Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County to host 13th Regional Tournament
Harlan Daily Enterprise
HCHS awarded 2013 regional tournament
JOHN MIDDLETON, Sports Editor

Harlan County High School fans enjoy arguably the best high school basketball gymnasium in the state – the rest of the 13th Region will now get that opportunity, as the school was selected to host the 2013 regional tournament.

Read more:
http://harlandaily.com/bookmark/19146408
That's awesome. That place is fantastic.
I hope this is the end of the region being played at the arena. The arena was not designed for basketball and is an awful place to watch a game.
hoops_town Wrote:I hope this is the end of the region being played at the arena. The arena was not designed for basketball and is an awful place to watch a game.
Are you talking about Harlan County?
Thank goodness---------- couldn't even see the players on the court at the arena. Its a great place to watch a tractor pull but awful for a basketball game!
Maybe with Harlan county getting it next year it can go back to the local schools for the coming years!
I like having it at the high Schools better than having it at the arena
Personally i like the Arena better.
You can sit off to yourself everyyear and watch a game instead of getting put beside some huge smelly ass mountain man and a lot of the gyms are to small to host, even the ones that were hosting.

Its changed. Once every decade or so it will be at Harlan County. The rest of the time i think they made a great choice of having it at the Arena.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Personally i like the Arena better.
You can sit off to yourself everyyear and watch a game instead of getting put beside some huge smelly ass mountain man and a lot of the gyms are to small to host, even the ones that were hosting.

Its changed. Once every decade or so it will be at Harlan County. The rest of the time i think they made a great choice of having it at the Arena.

It will go to Harlan County for just this year...... Then next year it will go back to the Arena for the last year of the contract.
Should be a nice tourney at HC!
If it were up to me, I'd have the tournament at The Arena three out of four years and at Harlan County when it's the 52nd District's turn.

I think it will go back to the 49th District and Jackson County next year. I don't think Jackson's gym would be big enough, so it will probably be at The Arena in 2014. I don't know if anyone's gym besides HCHS is big enough to guarantee the money that is required.

It's my understanding that contracts can be awarded for only one year.
This was from the story on Harlan County Sports.com

Tackett pointed out in the memo that the new Harlan County school was in the planning and construction phases at the time the tournament was awarded to The Arena. He also noted that the "agreement was to be year to year, to be evaluated based on all circumstances."
^
Good post.

As you said, HC's gym is the only one capable of being large enough to generate what it needs.

Ive seen regions at Corbin, Wburg, and Whitley, which are three of the larger gyms in the 13th and there wasnt enough room at all, plus they have to clear the building in between games in order for fans to be able to get a seat to watch there team, the Arena and possibly HC eliminates that.

As you said, it could be at Harlan County every four years, when its there districts turn, but would Bell, Harlan, and Mboro want to do it there? I suppose it would be there choice and it seems like them schools would rather have it at the Arena.
So if all of the other schools in the 13th choose not to have it at HC, then it would be close to 20 years before it would be back at HC, correct?
If all of the schools in the 13th besides HC decide to still have it at the Arena every year, it will continue to be there, and the only time it could be at HC is when its there turn to host.
If no one else in the district wants to have it at HCHS, it would be 16 years (four teams in our district) before it's back at Harlan County. I would imagine Harlan would want to play it at Harlan County because of the impact it would have on local businesses, but I don't know about Bell and Middlesboro. I'm guessing it's going to be here again in four years (Harlan High School's turn), but then it would probably be another 12 years before it comes back.
^
:Thumbs:
Glad to see the 13th region take the regional tournament back to the high schools. I wish that the coaches here in the 15th region would wise up and move our regional tournament back to the high schools and get away from that white elephant known as the Expo Center. Much better atmosphere at high school gym.:Shaking:
Jed Clampett Wrote:Glad to see the 13th region take the regional tournament back to the high schools. I wish that the coaches here in the 15th region would wise up and move our regional tournament back to the high schools and get away from that white elephant known as the Expo Center. Much better atmosphere at high school gym.:Shaking:

At least the Expo can be set up to watch basketball......
This is great news for our community to host the Regionals at HC and by judging the great job they did with the district this past year they will do even better next year with a bigger event. Every four years would be good enough for me if it can be worked out between the other schools in the 52nd district.
-
Saw this in the Sentinel-Echo by Les Dixon who is the sports editor of The Times-Tribune
-
http://www.sentinel-echo.com/localsports...s-its-wish
-
.....the Arena has been host of both the 13th Region Boys and Girls Tournaments the past three years and Connie Hunt, general manager of The Arena, admitted she hated to lose the regional tournaments next season, but didn’t rule out The Arena hosting them in the future.

“We’re disappointed we’re not going to be the host next year,” she said. “We feel like it has always been an honor to host it. I don’t think we did anything wrong and as far as I know, from the feedback I have received, everything has been positive.
-
I have no complaints about the Arena staff and management, the parking is great, and Corbin does have some nice places to eat, BUT....

has she talked to the fans who have to sit in those comfortable seats that are so far from the floor that you seem to be sitting on the last row of Rupp Arena?
-
^
Id take those seats that are, lets be honest, not that far from the floor over setting humped up on bleachers beside somebody you dont know anyday.

Some of you act like the arena is this huge place where you can even see a game, when in reality it doesnt hold that many people.
wildone89 Wrote:Thank goodness---------- couldn't even see the players on the court at the arena. Its a great place to watch a tractor pull but awful for a basketball game!
Maybe with Harlan county getting it next year it can go back to the local schools for the coming years!

I can't see it being held anywhere else besides The Arena or Harlan County. There is not another high school gym large enough in my opinion.
^
:truestory: