Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Male 44 - St X 40 Final *Upset
Male advanced to 7-0 as they kneel it out
Wow...
Big win for the young Dogs.
Congrads Male on big win
Wow! Great win for Male!
Wow! When was the last time Male bear St X? Signature win for sure!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Not an upset according to the BGR rankings.
One of the Death Stars go down. Congrats to Male.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Not an upset according to the BGR rankings.

Lol anytime you beat an evil empire team it's an upset
BOOM, and a big one at that...Congrats to Male!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
:poker face:This is looking good so far...
Glad to see Male pick up the win tonight. They host Trinity next week. That game could be interesting.
ontopofthewest Wrote::poker face:This is looking good so far...

We need you to keep posting its obvious your good luck. Lol
Yes Trinity had a tough schedule but this is there worst year in 8 years and St CX isn't to hot either without Walker pounding the rock
Im not upset Male won

I don't think Trinity is running away with 6A this year
toussaints Wrote:Im not upset Male won

I don't think Trinity is running away with 6A this year

I agree it could very well be a competitive year in 6a (finally).
Would love to see a public school steal there thunder.::flame:
I picked this one and I did not considered it an upset.
TNT-MB1 Wrote:I agree it could very well be a competitive year in 6a (finally).
Would love to see a public school steal there thunder.::flame:

with the way Male and Scott County are playing so far, I think the streak ends
toussaints Wrote:with the way Male and Scott County are playing so far, I think the streak ends

That's all that matter to me!!!!
Wheres ole baylor big dog.
Im ready for you and Harry to keep telling me that Trinity and St.x Cant be touched this year......still waiting.
Don't have a dog in the fight but would love to see a public school in 6A win it.
Finally some teams stepping up the pressure on the two heavyweights St x and trinity
Don't forget the new 6a team. You guys are gonna be shocked.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Not an upset according to the BGR rankings.

All year, BGR has been bashed for its 6A rankings.
So far, they have been DEAD on!

Glad to see it finally proved. I wonder what the commoners will say this week...
Keion Wakefield caught a 27-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Davis Mattingly with 2:26 left in the game to give unbeaten Male a 44-40 football victory over St. Xavier in a Class 6-A, District Four thriller Friday night at St. X.

But the outcome wasn’t assured until Dieondre Coleman intercepted a St. X pass in the end zone and returned it to near midfield with a little more than a minute to play. It was the Bulldogs’ first victory over the Tigers since 2006 and boosted their record to 7-0 overall and 1-0 in district play.

“What a difference a year makes,” Male coach Chris Wolfe said after his team, which is No. 7 in The Courier-Journal’s Litkenhous Ratings, avenged 41-0 and 55-14 losses to the Tigers last year. “It was a great game. We didn’t quit and they didn’t quit.”

No. 12 St. X had carved out a 44-0 record against Louisville public school teams since 2006. This time the Tigers rallied from a 37-21 deficit before falling short.

Wakefield, a sophomore wide receiver, caught five passes for 197 yards. His game-winner came with 2:26 left, just 24 seconds after Jake Collins kicked a 45-yard field goal to put St. X (4-4, 0-2) ahead 40-37.

“Wakefield is a pretty special kid,” Wolfe said. “We tried that pass play in practice and it didn’t work, but the kids got together on their own after practice and worked on it. The last score was the only time we used it in the game. Mattingly was right on target on that last pass.”

Wakefield scored three touchdowns, the first one on a 94-yard pass from Mattingly on the first play from scrimmage. He also scored on a 73-yard punt return.

“Coach Wolfe had faith in us in calling that pass to me,” Wakefield said. “It means a lot to me that they had that much faith in me, because I’m just a sophomore.”

“Keion is very athletic and talented,” Mattingly said. “He’s got a good future ahead of him.”

Coleman clinched it with his intercepting of a B.J. Nagle pass.

St. X had rallied behind the running of Austin Davis, who gained 200 yards on 25 carries. He scored on a 12-yard run to make it 37-29 with 11:53 left in the game, and his 17-yard TD run and Taijoa Smith’s two-point conversion tied it at 37.

“I’m very proud of our effort,” St. X coach Will Wolford said. “We showed a lot of heart and courage. Male made more big plays than we did. They are very talented and they played hard.”

Male’s Marque Northington had five receptions for 43 yards. Ellis Cain led the Bulldogs’ rushers with 59 yards on 14 carries.

St. X’s Luke Hayden caught three passes for 107 yards, including an 80-yarder from Nagle that tied it at 21 with 7:20 left in the first half. Jonah White kicked a 31-yard field goal to give Male a 24-21 halftime edge.

Will Roshkowski caught five passes for 87 yards for the Tigers. Hayden grabbed three for 117 yard, including a 15-yard TD strike from Nagle that tied it at 7.