Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Ballard wins 7th Region WITHOUT Transfers!
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I agree. And you never hear it mentioned very much. But some people will take a few transfers in Eastern Kentucky a blow it completely out of proportion. The advantage the Louisville schools have over Eastern Kentucky when it comes to moving kids into their systems is huge. They just do it a little more earlier than high school.

No, you don't hear it mentioned very much at all.

To be honest, I didn't know exactly what open enrollment was until a couple years ago.

How long has Jefferson County had an open enrollment policy?
Leonidas Wrote:No, you don't hear it mentioned very much at all.

To be honest, I didn't know exactly what open enrollment was until a couple years ago.

How long has Jefferson County had an open enrollment policy?

I'm not sure how long they've had open enrollment. I know it at least dates back to the early 1990's.
Its pretty scary to see some of you saying that the Jefferson County open enrollment policy is the same, or possibly worse, then the Eastern KY transfer problem. Notice how many post on this site have to do with this issue. There are actually many rules against recruiting players while they are in middle school in Jefferson County. Its a big deal, because, there are always some random rumors of people hearing about High schoo coaches attending these games. The parents and administrators at the major middle schools are on top of this. How tough are these rules enforced? Probably much tougher than anything in Eastern KY, which is sad since it is middle school athletics. People dont turn a blind eye like in the 14th region...

Comparing Eastern KY transfers to Jefferson County's open enollment policy is comparing apples to oranges. Like I said, you must sit out a year in Jeff. County. Eastern KY schools go around the rules, complain to their judges, and then justify it by saying " Oh well everyone does it. Look at all the big city schools, they do it and win!" .....No, you folks in the 14 and 15th regions are the ones who do it because, unfortunately, high school basketball rules over common sense in your part of the state. How about everyone starts playing by the rules?
masiello Wrote:Maybe it is only a problem in the 14th and 15th regions.

I think you guys are the one who should do the research. There is a reason Quentin Snider played for Fern Creek his 8th grade year instead of Ballard. Its because the Jefferson County rules at the time stated that you could only play for your "neighborhood" high school as an 8th grader. Since Quentin DID NOT attend Kammerer Middle, he couldnt play for Ballard. He could only "play up" for Fern Creek at the time. So, yeah, thats a little history lesson on Quentin.

I can think of another example. Former All-State basketball player Josh Sewell(Currently plays basketball for Miami of Ohio) was a star at Trinity '09. He played for Ballard his 8th grade year while attending Kammerer MS then switched to Trinity for high school.

You can't compare any situation in Jefferson County to the ones in Eastern Kentucky. Do not even try. There isnt widespread year-to-year transfering or anything close to the sort.

Complain all you want about "how big" the schools are. Or try and complain about the "open enrollment policy" but I doubt you have even read the policy itself. If you try and transfer in Jefferson County, than you sit out a season. No exceptions. Judges dont meddle into local high school athletics in the 6th and 7th region.

Get real man
:devilflam
masiello Wrote:Its pretty scary to see some of you saying that the Jefferson County open enrollment policy is the same, or possibly worse, then the Eastern KY transfer problem. Notice how many post on this site have to do with this issue. There are actually many rules against recruiting players while they are in middle school in Jefferson County. Its a big deal, because, there are always some random rumors of people hearing about High schoo coaches attending these games. The parents and administrators at the major middle schools are on top of this. How tough are these rules enforced? Probably much tougher than anything in Eastern KY, which is sad since it is middle school athletics. People dont turn a blind eye like in the 14th region...

Comparing Eastern KY transfers to Jefferson County's open enollment policy is comparing apples to oranges. Like I said, you must sit out a year in Jeff. County. Eastern KY schools go around the rules, complain to their judges, and then justify it by saying " Oh well everyone does it. Look at all the big city schools, they do it and win!" .....No, you folks in the 14 and 15th regions are the ones who do it because, unfortunately, high school basketball rules over common sense in your part of the state. How about everyone starts playing by the rules?

I guess you're of the opinion that Trinity, St. X, Lex Cath, Ft. Thomas, Cov Cath, etc., don't recruit, right?

This entire thread started with a douche-like title and the more you talk the more douche baggery occurs.
Masiello, you can call it what you want but the fact is that the schools who consistently win in Jefferson Co. are doing so wth players who live outside the communities in which they play. Granted, most of these kids are doing so well within the rules. The problem is that the rules are incosistent from region to region. Hell they still allow districts to vote on how their tournaments are seeded! I Know that the KHSAA have their hands tied regarding legal issues at times, but this is an organization that has lost what little credibility it ever had!
ky football Wrote:I just say it like this the person that started
This thread has no idea about basketball thru out eastern ky apperantly and that goes
For whoever who made the thread about clay county recruiting is
Crazy just because east ky basketball got some transfers and
Some Canadian players don't mean that every School has done it.... The 13th 14th and 15th
Region champs are home grown.... They are thousands and thousands of athletes in Jefferson county to pick from.... our schools mostly you take what you got from a school of 400 kids and maybe 30 to 40 athletes if your lucky

I believe some of the 14th players are transfers also. Didn't attend knott county entire career.
A previous poster pointed this out, but was completely ignored....Johnson Central won the 15 th region, Johnson Central does not have any of these "CANADIAN TRANSFERS"

Our home grown boys beat the school that imported their players to get to the sweet sixteen, are they to receive no props for that? Or at the very least can they not be rolled into this lump some argument of what you call EKY Cheating? Because these boys won fair and square... and it is a shame that adults cannot even afford them that credit.
Open enrollment = open recruiting until freshman year. Poor little Ballard with only 800 boys in their school battling against the evil empires. The little engine that could would be proud of Ballard slaying the mighty the giants.
smileychipper Wrote:A previous poster pointed this out, but was completely ignored....Johnson Central won the 15 th region, Johnson Central does not have any of these "CANADIAN TRANSFERS"

Our home grown boys beat the school that imported their players to get to the sweet sixteen, are they to receive no props for that? Or at the very least can they not be rolled into this lump some argument of what you call EKY Cheating? Because these boys won fair and square... and it is a shame that adults cannot even afford them that credit.

I thought that Shane Hall lived and grew up in Prestonsburg?
13th Clay Co. Dont think they have any major transfers.
14th Knott Co Doesnt have one kid who plays any significant minutes who transferred
in from another high school. They start 4 sophomores who started school
there when they were freshmen so they didnt transfer in.
15th Johnson Dont know of any major transfers in there as well.

Clay co has a population of about 22k
Knott co has a population of about 17k
Johnson has a population of about 25k

If you add them together it may add up to a small community in Jefferson Co.
None of your so called Canadians on any of these teams Mr Masiello...
The 7th has transfers just as much as EKY
@Warthog - The 7th has as many transfers as EKY? Whatever you are smoking, I want some. These foreign transfer are heading to EKY because they have been sent there by AAU handlers and scumbags like Brandon Bender and Ro Russell who know how to skirt the rules in the mountains. Hell, all you have to do is petition and a judge will allow anyone to play. Eastern KY is the wild-wild-west of high school basketball. Anything goes!
I am amazed how eastern Ky. is being singled out. Scott co, University hgts., Rose Hill, Trinity(football), St. X(football) just to name a few have been recruiting for years. Euton and Jackson went to Scott Co. with no problems.