Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Heartbreaking Loss By Your Team
In the 2004 Regional Tourney when AC played East Ridge..that was for sure a really exciting game but it was a real heartbreaker too..SadSad
99/00 South Floyd Magoffin Co Opening Round of 2000 15th Region Tourny
The Hornets hold the ball for the last shot, down one with 23 seconds left......
Jason Back hits a fadeaway J falling to his left to give them the victory 54-53
I still see the shot in my dreams........it still makes me flinch.
allie25 Wrote:In the 2004 Regional Tourney when AC played East Ridge..that was for sure a really exciting game but it was a real heartbreaker too..SadSad

If that's the game that was at P'burg, it was a heartbreaker. as a matter of fact there were several games in that Regional Tourn. that were heartbreakers.
KILROY Wrote:If that's the game that was at P'burg, it was a heartbreaker. as a matter of fact there were several games in that Regional Tourn. that were heartbreakers.

your right....SC v Belfry was tough for the pirates, and the very next game, East Ridge v SC was a tough one for us cardinal fans to swallow.
2004 hazards loss to perry central at district
corndog23 Wrote:your right....SC v Belfry was tough for the pirates, and the very next game, East Ridge v SC was a tough one for us cardinal fans to swallow.

The loss for SC in the '04 semis to East Ridge is the most heartbreaking for me personally. IMO with Shelby Valley out of it SC was the best team left. The whole team played bad but my nephew BMay played horrible and we lost on a last second shot in 2 ot's. For me that was the most heartbreaking because I really thought we were going to state that year.
Oh, this is easy. Sophomore year, ranked #1 in the 15th, last regular season game. It was senior night in P-burg, and they were ranked #2 in the region. Hard fought game the whole way thru. We go up 1 on a 15 footer from the elbow by Jerry Pelphrey with 3 seconds...Blackcats call timeout.

Coming out of the timeout, we set up a 2-2-1 zone press and I'm the 1 in the back of it. Scott hall throws it into Chris Slone who takes 2 dribbles to get to the opposite free throw line, slings one up just before the buzzer and I caught it as it went thru the hoop...we lose by 2.
Big Jim Wrote:Oh, this is easy. Sophomore year, ranked #1 in the 15th, last regular season game. It was senior night in P-burg, and they were ranked #2 in the region. Hard fought game the whole way thru. We go up 1 on a 15 footer from the elbow by Jerry Pelphrey with 3 seconds...Blackcats call timeout.

Coming out of the timeout, we set up a 2-2-1 zone press and I'm the 1 in the back of it. Scott hall throws it into Chris Slone who takes 2 dribbles to get to the opposite free throw line, slings one up just before the buzzer and I caught it as it went thru the hoop...we lose by 2.

Big Jim, what poll was it that had you all ranked #1 and P'burg #2? If I am not mistaken, most polls had McDowell #1 that season, with Paintsville and/or Pikeville #2 most of the time. I remember, because I was a Daredevil that season, starting with Henry Webb, Dickie Joe Shannon and Rady Martin. We had the most heart-breaking loss that season, up 11 at halftime over P'burg in the regional finals, only to lose by 11 in the end. We also had the 2 most heart-breaking losses the season before that, and the season after, in the regional tourney. Lose to Phelps in '88 on a tip-in shot at the buzzer, in OT, in the regional semi's, then lose by 1 point to Jody Thompson and Feds Creek in '90 in the region semi's, a week after beating Pikeville in one of the greatest 15th region games ever played, one of the greatest comebacks!!! 3 years in a row the Daredevils should have went to state.
It was the lexington herald poll. After that game we were ranked 2nd behind those McDowell going into the districts. P-burg was 3rd as I recall, and Pikeville a close 4th. All 4 teams were really good teams who had a legit shot a going to the Sweet 16. We never got in the mix after winning the district easy. Going back to P-burg's gym for the regional, we came out flat against a good young Belfry team and never recovered. We never played against that MacDowell team, lost that heartbreaker at P-burg, but I still thought we had the most talented team in the Region.

Our loss that same year at Pikeville on the WYMT televised game was a close second. Up 1 with no time, Chris Slater makes 2 free throws to win. The foul was called on me...complete bologna...it was a clean blockSmile...and how can you have a foul with no time on the clock? Rough game. I punched a locker in the locker room after the game adn split my hand open...genius, I know.

As far as those polls go, the 4 teams mentioned all spent time in the herald poll on top. We were #1 at the time of the P-burg loss.
2005 Sweet 16: P.R.P 64 Pendleton County 61, Overtime

I'll never forget this one.
last year when BL lost to JC it killed me it was one of the worst losses in my life being so close then losing like that awfull.
I think it really hurts that much more when you (or your team) don't anywhere near as good as they did all season, and a team or team's that you beat in regular season with no problems end up in the championship game. Then you just set and shake your head thinking "It should have been us, It should have been us".
i hate losses
allie25 Wrote:In the 2004 Regional Tourney when AC played East Ridge..that was for sure a really exciting game but it was a real heartbreaker too..SadSad

That was the game that the dad/uncle or something came out of the stands and hit the ref..I have it on tape and that was totally uncalled for.

daredevil4life Wrote:then lose by 1 point to Jody Thompson and Feds Creek in '90 in the region semi's, a week after beating Pikeville in one of the greatest 15th region games ever played, one of the greatest comebacks!!!

:rockon:

thetribe Wrote:That was the game that the dad/uncle or something came out of the stands and hit the ref..I have it on tape and that was totally uncalled for.
I was at that game..lol
thetribe Wrote:That was the game that the dad/uncle or something came out of the stands and hit the ref..I have it on tape and that was totally uncalled for.
Yep that was it, it was an unfortionate situation for everyone involved.
Mr.Baseball2 Wrote:i hate losses

dont every one lol
Last year in the Regional finals, Shelby Valley and Johnson Central
volley_coach14 Wrote:South FLoyd lost in the district tourney two years ago....They would have been a 5-peat!!! It sucked....also when they lost to JC in opening round of region held at SF...
i would have to disagree woth you 2000 the raiders were defeated on a last sec. rainbow shot in the first round of the region by magoffin county. never should have happened
I remember that game...I thought SF was going to state that year
Magoffin's loss to Johnson Central in the 84 regional final was tough to take. Coach Adams deserved that one.