Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds 3 - Braves 1
Chapman looked questionable in the 8th, then in three pitches, he was SICK!
ATLANTA - Homer Bailey did not get the win for the Reds Monday night. But he put them in perfect position to win.

And win they did. The Reds scored a pair of runs in the eighth on RBI doubles by Brandon Phillips and Chris Heisey to beat the Atlanta Braves 3-1 before a crowd of 19,697 at Turner Field.

• Box score
• John Fay's Reds blog
• Follow John Fay on Twitter
• More news from Redleg Nation

Bailey bounced back very well from his disaster of a start in Milwaukee. He allowed six runs over just 3 2/3 innings in an 8-3 loss to the Brewers on Wednesday.

Monday against the Atlanta Braves, Bailey only allowed one run over 6 2/3 innings. He gave up six hits, walked two and struck out three. The Braves came into the game leading the National League in runs, averaging 5.4 per games. The Braves scored 9, 7 and 7 in sweeping the St. Louis Cardinals.

"He threw a heck of a game against a very good and very tough, especially a left-handed, lineup," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "That's the best game he's thrown this year. It was encouraging to see that."

Bailey was not nearly as impressed with his outing.

"It could have been a hell of a lot better," he said.

Bailey left with the score 1-1.

The Reds rallied immediately after he was out of the game. Drew Stubbs led off the eighth with an infield single off Atlanta left-hander Jonny Venters. Venters got Joey Votto. But Phillips hit one off the wall in center to make it 2-1. He was 0-for-4 against Venters coming in.

"He's a nasty pitcher," Phillips said. "I was trying to stay up the middle and find something to drive. I was pulling the ball and getting jammed all day. I said, 'I get to find a way to get the (bat) head out some kind of way.' He left one right there and hit it. I was just glad to get it out of the infield."

After Venters got Jay Bruce for the second out, Heisey hit one into the gap to make 3-1.

"That was a big base hit to make it 3-1 instead of 2-1," Baker said. "We've been looking for that for a while. It's good to see those hard line drives that I know Heisey can hit. That's much needed in those RBI situations."

The eighth was an adventure for the Reds.

Logan Ondrusek, who finished the seventh for Bailey, allowed leadoff single to Martin Prado. Jack Wilson bunted one to first baseman Joey Votto. He threw to second to force Prado.

"That was a big play," Baker said. "That's a base hit with nobody on. To throw to second at that angle is a tough play."

Wilson moved up on a wild pitch. Dan Uggla then walked. That was it for Ondrusek.

Left-hander Aroldis Chapman came on to face Brian McCann. He gave a 96 mph fastball a good ride to right, but Bruce caught at the track. Wilson went to third. Chipper Jones walked to load the bases.

Chapman got ahead of Jason Heyward with a 99 and 100 mph fastballs. Chapman nearly hit Heyward with a 101 pitch. Chapman then threw a 90 mph slider. Heyward missed it two feet.

"Ondrusek got Bailey out Homer of trouble, and Chapman got Ondrusek out of trouble," Baker said. "It's it's huge when those guys and come in pick each other up."

The Braves had won four of five coming to move into first place in the National League East.

"The Braves have been playing real good baseball," Phillips said. "Just come in and try to get the first one. Homer pitched a great game. We came through when we had the chances. I'm glad we found a way to win it."

The Reds took a 1-0 lead in the fourth. Bruce and Heisey reached on back-to-back, two-out singles. Todd Frazier followed with routine groundball to shortstop Tyler Pastornicky. He flipped to second to try to force Heisey. The problem was second baseman Dan Uggla didn't cover. The ball rolled toward first, allowing Bruce to score.

Bailey did not allow a run until the fifth. Michael Bourn shot one down the right field line. He motored around for a triple. Martin Prado followed with flyball to medium right. Bruce's throw was to the first base since of home. Catcher Devin Mesoraco tried to catch the ball and make the tag in the one motion. But the ball got by him.

Bourn was safe to make it 1-1.http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|text|Reds
Keep at it Reds!!!
Homer Bailey pitched his best game of the year tonight...I hope he keeps it up.

Johnny Cueto going for the 2 game sweep tomorrow.