Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seniors in 13th region
Which teams will lose the most after this season in regards to graduating seniors. Referencing the KHSAA rosters, which should be accurate this time of year, here is who everyone is losing:

South Laurel- losing Abner and Sears will be a big loss for SL and in my opinion, will bring them within reasonable reach of other top teams in the region.
Abner OF
Barnett P
Moore P, C, OF
Sears P, INF
Slavey P, INF, OF

Middlesboro- Even if its only 1 senior, losing Hale will hurt. He has been rock solid and the MVP for the Jackets.
Hale SS, P

Harlan County- Honestly, I think HC might lose the most. These guys having been starting for about 5 years now. There were big expectations for these guys when they started high school. It will be interesting to see if they can deliver a regional championship.
Boggs
Bond
Dozier
Massengill

Clay County- They may only lose two, but they are essential players. Carnahan is by far their most complete hitter. White bats leadoff if that tells you anything.
Carnahan S, 3B, P
White OF

Corbin- Everyone talks about Corbin being young and they are. But, they do have quite a bit of seniors on this team.
Brown OF, P
Burton INF
Farley INF
Metzger OF, P
Terry INF, P

Knox Central
Bingham INF
Broughton OF
Puckett OF

North Laurel- Like Middlesboro, even when you are only losing 1 player, it can hurt quite a bit.
Carson

Whitley County
Jackson 2b, P
Rose 3B, P (Best Player)

Bell County- None. However, Cox will not be available next year due to having Tommy John Surgery in June.

Williamsburg- When you don't have much in the first place, losing your best players makes things even worse.
Purdie 3B, SS, C
Sawyers OF
Teague 3B, P, C

Also, which of these guys will win 13th region POY?
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Which teams will lose the most after this season in regards to graduating seniors. Referencing the KHSAA rosters, which should be accurate this time of year, here is who everyone is losing:

South Laurel- losing Abner and Sears will be a big loss for SL and in my opinion, will bring them within reasonable reach of other top teams in the region.
Abner OF
Barnett P
Moore P, C, OF
Sears P, INF
Slavey P, INF, OF

Middlesboro- Even if its only 1 senior, losing Hale will hurt. He has been rock solid and the MVP for the Jackets.
Hale SS, P

Harlan County- Honestly, I think HC might lose the most. These guys having been starting for about 5 years now. There were big expectations for these guys when they started high school. It will be interesting to see if they can deliver a regional championship.
Boggs
Bond
Dozier
Massengill

Clay County- They may only lose two, but they are essential players. Carnahan is by far their most complete hitter. White bats leadoff if that tells you anything.
Carnahan S, 3B, P
White OF

Corbin- Everyone talks about Corbin being young and they are. But, they do have quite a bit of seniors on this team.
Brown OF, P
Burton INF
Farley INF
Metzger OF, P
Terry INF, P

Knox Central
Bingham INF
Broughton OF
Puckett OF

North Laurel- Like Middlesboro, even when you are only losing 1 player, it can hurt quite a bit.
Carson

Whitley County
Jackson 2b, P
Rose 3B, P (Best Player)

Bell County- None. However, Cox will not be available next year due to having Tommy John Surgery in June.

Williamsburg- When you don't have much in the first place, losing your best players makes things even worse.
Purdie 3B, SS, C
Sawyers OF
Teague 3B, P, C

Also, which of these guys will win 13th region POY?
HC loses 3 quality starters, 1 who has been the best all around player at HC each of the past 4 years! (Tyler Boggs) They also have 5 quality Juniors that will provide HC with a solid core of Seniors next year.. These two back to back groups have had a lot of success since their 10 yr old all star years..
Good research MHS.
I like to see someone putting in the effort and doing research.

Every year it seems teams only lose one or two, but its there best.
Theres a big difference in a frosh and senior in baseball just like there is in football.
Excellent research there MHS (come on HDE, give him his props on this one). And I think you hit the nail on the head about South, Sears and Abner are huge losses, and Slavey and Moore are both solid starters. Their jv or middle school teams are not good, so I don't know where the complimentary players for Neal, Gaines, Allen, etc. will come from.
And losing one player can really kill you. North looked lost without Carson at Bell Co., and I'm sure Hale will be a huge hole to fill at Middlesboro. With all due respect to Hale, Boggs and Sears, who IMO are the other three best seniors, Carson has to be the POY. He is a legitimate D-1 signee, (and barring injury I don't see how he doesn't crack UK's lineup next year after watching them play a few times), a five-year starter who has some power (five homers this year), hits for average (well over .400, currently on a nine straight hit streak), is by far the fastest kid anywhere in this area, and is the best defensive high school outfielder I have ever seen. And he just shows up and plays, not a diva at all, which scores big points with me.
I understand everybody leans toward the guy they see every day, and I am certainly not discounting the ability of those other guys I mentiioned, they are great high school players. I just think Carson is a once in 25 years type of guy.
I appreciate the praise on the research.

Carson will probably win POY due to his stats, abilities, and notoriety. I too think Sears, Boggs, and Hale round out those in contention.

Neal is really a special talent for SL but like you said, he won't have near as complete as team to help him.

Who knows what will happen at SS for Middlesboro next year. Perhaps another transfer will come knocking on our door. lol. Probably not though.

It will be most interesting to me to see what HC acts like when Boggs is gone. Will they still have moxy or will it be gone. Honestly, even though they have some talented juniors. I think there will be a major drop off with the loss of their seniors.
Carson is a great player. He will be an excellent addition at UK who is already loaded with a lot of young talent. He is definitely a game changer and hard to make a case against POY. Sears at South has been a steady performer for 4 years and now that he is healthy is having his best year ever. Hitting the ball for power 4 HRS as well as one of tops on the team in Dbls triples and avg. make agood case for him. Not to mention his steady defensive play and the improved arm stenghth now he is over his injury. He has been almost lights out on the mound this year. He has not given up a run in 13th region play,0.00 ERA and opponents batting avg. are 1.00 or less. Just saying he is a legit contender.
Van Hagar Wrote:Excellent research there MHS (come on HDE, give him his props on this one).

It was very thorough and professional.
I thought I wrote it for a second Smile

I like the JV/middle references from Hagar. I follow that in basketball but not as much in baseball. As far as HCHS is concerned, which I do follow on the middle school level, the current senior class (Boggs, Bond and Dozier) is from a real strong Cawood middle school team. The junior class (Bailey, Leisge, Jenkins, Rutherford, Cornett) is from the real strong Cumberland team that finished either first or second in the middle school regional as eighth graders.

I'll probably wait until I see the regional tourney before adding my thoughts on 2014.
HDE Wrote:It was very thorough and professional.
I thought I wrote it for a second Smile

I like the JV/middle references from Hagar. I follow that in basketball but not as much in baseball. As far as HCHS is concerned, which I do follow on the middle school level, the current senior class (Boggs, Bond and Dozier) is from a real strong Cawood middle school team. The junior class (Bailey, Leisge, Jenkins, Rutherford, Cornett) is from the real strong Cumberland team that finished either first or second in the middle school regional as eighth graders.

I'll probably wait until I see the regional tourney before adding my thoughts on 2014.

They finished runner up in the region as 7th graders, and for some reason those in charge over the conference wouldn't let them participate in the conference their 8th grade year.
South losing Abner and Sears which are two key components for their team. Good thing for them is that they have a ton of sophomores that will be able to carry the load.

Hale for M'Boro will also leave a nice void but shouldn't be too big of a hole to fill.

Harlan really loses a ton, Boggs seems to be the biggest loss as he is their best P and C. Their staff takes a big hit losing Boggs and Bond, they will have to depend on Leisge to really carry them. Really helps that they return Bailey, kid will be a monster next year as he is already extremely good right now. Boggs batting .353, Bond at .284 and Dozier at .275.

Clay losing Carnahan and White are also big losses but they should have 2 people to step I'm and play. Pitching will be fine next year as they don't lose anything, but will be losing 2 key guys in the lineup. Carnahan batting .402 and White batting .468.

Corbin might be young but lose some key guys. I don't think they would be real contenders next year.

Knox might lose the least of these teams, and could very well be considered the second best team next year. The three seniors they lose aren't key parts to this years team from what I can tell.

North might only lose 1 guy, but he just so happens to be the best senior this year hands down. Carson is one of the most complete players this region has ever seen. They have a ton coming back but no one will be able to fill his shoes in center field.

Whitley, Bell and Williamsburg aren't really contenders and I don't know much about them.

Could only find stats for Harlan and Clay.