Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bridge named after Trooper
DWALE - On Friday, the unveiling of the signs naming a bridge on U.S. 23 at Dwale for Trooper Jerome "Butch" Clifton was held at the Woodmen of the World building.

Trooper Butch Clifton was shot in 1980 while in pursuit of an armed suspect. He passed away two weeks later after fighting to recover from his injuries.

Roger Webb, Roger Nelson, members of the Kentucky State Police, family members and many others provided for a large turnout. Lt. Col. West with the KSP led the ceremony that first began with a prayer for Trooper Butch Clifton and his family.

Lt. Col. West said, "This is a bittersweet day." Also, he spoke of the many sacrifices that officers make every day while in the line of duty and how these signs remind us of this.

Many KSP officers were present at the ceremony to show their support for the family.

Lisa Clifton, one of Trooper Butch Clifton's daughters, said, "It is wonderful to have my father honored in this way. The turnout was larger than I expected, but it is nice to see how many people still support our family."

"We swear to protect and serve our state, and that is what Butch Clifton was doing on that day," West said. "He sacrificed his life for the sake of others who were in danger. The loss is felt very deeply."

This roadway is being named as a result of the passage of Senate Bill 18 by the 2002 Kentucky General Assembly and was signed into law on March 20, 2002.

http://floydcountytimes.com/articles/200...news03.txt
This is a great thing to do!
Welcome to the best site in town! If you need anything, just let me know.
I agree, that is a great thing.
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
I seen it yesterday while I was driving over to Arkansas Creek, It think it was a great idea !
KSP do not get paid much eather. This is a good tribute for us to remember him.