feeder system and teaching the basics
- Inability to recruit the best athletes to play football instead of basketball
- Administrative support to promote the football program over the basketball program from the feeder system up
- Weak scheduling... settling to play non-district games against lower tier programs

SV has had some nice teams over the year from a talent perspective but have never been able to sustain depth or have a dominant class of players who have played together and ran the same system for a long period of time.

There is no doubt in my mind at the very least SV could emulate the success Pike Central has had if they solved their internal issues and showed patience instead of recycling coaches every 3-4 years.

Probably the best thing SV could do is hire someone from outside the area with no political ties and then give him about 6 years of committed support and see what happens.
@Gator95 Please stop making our community and program look bad by posting your ignorance on this site. You have not played a down of football outside of little league and maybe even middle school ball at Virgie. You are clueless as to how to build a good program and you are clearly biased to your best friend Nick Wallace who plays wide out at valley. And your comment about the team having no good lineman is a joke and shows how little you know about football. Stick to the round ball baby!
The problem at valley is that it is to political to have a good football team and build a good program. And that fact that their are people in our community who think like Mr. gator95.
This is a complete rumor. Steppe is still there. I won't say that the program is a top program but he hasnt underacheived by no means. He has also been a good role model for our kids. You can bring in the best coach in the nation, but until you can get some of the athletes to play football then they will never put together a dominate team. Speed kills and unfortunately SV has some kids with big hoop dreams. SV football and basketball have to work together for the football team to go to the next level.
What is SV's base offense? And dont say RUNNING. What is their base formation?
they're a wing-t based offense.
coach stepp is a heck of a coach, he has demonstrated that he can run a passing offense or running offense depending on his personnel the Clay County people now know they made a bad mistake forcing him out for Chester.