Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Ten Point Guards In The 14th Region?
Ballers Wrote:Pssssss..

Either way, zaga knows this was a failed attempt at some PCC homer to see Braxton up there or to start a dumb debate as to why Braxton shouldnt be #1.

Dumb.

Before you get your panties bunched up and start making up crap - please check your facts. Not everyone on here is a "PCC homer" as you would like to think - and your hypothesis about why this thread was started is 100% off-base and illegitimate. I don't understand what kind of personal issues you have against Perry or Braxton that would cause you to assume that, but for you to randomly spout that off you would probably benefit by talking to a psychologist for an hour or so a week until you work those issues out.

The guy that started this thread is a 100% tride-and-true Cordia Lion and has said on multiple occasions that Justice is the better player between him and Braxton.

Even said once that there is no way Braxton will be able to guard Justice and I can absolutely see where he's coming from.
Things are so much better when Ballers is around.

It simply brings out the best in me.
let's recall that it wasn't long ago that some of the genius' on this site were comparing Beverly to OJ Mayo. That's fair.
UPIKEFAN Wrote:let's recall that it wasn't long ago that some of the genius' on this site were comparing Beverly to OJ Mayo. That's fair.

I don't think they were comparing the two as much as they were simply stating facts. No Middle Schooler in recent memory has done anything on the scale that
Beverly did at the tourney with the exception of Mayo.

That particular statement is a fact but no one in their right mind could look at the two and name Beverly the best player...
but you mention them in the same sentence on here and everyone gets pissy and goes off the deep end.
Maybe you should revisit that thread. You are 100% wrong that the comparison was state tourney only.
UPIKEFAN Wrote:Maybe you should revisit that thread. You are 100% wrong that the comparison was state tourney only.

Did you take the time to go back and look at the thread before you posted that?
Since you asked me to; I obliged.
The original article mentioned it in the context of the post-season - while everyone else got jealous and started flapping their jaws

The opening post was a copy/paste from a max preps article that made the comparison.

Below you will find every post, aside from one word scoffs, that spoke about Braxton and Mayo.

I know what you're thinking....

Zaga just posted the ones that proved his point. This isn't fair.

But no - I posted ALL of them.
But on the off-chance that I missed one that wasn't a one-word response or a few emoticons....
here is the link to the thread - Read here as I continue to bust this dude's balls

Please make sure you have your big-boy pants on before you throw this garbage at me. I don't look at things while I'm blinded by bias, jealousy or hater-ade.

Truth Wrote:You can't be serious. I believe you have a short memory. Have you forgotten Ovinton Mayo? It is absolutely safe to say that this boy as a seventh grader was not remotely comparable to Mayo as a seventh grader.

On the other hand, I see you posted your comment on April Fool's Day. I will assume that that is the reason for the post.

bdub Wrote:He is a great 7th grader and deserves all the praise that he is getting. I agree that he is not the player that OJ Mayo was in the 7th grade. Not because of SKILLS, but because of size. THATS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE, PERIOD!!! I watched OJ and his skills were no better that Beverlys. Believe me when I tell you that ive been around the college game as long as anyone. This kid is a D1 player and if he continues to grow he is a major D1 player.

KentuckyFan35 Wrote:Size and athletic ability. The comparisons to OJ Mayo need to stop. OJ was on a whole other level and that is not a knock on Beverly. I would compare Beverly to Damon Bailey that Bob Knight offered a scholorship to in the 8th grade.

Truth Wrote:Right on target. To compare this boy to Mayo is ridiculous. The only trait in common is that both played varsity basketball as 7th graders. Those believing otherwise must be relatives of Beverly and/or never really saw Mayo play.

Ballers Wrote:Well.. He's good for a 7th grader but he has been held back too..
Can Beverly dunk? Because I'd say Mayo was throwing down when he came out of the womb... That is a crazy comparison IMO.

He does have the talent to get to the next level, but we won't know until the time comes.. Multiple things could happen before then. To whoever said they was 5"10 in 7th grade and they are still 5"10.. I feel your pain.. But from the time I was in 7th grade to now, my street game/in-game performance got much better as I grew. I believe that is what most ppl are referring too. His basketball IQ is about as good as it can get.. If he keeps up the work ethic I for one don't believe it's a crazy thought at all.. Put on a little muscle and a few inches here and there.. He will be D1 ready.

itzAmazing Wrote:Easy now. An OJ Mayo comparison is a bit out there. Beverly is a terrific talent, but Mayo is playing significant minutes for an NBA team in the playoffs. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I wish the kid the best of luck.

superfreak Wrote:I've never said one negative comment about the boy. I actually enjoyed watching him play, but i'm not going to speculate about how good he may become because he just may never play at the level you think he will. All im saying is people (family like you) get on here and turn people against him with stupid OJ Mayo comparisons. Personally I hope he does well, but im not about to even say he will play D1 or any college bb at this point. Give it a rest big guy.:rockon:

LClion4life Wrote:He's not trying to put him down. Moreso, he's trying to protect the kid from these OJ Mayo comparisons. That will only hurt him inthe long run because there is no way he can live up to that.

MIA30 Wrote:I've played against the kid..he's good. hold back or no hold back he has talent to get to the next level. With the whole convo about comparing him with O.J Mayo is a little far. He is only in the 8th grade..counting this year he has five until college. A lot of time for injuries and many more problems..but thats up to him.
You really think you're witty. Big boy pants. You do nothing more than prove my point with what you quoted. It ends up being a bash session on the kid. Surely in your omniscience you can't disagree with that notion. If you have the slightest desire to see the kid not raked over the coals, why make comparisons to a guy who he simply can't live up to. Yes I read the thread, all of it, when it was on the board months ago. You post these to prove your point? If you think every one of those posts are about Mayo's state tourney performance vs. Beverly's performance then you have a reading comprehension problem. If you're gonna crow and copy and paste like you think you've done something, it's appropriate to argue to disprove someone else's stance, not enhance it.

But by all means, let's keep those comparisons alive and well. I hope that one day when Beverly gets to the NBA you can revisit this thread and toss it up for some crow for all of us "haters" to chew on. By default you propagate the angst towards the kid by being an a$$.
UPIKEFAN Wrote:You really think you're witty. Big boy pants. You do nothing more than prove my point with what you quoted. It ends up being a bash session on the kid. Surely in your omniscience you can't disagree with that notion. If you have the slightest desire to see the kid not raked over the coals, why make comparisons to a guy who he simply can't live up to. Yes I read the thread, all of it, when it was on the board months ago. You post these to prove your point? If you think every one of those posts are about Mayo's state tourney performance vs. Beverly's performance then you have a reading comprehension problem. If you're gonna crow and copy and paste like you think you've done something, it's appropriate to argue to disprove someone else's stance, not enhance it.

But by all means, let's keep those comparisons alive and well. I hope that one day when Beverly gets to the NBA you can revisit this thread and toss it up for some crow for all of us "haters" to chew on. By default you propagate the angst towards the kid by being an a$$.

Mayo was mentioned ONCE in that article...
and it was 100% in reference to the State Tournament performance.

Quote:Mike Fields, veteran sports writer for the Lexington Herald-Leader, pointed out that O.J. Mayo had 25 points and 10 rebounds in a state tournament game against Louisville Ballard, but he was in eighth grade. Another eighth grader, Richie Farmer, played very sparingly during a brief state tourney appearance.

Then everyone goes off the deep end and says...
ermahgerd errbody these people think that Braxton is as good as OJ Mayo

Ballers, in his infinite wisdom, pointed out the fact that Mayo can dunk. I said that I didn't see Steve Nash or John Stockton throw it down a lot but they did fine. Then I got a reply saying that I was comparing Braxton to Stockton....

It's an endless cycle of people getting butt-hurt and saying crap.
You argue in circles. We are talking about the discussion that you multiquoted. Not talking about that article. And you're right about one thing, lot's of crap.

I'll say again, the rankings of kids like this are usually daddies or uncles or mommies trying to put one down to promote their own. It's a toilet, let's all crap in it before we flush.
What about John Turner from Jackson City he is a very good point guard for his age, just a freshman I think.
this summer leslie county went to centre collages team camp and after it was over thet lost 2 games while they was there. centres coaches was highly impressed with leslies point gaurd and took his info down and said they was goning to stay in touch with him. his name is blake bray.
Are we really ranking the top 10 point guards in a 15 or 16 team region?
My point was most people on here can't even list 10 point guards..
The only one that comes to mind is Beverly's name..

And I still have not seen on person list 10 PG's since the thread is created..
There's not 10 true PGs in the 14th region. The kid from Breathitt, not sure of name, is pretty good. Obviously Beverly is going to be #1 simply because IMO Justice isn't a PG. LCC's starting PG is very good and now this years team is his. If all is true about the Canada boy at JBS look out for him too.
Based on Rick Bolus Top Players in Kentucky. And what postiton he has them as.
http://kyprephoops.com/1213/2012OctKYBoys.html
1. Braxton Beverly (Perry County Central)-The Second 25
2. Casey Hall (Jenkins)-The Third 25
3. Trey Marcum (Powell County)-Honorable Mentions

Thats all he has listed from the mountains on his top players that are PG.
Bolus has little clue about the play in the mountains or anywhere else unless you ponied up to attend his camp. His once popular and important camp has become nothing more than a money grab in my humble opinion. Heck, I trust our opinion in this thread more than I'd trust his.
Now after looking at Rick Bolus Rankings. And seeing some of the players in the 14th. My Top 10 are.
1. Braxton Beverly (PCC)
2. Cameron Justice (KCC) More of a combo guard.
3. Casey Hall (Jenkins)
4. Alex Hamilton (Breathitt Co.)
5. Josh Hollan (Hazard)
6. Cody Gregory (LCC) Could move up since it is finally his team.
7. Trey Marcum (Powell Co.)
8. ....
9. ....
I cant think of anymore. That ive seen play that i could even consider a PG. Maybe Jackson City PG, Buckhorn did good so maybe their PG, and for the last one Cordia PG.
im sick of hearing braxton beverly's name, i watched him play last year and i wasnt impressed what so ever. people give him a lot more credit than he actually should get. and trey marcum isnt even a point guard, john hubbard is powell countys point guard and he is prolly #4 on that list...
ballers20 Wrote:im sick of hearing braxton beverly's name, i watched him play last year and i wasnt impressed what so ever. people give him a lot more credit than he actually should get. and trey marcum isnt even a point guard, john hubbard is powell countys point guard and he is prolly #4 on that list...
I was just trying to prove a point. You cant even name 10 point guards from the 14th. Most teams dont even have a true pg. Mstly combo guards. Ive not been told trey was a point, just that he was the only name to come to mind when thinking of guards lol
Trey is the shooting guard. Monnett was the point guard. I must say that Trey is the best shooter in the region hands down. Kid can flat out knock the 3 down
Strikeout King Wrote:Trey is the shooting guard. Monnett was the point guard. I must say that Trey is the best shooter in the region hands down. Kid can flat out knock the 3 down

I've never seen the kid play, but Camron Justice ain't to bad...
Downtown10 Wrote:I've never seen the kid play, but Camron Justice ain't to bad...

Very dangerous 3 point shooter. Kid has hit many game tying or game winning 3's from just crossing mid court at the buzzer. Last year he made 95/235 3 pointers. If I ain't mistaking that's more than any other player in region
jake
While Marcum attempted and made more Justice shot 6% better from 3pt. There's no doubt that Marcum is a good shooter, but IMO there's no one hands down a better shooter than Justice...
I've seen them both play and IMO I'd take Marcum over Justice as the shooter