Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collins boys hope to add to county tradition in Eighth Region
In a county rich in boys' basketball tradition, the Collins High School Titans are trying to make a little history themselves.

The Titans, 24-11 last season and the Eighth Region runners-up to Oldham County, are heavy favorites to win the region this season, adding their name to the tradition established by the old Shelbyville High School and Shelby County High, both of whom won regional crowns (Shelby County also won state titles in 1966 and '78).

"I think our kids understand the tradition of Shelbyville and Shelby County and how rich it is in this county," Collins coach Chris Gaither said. "They have it in their minds that they want to be a part of that by taking Collins to the state tournament and representing the city and the county tradition."

Collins has one of the region's best players to build around in 6-foot-4 senior forward Dez Marshall, who averaged 17 points and five rebounds last season while shooting 55 percent from the field. Always a solid inside player, he spent the summer working on his perimeter game to add another dimension.

"We're going to run a lot of things through him because he finishes really well around the basket," Gaither said. "The thing he is going to be better at this year is getting by people on the outside to give him more shots. He has worked really hard on that, and it has made him a better player."

Another returning starter is 5-9 senior Buddy Johnson, who averaged 10.9 points and hit nearly 40 percent from the 3-point line.

"I would put him up there as maybe the best shooter in the state," Gaither said. "He has a quick release and is a natural shooter."

Joining Marshall inside is 6-6 senior center Terez Smith, who averaged 6.6 points after transferring from Michigan during last season. A solid shot blocker and interior defender, Smith has shown a marked improvement in offensive skills. He will be joined by 6-3 junior forward Ralphie Stone (7.5 ppg). Adding depth are 6-3 senior swingman Zak Wiley, 6-2 Masai White and 6-4 sophomore Mark Sorrells.

The Titans are also solid in the backcourt, where 6-1 point guard Brent Kidwell returns to the program after transferring from state champion Trinity. Kidwell is expected to take some of the ball-handling pressure off Johnson and allow 6-1 shooting guard Lawson Page and 5-10 Jayon Winstead to provide offensive punch from the perimeter.

Gaither said South Oldham (which returned all five starters), Owen County and defending champion Oldham County will be the Titans' biggest threats for the regional crown.

Collins has upgraded its out-of-region schedule with games against Trinity, Madison Central and Bullitt East.

"I think being considered the No. 1 team in the region helps us to focus every day in practice," Gaither said. "I don't think it's so much pressure as it's something that makes us realize we have a target on our backs and makes us want to get better."

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...2311160132