Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeSales 49 Shawnee 0
As he walked off the field with the game ball in hand, DeSales' Dylan Byrd couldn't help but be playful. Tossing the ball, a symbol of his record-breaking performance, back and forth between his hands, the senior running back almost let it slip out.

But he recovered, just as he and his teammates did earlier in the evening. The Colts overcame a sloppy start and sloppier conditions to wallop Shawnee 49-0 at Iroquois High School on Friday night.

Byrd, who started the scoring with a 34-yard punt return in the second quarter, ran 20 times for 236 yards and three rushing touchdowns. On his last carry, a 17-yard run late in the fourth quarter, he became the school's all-time leading rusher with 2,988 yards, breaking the four-year-old mark held by Andrew Beeler (2,983).

At first, Byrd felt it might not be a record-breaking night for him, as a downpour began immediately after the kickoff.

"It's unbelievably exciting," he said. "I feel great that I did it. The (offensive) line was pushing for me to get it. But the rain was killing my mood."

It did not seem promising for either team early on. DeSales lost a fumble near midfield and turned the ball over on downs deep in Golden Eagles territory twice in the first half. It wasn't until Shawnee had to punt out of its end zone that DeSales finally capitalized. Byrd fielded the short punt at the 34, turned to his right and darted to the end zone.

Byrd added two rushing scores in the final 5:40 of the first half to put the Colts up 21-0 at halftime.

"When he touches it, he can score," DeSales coach Harold Davis said. "He's difficult to defend."

Davis said he was pleased with the way his team played defensively, but he still left with some concerns. Most notably, the Colts committed five penalties, including three negating long runs by Byrd and quarterback Nathan Roush.

"We still have some areas we need to focus on," he said.

As the Colts (5-0, 2-0 Class 2A, District Four) found ways to recover from their sluggish start, the Golden Eagles could not. They finished with only one net yard, thanks to losing 68 yards trying to run the ball. Most of those lost yards occurred on bad snaps. Shawnee (2-3, 0-2) fumbled the ball six times, losing it twice. But on one of their recoveries, they lost starting quarterback Cody Harral, who hurt his hand trying to recover a loose ball.

"It was a big factor," Shawnee coach Jason Benning-Wyatt said, referring to the rain. "We couldn't get the snaps from center, and it just kind of fell apart from there."

Shawnee 0 0 0 0 - 0
DeSales 0 21 28 0 - 49

DeSales - Dylan Byrd 34 punt return (Cameron Brothers kick); DeSales - Byrd 15 run (Brothers kick); DeSales - Byrd 21 run (Brothers kick); DeSales - Nathan Roush 7 run (Brothers kick); DeSales - Bryant Pirtle 12 run (Brothers kick); DeSales - Byrd 15 run (Brothers kick); DeSales - Logan McDonough 12 fumble return (Brothers kick).

S D
Total yards 1 327
First downs 4 13
Rushes-yds. 26-(-68) 34-315
Comp-Att-Int 4-11-3 1-3-0
Passing yards 69 12
Fumbles-lost 6-2 1-1
Penalties-yds. 2-10 5-50
Punts-avg. 5-28 1-28

http://lms.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...awnee-49-0
From what I have seen of DeSales HS they are a machine...the team that wins state will come from that District.