Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hot Seat
In preseason a poll was started to show which coach we all thought was under the most pressure to win. Now that week 3 is getting ready to start, are any of the coaches mentioned on the "hot seat"? Are there any additions to this group?
I would have to think that Randy Wyatt of Paducah Tilghman has to be one. First off, the Tornado have now lost to their biggest rival Mayfield for 8 straight years. That is a very big game to the people that mean anything in these programs. Secondly, they just survived McCracken Co (as did we). That is not the issue. The issue that comes about is the fact that now, he is talking about not continuing their rivalry (albeit one sided currently) past next year which is the end of the contract. It tends to make one think that he knows the numbers game will catch up with him soon and he doesn't want to take a loss against them. There is also the problems with lack of discipline over the recent past with his team. They lost to Graves County last year as a result of that lack of discipline and probably lost other game for that reason. They had an all out brawl against Caldwell Co in a 7 on 7 game this year and had another fight in the first game of the season against McCracken that cost them their big running back for 2 games. I just don't see how he could come out of this one on the right side. I don't have anything personal against the man, I think he probably knows a lot about the game and I know he works well with kids in track. I just think maybe they need someone to control the kids to make better decisions and get that program going in the right direction. I see this team year in and year out. They always have so much talent on the team that it is almost unbelievable. I just cant understand how they cannot be more competitive in 3a. They should be able to win all the way up to 5a with the kind of talent they have. This year I think they have 3 kids that are getting attention from d1 schools and a bunch of others that will get scholarships from smaller schools.
Before anyone starts talking about replacing coaches, you better look at the shape of your program. Does your coach have what your opposition has? If they don't, no need to hire someone else, the result wont change.
^ Exactly. It's amazing how so many want to see so little. Programs fail for a lot more reasons than the coach, but 3 weeks in, everyone wants to throw the coach under the bus....
way to early for this kind of chatter
Rockcastle coach should be, program has been in decline and lots of problems from what I hear.
Clay County coach should be, 0-3 so far this year, staph infection break out because they refused to wash the practice uniforms for lack of good practices, and outscored 96-6 so far. To much underachieving from this bunch. Clean House.
^Last time I checked coaches aren't responsible for the dirty laundry.

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've heard on BGR.
Perry Centrals Haddix dont put some wins together soon, they are going to move him to baseball and place Bobby Keith Dixon as Head Coach in Football. I look for Haddix to muster up some wins soon.
I thought it was the Mayfield football boosters sneaking around at night and put a for sale sign in Joe Morris's front lawn a few years ago.

Short memories are especially prevalent at Mayfield.

Gotta luv those new pickup trucks.
I cant say I know who is responsible for whatever things that go on inside a football locker room, but I can say that the spotlight is on the head coach. When something like this happens the heat will be applied to him. If he isn't responsible he knows who is and if he didn't do anything about nasty infected uniforms, he is as bad as the person who didn't do their job. If the coach isn't looking out for the players who is?
Trucker Wrote:Clay County coach should be, 0-3 so far this year, staph infection break out because they refused to wash the practice uniforms for lack of good practices, and outscored 96-6 so far. Too much underachieving from this bunch. Clean House.

Leonidas Wrote:^Last time I checked coaches aren't responsible for the dirty laundry.

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've heard on BGR.
talk about airing your dirty laundry:biglmao:
You have to understand that in our county everyone likes to put some one down when ever they get a chance. Our Tigers have a tough schedule with a very inexperienced team. The players are working their guts out and so are the coaches. They have 47 players on the varsity, 60 on the middle school team and around 60 6th graders. The future looks bright. Axes to grind. This isn't Topix, but everyone knows who u r. Harlan Co. at Harlan, North Laurels best team ever, Perry at Perry. Yes, their clothes are being washed.
Trucker Wrote:Clay County coach should be, 0-3 so far this year, staph infection break out because they refused to wash the practice uniforms for lack of good practices, and outscored 96-6 so far. To much underachieving from this bunch. Clean House.

:dudecomeon: clay county has play 3 good teams north laurel,harlan county and perry county central.maybe you need to help them wash uniforms after the game.an stop crying :Sad04: :Sad04: :Sad04:
I thought moms were supposed to wash the clothes for their kids. Mine did.
School Admin. Wrote:Before anyone starts talking about replacing coaches, you better look at the shape of your program. Does your coach have what your opposition has? If they don't, no need to hire someone else, the result wont change.

Just a simple question! If people are going to get upset over the question then why have a poll in the beginning of the season to put initial pressure on a coach and staff? :HitWall:
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Just a simple question! If people are going to get upset over the question then why have a poll in the beginning of the season to put initial pressure on a coach and staff? :HitWall:

I wasn't upset, I was merely telling the truth. Go back over the last 10 years and pick out the programs in this State with the most losses and I will guarantee one common thing among all of them, multiple coaching changes. It amazes me how many people really don't understand what it takes to make a program into a winner. Its the administration, not the coach! Look at the successful programs in Kentucky, then look at yours. Ask yourself this question; Do we have what they have? If the answer is no, don't blame the coach, go get the guy in charge and demand better for your kids.
School Admin. Wrote:I wasn't upset, I was merely telling the truth. Go back over the last 10 years and pick out the programs in this State with the most losses and I will guarantee one common thing among all of them, [B]STINKY UNIFORMS[/B]

Was kind of hoping you'd say this in light of other comments in this thread
School Admin. Wrote:I wasn't upset, I was merely telling the truth. Go back over the last 10 years and pick out the programs in this State with the most losses and I will guarantee one common thing among all of them, multiple coaching changes. It amazes me how many people really don't understand what it takes to make a program into a winner. Its the administration, not the coach! Look at the successful programs in Kentucky, then look at yours. Ask yourself this question; Do we have what they have? If the answer is no, don't blame the coach, go get the guy in charge and demand better for your kids.

You are spot on,if the administration does not care. Nick Saban could not win there. You would think that administration would want to hire the best available person for the position for what ever extracurricular activity it was, but this not the case most of the time.
In our case, Clay County, the administration hired a state champion coach, Kenny Roark. He was fired after one year, which was a terrible season. I believe he should have been given more of a chance and people should have gotten behind him more. But, you cant get people behind you here in Clay. We have promising young talent with no one teaching them the game. How many schools can you tell me that has kept a coach around for 20 years that has never won a district championship or playoff game?
Trucker Wrote:In our case, Clay County, the administration hired a state champion coach, Kenny Roark. He was fired after one year, which was a terrible season. I believe he should have been given more of a chance and people should have gotten behind him more. But, you cant get people behind you here in Clay. We have promising young talent with no one teaching them the game. How many schools can you tell me that has kept a coach around for 20 years that has never won a district championship or playoff game?
You have made it quite obvious that you are saying these things just to stir things up. Coach Roark died. No one on staff has been coaching for 20 yrs. except Coach Napier and he was on every staff that won a District championship. Man, give it up, the poor guy died. Jesus!!
School Admin. Wrote:I wasn't upset, I was merely telling the truth. Go back over the last 10 years and pick out the programs in this State with the most losses and I will guarantee one common thing among all of them, multiple coaching changes. It amazes me how many people really don't understand what it takes to make a program into a winner. Its the administration, not the coach! Look at the successful programs in Kentucky, then look at yours. Ask yourself this question; Do we have what they have? If the answer is no, don't blame the coach, go get the guy in charge and demand better for your kids.

I've said the exact same thing (at McCreary Central) for years. The administration does not want to stand up and make sure the Coaches have what they need to be successful. When a Team don't win go get the Coach. Leave these guys alone and let them Coach, God knows a one of them is getting Rich.:redboxer:
You are right Kenny passed away before the season came back around, but other coaches were telling kids that he wasn't right for them. Starting drama amongist the team. All I am saying is Kenny was 1-10 his first season with a resume that was incredible. Aaron Stepp was 0-10 his first season and two years later he went 8-3. Kenny deserved more support.
Cellking Wrote:I've said the exact same thing (at McCreary Central) for years. The administration does not want to stand up and make sure the Coaches have what they need to be successful. When a Team don't win go get the Coach. Leave these guys alone and let them Coach, God knows a one of them is getting Rich.:redboxer:

Here's the problem I have with McCreary Central... what exactly is the administration focusing on?

It's not like McCreary is noted for their academic prowess... there also is not a single sport I honestly recall McCreary being a powerhouse in or having a history of success.

Typically when football is not being supported it's because the administration is trying to focus on another aspect or empower someone else.
Trucker Wrote:You are right Kenny passed away before the season came back around, but other coaches were telling kids that he wasn't right for them. Starting drama amongist the team. All I am saying is Kenny was 1-10 his first season with a resume that was incredible. Aaron Stepp was 0-10 his first season and two years later he went 8-3. Kenny deserved more support.

I agree with you on that trucker Kenny deserved more support :Thumbs:
While facilities play into it, the coach is still the most important part of a high school football program, and a hire (or a fire) makes a huge difference. Dynasties are built with coaches and collapse when those coaches are gone. (If you don't believe that, look how long it took Bell County and Rockcastle County to start crumbling when Hilton and Larkey moved on.) Nothing changed at Johnson Central except the coach in 2004. We played on the same old field. The middle school team continued to play its normal schedule. But Jim Matney replaced Bill Tom Ross. Suddenly, that same bunch of kids went from 1-9 to 7-3. We did not have talented transfers parachute in from the sky before the season. But somehow we went from winning 5 games in 3 seasons to playing for district championships and even a state semifinal - within 3 seasons. So if you think hiring the right man for the job isn't the biggest decision a program can make, I would argue the contrary. Facilities and feeder systems and administrators can't help you win if you don't have the right guy in charge.
Dudley and Larkey both left because the administration support was not jwhat it once was. FACT
Diogenes Wrote:While facilities play into it, the coach is still the most important part of a high school football program, and a hire (or a fire) makes a huge difference. Dynasties are built with coaches and collapse when those coaches are gone. (If you don't believe that, look how long it took Bell County and Rockcastle County to start crumbling when Hilton and Larkey moved on.) Nothing changed at Johnson Central except the coach in 2004. We played on the same old field. The middle school team continued to play its normal schedule. But Jim Matney replaced Bill Tom Ross. Suddenly, that same bunch of kids went from 1-9 to 7-3. We did not have talented transfers parachute in from the sky before the season. But somehow we went from winning 5 games in 3 seasons to playing for district championships and even a state semifinal - within 3 seasons. So if you think hiring the right man for the job isn't the biggest decision a program can make, I would argue the contrary. Facilities and feeder systems and administrators can't help you win if you don't have the right guy in charge.
I would only add that before Matney stopped the 3-year skid, JC had gone 10-0 in the regular season during Bill Musick's final season, before losing in the playoffs to Tates Creek, which it had beaten earlier in the year. There are no more important factors in building a good program than hiring the right man to the head coaching position and being patient enough to let him do his work.