Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay 21 Bell 20 (Scrimmage)
Final.
Clays Varsity outscored Bell 13-6.
Final with JV was 21-20

I said Bell would be very vulnerable and it seems it showed tonight, even if it was a scrimmage. Could be a long year for Bell.
I thought our offense showed signs of being good. We have to do something on def. We will get better with every snap.

2 questions, Why did we get the ball at the beginningof both halves.?

What was Clay doing with 1:45 to go in the half ball on the 15 going in and never called a play. Ran 1 play and called timeout with 1 second and tried a FG? Not that I am complaining but I don't understand.

Big task ahead for next week. Those I talked to tonight said South Pitt. was outstanding.
WhyLie Wrote:I thought our offense showed signs of being good. We have to do something on def. We will get better with every snap.

2 questions, Why did we get the ball at the beginningof both halves.?

What was Clay doing with 1:45 to go in the half ball on the 15 going in and never called a play. Ran 1 play and called timeout with 1 second and tried a FG? Not that I am complaining but I don't understand.

Big task ahead for next week. Those I talked to tonight said South Pitt. was outstanding.

Most likely, they were trying to get there kicker a game type kick.
Its a smart thing to do in a scrimmage.
Kickers have very little game speed attempts before the season starts
I thought that...but...it was not live. they all just stood there. Not game situation.
Dang imagine that?? Bell lost another scrimmage. What are they? 4-52 all-time in scrimmages? Seems like the last 2 years Harlan ind beat or played us to a draw?
Harlan Ind. never beat us or tied. We won 20-0 . I see where you are going, it doesn't mean anything, but SP will be a lot better than Clay.
Tigers sending notice that they are for real.
Scrimmages are scrimmages..... Bell will be a factor..but it is pretty clear the Bobcats will require quite a bit more development this season than they are accustomed to and their schedule is unforgiving.
A Scrimmage is Practice. Don't get too caught up in what happens. Bell will be fine, Wayne will go home and work on what the Scrimmage showed him to work on. Bell is still Bell. Nice showing for Coach Napier, now he has something to build on. Good Luck to Both Teams in upcoming season.
IMO, Clay and Bell are both in trouble. That could have possibly been the worst showing by a Bell County team in 20 years. Scrimmage or not, tackling is tackling. As for Clay, that was a big deal to them beating Bell, but that's not what people expect when they hear Bell County.
On the bright side Carr looked good, broke a few good runs on determination alone. And, #5 playing QB for Clays JV moved good and made some big plays outside the pocket... looked as if he should have been playing the varsity spot.
Cant say much for Bell as they were not wearing numbers.
Back to the drawing board for the bobcats!! I would say practice will be fun on log mountain next week.

Good job Clay! I hope they did not over react??
TopCat Wrote:Dang imagine that?? Bell lost another scrimmage. What are they? 4-52 all-time in scrimmages? Seems like the last 2 years Harlan ind beat or played us to a draw?

I think the tie was actually the last time bell scrimmaged clay?? Could be wrong.
WhyLie Wrote:I thought that...but...it was not live. they all just stood there. Not game situation.

I stand corrected. That doesnt make sense.
William Muney Wrote:I think the tie was actually the last time bell scrimmaged clay?? Could be wrong.

In 2010, I believe the varsity squads tied the first half, 17-17 or something along those lines. That was one of the better Tiger teams.
As usual bell fans whining its a scrimmage, if bell is as good as all you people say they are scrimmage or no scrimmage it should be somewhat lopsided. Of course if Middlesboro loses a scrimmage or struggles all the bell fans will treat Middlesboro like they should be in mid season form. Face it bell will be down this year it happens, bell is no exception to the rule
Gut, since you are a Whitley guy, how do you think we will handle the bobcats this year?
tazcat Wrote:As usual bell fans whining its a scrimmage, if bell is as good as all you people say they are scrimmage or no scrimmage it should be somewhat lopsided. Of course if Middlesboro loses a scrimmage or struggles all the bell fans will treat Middlesboro like they should be in mid season form. Face it bell will be down this year it happens, bell is no exception to the rule

Been away for a while, and it's good to be back TongueirateSho

tazcat, I've saw you enjoy to take all kinds of unnecessary and uncalled for shots at Bell for no apparent reason on every Bell board, what's wrong, have we stomped your team? Have we got attention your team doesn't get or deserve? Must be something. And the good folks of Bell County saying it's just a scrimmage, well, they're right. It's just a scrimmage. Bell County normally doesn't show up with that fight and leave it all out there mentality or even try that hard in scrimmages, Historically, our JV has put up more points then our varsity in scrimmages, it's really not that big of a deal. Is anyone crazy enough to believe we're gonna do much of anything other than basic vanilla plays? The point of a scrimmage isn't to come out and stomp and dismantle someone, it's to get your kids used to contact at game speed, try to get them into a little bit of an in game feel instead of 7 on 7 and hitting each other. With all that being said, I'll concede a little, I'm not terribly excited about this years team to say the least, no where near the excitement around this bunch as the past 7 years. Don't sleep on them though. This team is capable of over achieving and being really good, but I think across most of Bell County, me, and everyone else realize this is a rebuild year. It's a chance for Mills to start adding in some new wrinkles to the offense instead of playing it safe and doing what we know we can do and succeed at, because this year we truly don't know what we're good at and what will or wont work. We've got a pretty good QB, we've got some good athletes at skill positions, we've got a couple of young backs who look real good and we have an undersized, but quick defense. We'll be able to make some things happen. As I said though, this year is going to be vulnerable and give us a chance to maybe fly under the radar and work on a few new things, but next year, and going forward, I'd say look out because once this young bunch gets the experience under their belt and gets bigger and stronger, could be some scary teams coming up in the near future!
Bell Co has been the "Gold Standard" for several years, they are well coached and always present teams a tough game. I have noticed over the years more often than not Bell does not appear too overwhelming in scrimmages. There are exceptions but generally they are going through the motions. I expect Bell to be a Mt. Top 10 ten again and nobody will be surprised when they are.

Nothing here to get too worked up about.....
Tazcat acts like a scorned former bobcat? Maybe 1 that could not cut the mustard in 1 way or another?

Bell is very young and smaller than the typically are. Not sure what they were doing on defense the other night running a 3-4. Does anyone know if that is what they have in the plans? They maybe changing philosophy due to their lack of size??
I guess everyone will know friday. Did anyone else notice that Bell 2nd team ran Bone and 60 def. Looked very good with it. Safe bet that Mills will stay safe more than not.
Colonelstrong20 Wrote:Gut, since you are a Whitley guy, how do you think we will handle the bobcats this year?

Whitley should be the favorites against Bell this year but the Colonels have plenty to prove.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Whitley should be the favorites against Bell this year but the Colonels have plenty to prove.

Long way off. They have been the favorites before.
^
I dont understand what your saying.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I dont understand what your saying.

That is a long way off. Whitley has a lot to prove. They have been the favorites before. Bell has just as much returning as Whitley does.
Amped 88 Wrote:That is a long way off. Whitley has a lot to prove. They have been the favorites before. Bell has just as much returning as Whitley does.

Isnt that exactly what i said?
My exact words were "Whitley should be the favorites this year but they still have plenty to prove".

That means, Whitley should be the favorites, and they are, but until they prove it, they have no room to talk.

Are we already getting a little edgy? The Clay scrimmage has somebody worried.

And i cant recall the last time Whitley was the favorites against Bell. Could you please explain when that was. It would have to be all the way back when i was in high school and we waxed bell.
Trucker Wrote:IMO, Clay and Bell are both in trouble. That could have possibly been the worst showing by a Bell County team in 20 years. Scrimmage or not, tackling is tackling. As for Clay, that was a big deal to them beating Bell, but that's not what people expect when they hear Bell County.
On the bright side Carr looked good, broke a few good runs on determination alone. And, #5 playing QB for Clays JV moved good and made some big plays outside the pocket... looked as if he should have been playing the varsity spot.
Cant say much for Bell as they were not wearing numbers.
#5 is a freshman (Will Sexton). He had a big interception that led to Carr TD. Carr is fast and make sharp cuts in the open field. Clay is making improvments.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Isnt that exactly what i said?
My exact words were "Whitley should be the favorites this year but they still have plenty to prove".

That means, Whitley should be the favorites, and they are, but until they prove it, they have no room to talk.

Are we already getting a little edgy? The Clay scrimmage has somebody worried.

And i cant recall the last time Whitley was the favorites against Bell. Could you please explain when that was. It would have to be all the way back when i was in high school and we waxed bell.

I think it may have been 07 or 08 Whitley was favored by a lot of people, and last year was kind of a toss up in my mind who should have been favored. I firmly believe Whitley should be favored this year though, I won't root for them vs Bell, but I respect the Whitley program and the fight the kids in the program always show. Both teams have alot of questions to answer and a lot to prove so who is or isn't favorite coming in doesn't always matter that much.