Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry '04 vs Breathitt '02
Best matchup out of the bunch, IMO.
I can't decide on this one yet either.
Could go either way, but I pick Belfry.
Belfry in a close one
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This game would resemble the 03 Breathitt Co and Russell game in the state semi finals, only Belfry would be much better than Russell IMO. Russell was to big for the Bobcats and they ran over top of them most of the night. I see Belfry doing the same. Belfry would still have Jones and Howard who would be the best 2 players on the field (yes I know I have put them above Haddix). This would be a close game, but Belfry would dictate the flow of the game with their power ball control offense and would not do anything to beat themselves. (Classic Phillip Haywood ball) I''ll have to go with the Pond Creek Nation again, only because Russell had so much success aginst the Bobcats in the same year in a run heavy offense. (Granted Russell runs a wing-t and Belfry runs the bone) It would be a great matchup but I think the final would be something like 35-21 with the Pirates coming away with the W.
Both very good squads and both deserve respect IMO.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Matney's Prodigey Wrote:This game would resemble the 03 Breathitt Co and Russell game in the state semi finals, only Belfry would be much better than Russell IMO. Russell was to big for the Bobcats and they ran over top of them most of the night. I see Belfry doing the same. Belfry would still have Jones and Howard who would be the best 2 players on the field (yes I know I have put them above Haddix). This would be a close game, but Belfry would dictate the flow of the game with their power ball control offense and would not do anything to beat themselves. (Classic Phillip Haywood ball) I''ll have to go with the Pond Creek Nation again, only because Russell had so much success aginst the Bobcats in the same year in a run heavy offense. (Granted Russell runs a wing-t and Belfry runs the bone) It would be a great matchup but I think the final would be something like 35-21 with the Pirates coming away with the W.
I think this game would not be close if Belfry did not have a pass threat because Breathitt's defense is designed to stop the kind of running game Belfry has. The games that have been close between these two teams have been when Belfry has had a passing game to at least keep Breathitt thinking alittle. Again, I respect both teams and feel that unless Belfry had a passing game the matchup between these two teams in the years given would not be within 10 points.

The last time we beat Breathitt we didnt pass. I played then it was at Breathitt. They do a good job of stopping our run game but Pburg and Middlesboro both had amazing talent in 04 and they could slow us down but not stop us completely. Breathitts line that year was small and fast and good. But I think that would have hurt them more with Doug because most smallers guys have trouble bringing him down. You dont know how hard he is to tackle until you attempt to tackle him. This game would be an instant classic. Also Paul could drop backl and suprise you with a pass from time to time he was a good qb he just never really had to pass because of the tremendous backfield and everyone forgets we also had G Chidress running through and opening up nice holes also.
And Paul also graduated lol. I was witht he wrong Belfry team. Doug and David were better their senior year so I really dont have a clue. I just dont think Breathitt would stop th em completely but Breathitt would get some points also. Alot of this game depends on were it is played I think. Breathitt may win at Breathitt but anywere else I think Belfry .
Great game no matter what the score would be, these games are always fun to watch.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I think this game would not be close if Belfry did not have a pass threat because Breathitt's defense is designed to stop the kind of running game Belfry has. The games that have been close between these two teams have been when Belfry has had a passing game to at least keep Breathitt thinking alittle. Again, I respect both teams and feel that unless Belfry had a passing game the matchup between these two teams in the years given would not be within 10 points.

But Russell did not have a passing game and they played the Bobcats to a 1 point OT loss. They also had 4 turn-overs. Belfry would not had turned the ball over that much . Why would Belfry need to pass? They seldom ever pass and they still continue to win. That logic makes no sense. They are winning by running so why would they need to pass to win that game? This is all speculation, but saying they have to have a passing attack makes no sense. It dosn't matter that you know whats coming, what matters is you can stop what is coming. Breathitt couldn't stop Russell (they stoped themselves) and they would not have stopped Belfry IMO.
Matney's Prodigey Wrote:But Russell did not have a passing game and they played the Bobcats to a 1 point OT loss. They also had 4 turn-overs. Belfry would not had turned the ball over that much . Why would Belfry need to pass? They seldom ever pass and they still continue to win. That logic makes no sense. They are winning by running so why would they need to pass to win that game? This is all speculation, but saying they have to have a passing attack makes no sense. It dosn't matter that you know whats coming, what matters is you can stop what is coming. Breathitt couldn't stop Russell (they stoped themselves) and they would not have stopped Belfry IMO.

All you ever hear Breathitt Co. folks say is that their D is set up to stop the run.

NEWSFLASH: 99.9% of mountain teams gear up their squads to stop the run because 99.9 percent of mountain teams are running teams. So in essence, they play the same style of defense all the other teams in the mountains play.
Mr. Right Wrote:All you ever hear Breathitt Co. folks say is that their D is set up to stop the run.

NEWSFLASH: 99.9% of mountain teams gear up their squads to stop the run because 99.9 percent of mountain teams are running teams. So in essence, they play the same style of defense all the other teams in the mountains play.
I agree with what your saying. Breathitt has a great run D but Belfry still has gave them great games without Doug and David in the backfield and not passed alot. But with Doug and David Breathitt would still have trouble stopping them because that backfield was better than 99.9 percent of the others in the mountains.